Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reseeding 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Cut this square yesterday at 3 o clock in reseed.
    Have it half fenced today. Stakes to drive tomorrow and get water sorted and cows will be in in 3 - 4 days

Did it get post-emergence spray? Flying it by the looks of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

just do it wrote: »
    Did it get post-emergence spray? Flying it by the looks of it.

Yep last Monday. Bit of rain would crown it. The slits that were cut with drill have opened up with the lack of moisture

Yep last Monday. Bit of rain would crown it. The slits that were cut with drill have opened up with the lack of moisture

Those cracks are natures cure for compaction ;). Some of them can run to 1m deep. They also allow grass roots to go deeper to find water

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

What mix would ye recommend for graze&silage 2cuts. Usually use Drumbo,abergain&Tyrella on grazing ground. Great mix. But don't know how well that mix would go with silage cutting. Was going to include some Astonenergy this time. Any recommendations ( free draining ground)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Those of you using monocultures: Which varieties do you find best for paletability?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭skoger

Probably work out at about 13.2kg/ac. The 2 reseeds I've done so far have shown the importance of post reseed management. Drove one on and it's flying.First one didn't get grazed frequently enough and hasn't performed as well.

What did you do differently between the 2 fields? Extra N? Grazed earlier or tighter?

Robson99 wrote: »
    Think its 50%tet 50%dip. Will be used for fattening cattle. Not going to bother with clover as I don't think its worth the hassle. Not sure whether to use kintyre or Aston energy. Hope the sward wont be too open.

Thanks for the replies lads
    mahoney_j wrote: »
    If u don't want an open award use 80% plus diploid grasses ,

Have to agree with mahoney. At a group meeting last night the adviser said you shouldn't really go below 75% diploid and definitely no less than 60%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭browned

Those of you using monocultures: Which varieties do you find best for paletability?

Abergain by a country mile. Cows will consistly eat it to the ground. Very leafy and a bit open so it makes it easy for cows to graze

[/quote] Have to agree with mahoney. At a group meeting last night the adviser said you shouldn't really go below 75% diploid and definitely no less than 60%[/quote]

moorepark research showed that cows grazed on tetraploids produced 4% higher milk yields and 5% more milk solids due to their higher leaf proportion, higher digestibility and better utilisation in comparison to diploids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

browned wrote: »
    Have to agree with mahoney. At a group meeting last night the adviser said you shouldn't really go below 75% diploid and definitely no less than 60%[/quote]

moorepark research showed that cows grazed on tetraploids produced 4% higher milk yields and 5% more milk solids due to their higher leaf proportion, higher digestibility and better utilisation in comparison to diploids.[/quote]
    I beg to differ ,I've one field of 50% t 50% d from dads time left (7 year old reseed )cows do clean it but no better than high diploid varieties .that field is a pain ,really open sward ,poor ground cover ,grass just grows up and always suspectible to docks.only thing I do like about it is the fact it didn't shut down near as quick in drought as diploids.thsnkfully we don't get many though .as for the more park trials ,can't comment but I'm very happy with what I grow and solids and yields produced off high diploids.as long as grass is grazed and pitted/baled at correct stage don't think it matters a ****e what variety

• Advertisement

I beg to differ ,I've one field of 50% t 50% d from dads time left (7 year old reseed )cows do clean it but no better than high diploid varieties .that field is a pain ,really open sward ,poor ground cover ,grass just grows up and always suspectible to docks.only thing I do like about it is the fact it didn't shut down near as quick in drought as diploids.thsnkfully we don't get many though .as for the more park trials ,can't comment but I'm very happy with what I grow and solids and yields produced off high diploids.as long as grass is grazed and pitted/baled at correct stage don't think it matters a ****e what variety

is one paddock of which only 50% is a tetraploid a large enough
    sample to highlight the shortcomings of tetraploids? in theory after 7 years the diploids of the mix should be taking over and be the dominant species in the paddock.

