Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hibernia Course and pregnancy

Options
  • 20-06-2015 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi,

I am actually writing on behalf a friend. She want to do the online hibernia course for primary school teaching.

While there is some info online about the course, there are aspects not available - for instance their policies on certain things - so I said I would ask the good people on boards.ie.

She is wondering in what kind of cases would they insist on her deferring the course. If she found herself pregnant, would they make her defer or would she lose all the money she paid for the course. Also in terms of family illness etc, would they allow her to be flexible in the timetable of the course. I guess it is a lot of money and in her case she is coming to the course later than someone in their 20s who may not have same commitments as someone in late 30s.

She has always wanted to become a primary school teacher but life and finances have dictated that this opportunity came later in her life.

She is committed to doing the course but was wondering if people faced issues like pregnancy or family illness while doing the course and how did the college react? The course appears attractive as it allows you to cater for a normal working life with family but is this really the case?

I know your first reaction might be to say to defer the course till she has finished her family but she has one son and it took ages (years) for her to get pregnant the first time so she wants to keep trying. As it is not easy and straight forward for her to build her family she wants to continue to build her career at the same time. Has anyone found themselves pregnant while doing the course and what happened.

Sorry for the ramble and hope someone can help..

Thanks for any feedback...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Realistically I think you need to talk to Hibernia. In my experience I don't think many colleges would insist on deferral. Once an applicant has met the required standard, has been accepted and paid fees whether or not they participate is up to them really. If there are issues then the college can 'strongly suggest' a deferral. But if your friend feels up to studying while pregnant then that's her decision.
    Also in situations like illness etc each persons circumstances can be different and a lot of colleges can deal with them on a case by case basis. However if she misses several hours of tuition, assignment deadlines etc. then realistically she wont be able to continue. So its important that if she runs into problems that she talks to the college early that they can come to some solutions. I'm open to correction on this of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ver2

Thanks

Advertisement