Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reseeding 2015

• 20-06-2015 3:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭

Haven't spotted a thread like this this year so here goes.

2 self made mixes for grazing land: a good land mix and a heavy land mix.

6JFEBF.jpg

6iRrLd.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭welton john

Got a similar heavy ground mix last year. Really persistent grass and hard to break the skin after it. How much acre that mix ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Abergain monoculture. Sprayed for weeds on monday. Will be grazed in next few days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭browned

just do it wrote: »
    Haven't spotted a thread like this this year so here goes.

2 self made mixes for grazing land: a good land mix and a heavy land mix.

6JFEBF.jpg

6iRrLd.jpg

Have 4 of those seeds in monocoltures. Not a massive fan of glenveagh so far, cows haven't taken fully to it yet.

Drumbo is a very good grass seed, good digestibility for a diploid and cows seem to like it.

Aberchoice is slow germinating but very good summer growth

Abergain is a super grass. Bit open and I'd question its longevity but cows absolutely love it and it grows some tonnage.

How they preform as a mix i have no idea. Too many variables

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Got a similar heavy ground mix last year. Really persistent grass and hard to break the skin after it. How much acre that mix ?

Probably work out at about 13.2kg/ac. The 2 reseeds I've done so far have shown the importance of post reseed management. Drove one on and it's flying. First one didn't get grazed frequently enough and hasn't performed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Probably work out at about 13.2kg/ac. The 2 reseeds I've done so far have shown the importance of post reseed management. Drove one on and it's flying. First one didn't get grazed frequently enough and hasn't performed as well.

Who did the mix for you JDI ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭jfh

Anyone get the seeds of farm direct.
    Saw them at the sheep expo yesterday & looked decant, don't have the mixes to hand now

Robson99 wrote: »
    Who did the mix for you JDI ?

Seeddirect.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭gazahayes

Is it gone too late to spray off for a reseed or should I wait till September time? Field is full of thistles and old grasses topped it the other day.

gazahayes wrote: »
    Is it gone too late to spray off for a reseed or should I wait till September time? Field is full of thistles and old grasses topped it the other day.

Fire ahead unless are in the southeast of the country which may get little rain. Have 10 acres to do in the next fortnight here

I'm reseeding now to allow a few grazings before winter. Reseeded 2 years ago in September and didn't get parts of it grazed till late the following spring. It is no where near as good quality as the reseed I did last June.

• Advertisement

Hope to spray off 2 fields next month depending on weather at time if course

Hope to spray off 2 fields next month depending on weather at time if course

You'd a slow reseed to take I'd I remember rightly? How's it now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

9 acres to do here,it's a plot I have on year to year lease but has rag worth ,and thistles scattered through it .sprayed it with d50 after last grazing to knock rag worth mainly ,got a good kill on thistles also..graze again end of week then leave for a few days and in with roundup .14 kg per acre then of Tyrella ,abbergain and Aston energy mix

It's better than what was in it ill put it that way.
    ah its okay. Has grown 7t already but alot of meadow grass is in the base due it not getting going quick enough and smothering it. It won't last 10 yrs I'd say any way

mahoney_j wrote: »
    9 acres to do here,it's a plot I have on year to year lease but has rag worth ,and thistles scattered through it .sprayed it with d50 after last grazing to knock rag worth mainly ,got a good kill on thistles also..graze again end of week then leave for a few days and in with roundup .14 kg per acre then of Tyrella ,abbergain and Aston energy mix
    Will you try direct drill?
    Very happy with mine really cone on in last 10 days. Will use it in next 2 fields. Good level fields

Was thinking of going with the following for a grazing mix

Abergain. 4kg
    Aston energy 3kg
    Aberchoice 4kg
    Drumbo. 3kg

14kg per acre. Thoughts on the above mix would be appreciated as I usually go with a pre mix when reseeding. Beef system

That's thus yrs heifers grazing top half if it.
    Was bales taken off it 3 wks ago. Cover of 900 on it now

That's thus yrs heifers grazing top half if it.
    Was bales taken off it 3 wks ago. Cover of 900 on it now

You're only teasing us now telling us its not great ;).

Will you try direct drill?
    Very happy with mine really cone on in last 10 days. Will use it in next 2 fields. Good level fields

Yep 2 runs of ripper then in with one pass and roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

How much per acre does it work out at, all in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

When u say ripper, do u mean some type sub soiler/mole plough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Not much point in spraying if ur just after topping it, u need a bit of leaf to take in the round-up. Remember it's the last grass that comes up is the one u want to kill the most

Abergain. 4kg
    Aston energy 3kg
    Aberchoice 4kg
    Drumbo. 3kg

14kg per acre. Thoughts on the above mix would be appreciated as I usually go with a pre mix when reseeding. Beef system

Anyone????

Anyone????

Yep good mix. Cows love Aston energy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Abergain. 4kg
    Aston energy 3kg
    Aberchoice 4kg
    Drumbo. 3kg

Great mix will take some grazing and would love loads of N.

I'm wondering about the persistence of all these new seeds.

The old boys Cancan and Navan will be hard beaten

Anyone????
    All 4 are ones I'd earmarked as being good. All late and within 5-7 days of each other? 30% tetraploid? Looks like a mix for good land.

Dunedin wrote: »
    How much per acre does it work out at, all in.

2 runs of ripper and one pass 70 euro/acre

Great mix will take some grazing and would love loads of N.

I was just saying the same thing to dad last week. Field that was swt aside and sown 10 yr ago here growing as much so far as recent reseeds.
    Think dad said it was 2 varietys in it.
    One was Portstewart but he can't remember what the other one was

All 4 are ones I'd earmarked as being good. All late and within 5-7 days of each other? 30% tetraploid? Looks like a mix for good land.