I fully agree it a doesnt matter as it'll be a personal choice of the farmer but given that a lot of independent research is showing measurable benefits to the use of tetraploids I think theyre worth considering more in mixes.

in the monoculture trial for the last two years the top yielding variety across all the commercial farms has been abergain which backs up its placing on top of the ppi list.

realistically all we should be looking at this list and picking grasses based on our requirements be it increased spring and autumn growth for highly stocked spring herds or persistency for those who don't want to reseed too often etc

skoger wrote: »
    What did you do differently between the 2 fields? Extra N? Grazed earlier or tighter?

1st one was reseeded late September. Got too wet to graze it and the double whammy was it was too wet to graze till following April/ May. Then I needed to take silage off it. At that stage it needed 4 of 5 grazings in a row to thicken.

Lesson - reseed wet land in spring/ summer

So 15ac of rough grazing ground sprayed off. 3 days track machine needed, then disc and power harrow. Then roller and wagtail. Will be all done for July 5th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Whats yer opinion on sinclair mcgill matrix 70 70% with castlehill 30% in a reseed on light dry land?

So 15ac of rough grazing ground sprayed off. 3 days track machine needed, then disc and power harrow. Then roller and wagtail. Will be all done for July 5th.

do you need the disc? I just used 2 runs of the power harrow and it did a savage job.

do you need the disc? I just used 2 runs of the power harrow and it did a savage job.

I'd go with chain harrow only if I could but it's very uneven. Currently you couldn't go in with a mower so I've left it with the contractor to decide. I'm assuming he'll go with the disc and power harrow. That's his usual

• Advertisement

No one around here will power harrow grass land.
    why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

No one around here will power harrow grass land.
    why?

Is there much difference between power harrows and rotavators?

Saw http://www.donedeal.ie/view/9012279
    1.2M FORIGO ROTAVATOR
    And wondered would it do the job? Stones would prob make ****e of it though

ganmo wrote: »
    Is there much difference between power harrows and rotavators?

Saw http://www.donedeal.ie/view/9012279
    1.2M FORIGO ROTAVATOR
    And wondered would it do the job? Stones would prob make ****e of it though
    Never used any of those machines here so I can't answer that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

I'd go with chain harrow only if I could but it's very uneven. Currently you couldn't go in with a mower so I've left it with the contractor to decide. I'm assuming he'll go with the disc and power harrow. That's his usual

Were there rushes on it? Have a similar field that needs doing. Strong rushes on half then uneven ground from hooves and machinery. Would ploughing not be better for that type of ground? Break up the pan too or will u subsoil?

Just to add. Not only did parts need a disc, some parts required a track machine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Just to add. Not only did parts need a disc, some parts required a track machine!

Neighbour did a bit like that last week, was a forest of rushes and had to dig some out and level with digger. Looks good now though!

Grazed the reseed 2 days ago.
    really burst out of it today.
    Would like to get 2 more fields done in august. We'll see how things pan out

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

I notice the sward looks very open. Can you only get away with this sort of grass mix in dry land? I normally add one diploid with high ground cover to my mixes because allot of the land can be wet right up to middle of June.

I'd say that grass you have is very palatable and ideal for short rotations?

Oh wait, just realized you said re-seed! oops

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Oh wait, just realized you said re-seed! oops

Yep reseed. Direct drilled so should fill in very well.your right thiugh ill not be able to muck around on it with tanker or muck spreader like we used to. It'll be a bit more sensitive

Yep reseed. Direct drilled so should fill in very well.your right thiugh ill not be able to muck around on it with tanker or muck spreader like we used to. It'll be a bit more sensitive

Is it a hybrid or what are the varieties if you don't mind me asking.

This is a glencar/Delphin/Glenveagh mix for high summer growth but I taking out of rotation. I walked it earlier and it gone past grazing

http://i.imgur.com/gX7XL28.jpg

Is it a hybrid or what are the varieties if you don't mind me asking.

This is a glencar/Delphin/Glenveagh mix for high summer growth but I taking out of rotation. I walked it earlier and it gone past grazing

http://i.imgur.com/gX7XL28.jpg
    It's abergain. Know farmers with it getting 20t of grass off it
    great crop on that

great crop on that

Jesus that's brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

great crop on that

I've used a lot of Abergain over the last few years. Super grass massive output, but would be worried that it's the Holstein of grasses. It's persistancy is very low.
    Doing a reseed soon on silage/grazing ground. Going to put in astonenergy into the mix instead of abergain.

what sprays are people using post emergence?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

what sprays are people using post emergence?

Used to use Duplosan b4, but that's not allowed for grassland anymore. Depending on what weeds are there I guess, high load mircam maybe some lads think it's a tad strong for newly emerging grass tho. Clover safe ones are useless really. If you have clover eagle or one of those is what's used with something added in for chickweed can't remember the name of it, but this time of year a tight grazing or 2 would sort the chickweed for you if it's there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Hello lads,

I am doing a small bit of reseeding this year, and was planning on getting the grazing mix from the co-op.

I had a look at it, and it seems as good as anything else - but I will admit I don't know a whole pile about grass seed...

The mix is
    2kg Dunluce High Digestibility
    4kg Tyrella Spring Growth
    4kg Glenroyal Autumn Growth
    2.5kg AstonEnergy High Digestibility
    0.5kg White Clover
    13kg / acre

It will be used for grazing sheep only, no silage.

If ye had any views - am all ears. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Sami23

Milked out wrote: »
    Used to use Duplosan b4, but that's not allowed for grassland anymore. Depending on what weeds are there I guess, high load mircam maybe some lads think it's a tad strong for newly emerging grass tho. Clover safe ones are useless really. If you have clover eagle or one of those is what's used with something added in for chickweed can't remember the name of it, but this time of year a tight grazing or 2 would sort the chickweed for you if it's there

I bought Doplosan 2 weeks ago for spraying docks. Lad in coop recommended it to me.
    Why would it not be allowed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Sami23 wrote: »
    I bought Doplosan 2 weeks ago for spraying docks. Lad in coop recommended it to me.
    Why would it not be allowed ?

Someone didn't read the attached leaflet........tut tut!
    (Fourth last line on page 3)
    http://www.pcs.agriculture.gov.ie/media/pesticides/content/products/labels/02842%20-%20Duplosan%20KV%20-%202011%20to%20Mar%202014.pdf

Use master crop undersown here.
    It's a mix of mcpa and DB
    always does a good job and doesn't kill clover.
    If weeds are gone too far before I get to spray it we use mcpa and Hurler. Very cheap and does a great job

Hello lads,

I am doing a small bit of reseeding this year, and was planning on getting the grazing mix from the co-op.

I had a look at it, and it seems as good as anything else - but I will admit I don't know a whole pile about grass seed...

The mix is
    2kg Dunluce High Digestibility
    4kg Tyrella Spring Growth
    4kg Glenroyal Autumn Growth
    2.5kg AstonEnergy High Digestibility
    0.5kg White Clover
    13kg / acre

It will be used for grazing sheep only, no silage.

If ye had any views - am all ears. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Check the heading dates that they are in a narrow enough range. Google the dept of ag grass seed recommended list and you'll get all the data you need. For grazing you're recommended to go with late varieties and a high % of diploids, at least 70%. If it's wet ground push that to 80% and look at grasses that have good ground cover.

I'd leave the clover out so that you can go with a good post-emergence spray. YOu can always oversow with clover next year. Maybe not as important as you'll be grazing with sheep but I ain't an expert on grazing sheep!