Think its 50%tet 50%dip. Will be used for fattening cattle. Not going to bother with clover as I don't think its worth the hassle. Not sure whether to use kintyre or Aston energy. Hope the sward wont be too open.

Thanks for the replies lads

• Advertisement

Think its 50%tet 50%dip. Will be used for fattening cattle. Not going to bother with clover as I don't think its worth the hassle. Not sure whether to use kintyre or Aston energy. Hope the sward wont be too open.

Seen a monoculture if Kintyre in early Feb. Was closed up at 800 opened at 2000.
    Lovely grass with a nice wide leaf. Grew 20t for that man the previous yr.

If u don't want an open award use 80% plus diploid grasses ,

If u don't want an open award use 80% plus diploid grasses ,

was talking to a seed merchant and she was saying that it takes 18 years for seeds to go from an idea to sales so in reality all new seeds were thought up way back in the late 90's. Might have been more of an emphasis on silage yields and quality back then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Often wondered if a DNA analysis was done on the grass in a grazing paddock say 10 years after reseed how many of the original varieties would still be present. My own theory is that the variety that best suits the site the management of a particular farmer would dominate and there may be only one variety present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Some of you seem to be fans of monocultures . Why choose over a 3 way mix for example.
    Team of bulls for breeding,team of seed varieties no?

• Advertisement

Some of you seem to be fans of monocultures . Why choose over a 3 way mix for example.
    Team of bulls for breeding,team of seed varieties no?

Do you put 3 straws into a cow at any one service?

Part of a monoculture trial with teagasc so that's why I'm going that way. The way I see it In time I'll see which variety suits the farm best. Any any rate there's 11 different monocultures growing on the farm so should be a higher reliability than having them all in a 3 way mix

Would never put in single monoculture ,if it fails or ain't palatable etc your frigged.3/4 varieties spreads risk .reseeding is a great job but to put single variety in is too brig a risk

Would never put in single monoculture ,if it fails or ain't palatable etc your frigged.3/4 varieties spreads risk .reseeding is a great job but to put single variety in is too brig a risk

Wouldn't it be very very rare that a crop would fail as a result of the seed alone?

a benefit to monocultures is that tetraploids and diploids require different management as in diploids need to be grazing at a lower covers to maintain palatability throughout the summer.

Also taking part in grass trials with moorepark.
    I don't see a risk with it tbh
    any reseed can fail don't see how it could fail just because it's a monoculture
    also get access to the best advice in the country and the most recent research
    you could just as easily get an unpattable reseed if it was in a mix

Also taking part in grass trials with moorepark.
    I don't see a risk with it tbh
    any reseed can fail don't see how it could fail just because it's a monoculture
    also get access to the best advice in the country and the most recent research
    you could just as easily get an unpattable reseed if it was in a mix

Yep fair point gg ,but reseeding gives huge return,.to chance it by using one variety or skimping on fert lime etc is a big gamble.greenfield have some monocultures that are very unpalatable and can't get cows to graze them properly and have also heard of it on other farms..on the more park trial farms will they be compensated if a monoculture proves a failure???.

• Advertisement

Yep fair point gg ,but reseeding gives huge return,.to chance it by using one variety or skimping on fert lime etc is a big gamble.greenfield have some monocultures that are very unpalatable and can't get cows to graze them properly and have also heard of it on other farms..on the more park trial farms will they be compensated if a monoculture proves a failure???.
    Agree no point in reseeding if your going to skimp on fert or lime.
    I'd doubt it tbh mj. It's down to you. Seed is given to you so ye can't really blame them.
    They have reseeded one field in greenfield recently the cows didn't like to eat what was in it previously. Sown to aston energy now.
    last yrs one they did on the new ground the cows don't seem to like. Happened that it got taken out for bales for its second grazing dunno how it's got on since

what variety did they remove? i know a lot of farmers on the trial who were complaining about tyrella. ive had a paddock sown with mezquita which I was cursing for years and just an alteration in grazing and its flying this year with cows licking it to the floor

browned wrote: »
    what variety did they remove? i know a lot of farmers on the trial who were complaining about tyrella. ive had a paddock sown with mezquita which I was cursing for years and just an alteration in grazing and its flying this year with cows licking it to the floor

Abigail said it last day. Ive forgotten it now. I'll know wednesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Do certain grass types suit certain years and ground conditions ?
    Some grass types mightn't be as palatable or productive in a normal year ( what ever that is ?) but come into their own in a drought .
    Often thought grass types and mixes should be rated over 10 years or so ( life of a reseed)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

location soil type and management id say play the biggest parts. a farmer less than 40 minutes from me loves the variety majestic while ive no mass in it

I think tetraploids are more suited to drought conditions. the reason the mezquita is preforming better is cause im grazing it at a lower height compared to other years. diploids tend to have greater ground cover so the thick swards makes it difficult to get good clean outs if it gets too bulky. visually speaking I'd graze a diploid when it looks to have a cover of say 1,000.
    any seed that is new this year was bred maybe 18 years ago so they've probably had years of field trials.

Cut this square yesterday at 3 o clock in reseed.
    Have it half fenced today. Stakes to drive tomorrow and get water sorted and cows will be in in 3 - 4 days

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

Cut this square yesterday at 3 o clock in reseed.
    Have it half fenced today. Stakes to drive tomorrow and get water sorted and cows will be in in 3 - 4 days

when was it sowed

when was it sowed

The 1st of May

I was just saying the same thing to dad last week. Field that was swt aside and sown 10 yr ago here growing as much so far as recent reseeds.
    Think dad said it was 2 varietys in it.
    One was Portstewart but he can't remember what the other one was
    I'd never forget such a thing ..... once my spreadsheets don't get lost somewhere in the cloud!

What was the alteration?

• Advertisement
Advertisement