Regardless of what you sow it will be a damn sight better than what's there already

Check the heading dates that they are in a narrow enough range. Google the dept of ag grass seed recommended list and you'll get all the data you need. For grazing you're recommended to go with late varieties and a high % of diploids, at least 70%. If it's wet ground push that to 80% and look at grasses that have good ground cover.

I'd leave the clover out so that you can go with a good post-emergence spray. YOu can always oversow with clover next year. Maybe not as important as you'll be grazing with sheep but I ain't an expert on grazing sheep!

Regardless of what you sow it will be a damn sight better than what's there already

Cheers JDI - just the info I wanted.

I was actually planning in going with more clover :)
    Post emergence isn't too much of an issue for me so far, maybe it's the sheep. Last autumn reseed I didn't do a post emergence spray at all.

Thanks again.

Cheers JDI - just the info I wanted.

I was actually planning in going with more clover :)
    Post emergence isn't too much of an issue for me so far, maybe it's the sheep. Last autumn reseed I didn't do a post emergence spray at all.

Thanks again.

Do you have a grazing rotation for the sheep? Mighty animals for grazing reseeds I hear, grass really thickens after them

Do you have a grazing rotation for the sheep? Mighty animals for grazing reseeds I hear, grass really thickens after them

I do - not as good as I should as they are too long in each field / paddock at the minute. But will be adding more as we go.

Good for reseeds all right, they can graze into the winter and go right tight if you let em.

• Advertisement

@JDI. Just wondering what was the thinking behind adding Aberchoice and Drumbo to your mix? Looking at the stats they are both very similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Can Hurler or Hi Load M be used as a post emergence spray where no clover in reseed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Anyone much exsperience with top5 exstend grass seeds?..looking to reseed a field in september for turning out ewes and lambs in march

@JDI. Just wondering what was the thinking behind adding Aberchoice and Drumbo to your mix? Looking at the stats they are both very similar.
    No particular reason. Just selected a 4 way mix with a certain % tetraploid. I think it's 9kg diploid and 4kg tetraploid? The 9kg is split between 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭raypallas

Anyone much exsperience with top5 exstend grass seeds?..looking to reseed a field in september for turning out ewes and lambs in march

We've used it before, have done about 25 acres with it so far. Found it quite good, we've used both the silage and grazing mixes. What mix are thinking of using?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭DK man

I reseeded 12 acres and it is flying. Topped it last week as annual weeds were starting to race ahead of the grass. I'm very happy with the job so far. I spent about 14 hrs gathering stones and have most lifted - no big ones left!!!!

I originally intended to graze 50 ewes and 30 lambs but it's far too rich and long now and I have enough grass in 3 other paddocks. It got 3 bags of 18 6 12 / acre. I will now cut it mid August - I'm a bit concerned about stones!!!! I lifted a lot of stones but I've surly missed some...

Any opinions are most welcome....

• Advertisement

DK man wrote: »
    I reseeded 12 acres and it is flying. Topped it last week as annual weeds were starting to race ahead of the grass. I'm very happy with the job so far. I spent about 14 hrs gathering stones and have most lifted - no big ones left!!!!

I originally intended to graze 50 ewes and 30 lambs but it's far too rich and long now and I have enough grass in 3 other paddocks. It got 3 bags of 18 6 12 / acre. I will now cut it mid August - I'm a bit concerned about stones!!!! I lifted a lot of stones but I've surly missed some...

Any opinions are most welcome....

Have you grazes it at all?
    I'd advise against mowing a reseed in its 1st yr.
    It would tiller out as well

Second graze on Abergain.
    14 days after 1st
    should have gone in at day ten. Grew 170 a day last week.
    cows left meal behind them last 2 milkings there that full

14 days after 1st

14 days after 1st

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Have you grazes it at all?
    I'd advise against mowing a reseed in its 1st yr.
    It would tiller out as well

Nothing wrong with mowing (topping)...
    Its the letting the reseed get to silage stage thats a big no no for tillering

• Advertisement
Advertisement