Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did u ever recognise someone u know on boards or did someone recognise u?

• 20-06-2015 4:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43

if the average person on here, posts hundreds of posts, surely someone has recognised someone they know in real life, people give snippets of personal info about themselves, which if u add up the pieces, u might know them, or did someone recognise you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Yes a few years back. Don't think he frequents boards much anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Yeah, I had him killed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Yeah I recognise a few people from the real world on here. And I'm sure some recognise me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Yes, one girl I kinda know. Friend of a friend type thing.
    Another is a friend who is a social justice warrior gone mad on a pc brigade, but wouldn't give a tramp the steam off his piss in real life:D

Ah no just kidding.
    I'm not kidding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Yah I recognised one. I was friends with the poster boyfriend. It was strange as she used talk about him saying they were in a stable relationship and expecting a baby. He was telling me he was only with her because she was pregnant, he wasn't going to stick around etc. They are still together but I'm no longer friends with him. I feel sorry for her really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

greenfrogs wrote: »
    Yah I recognised one. I was friends with the poster boyfriend. It was strange as she used talk about him saying they were in a stable relationship and expecting a baby. He was telling me he was only with her because she was pregnant, he wasn't going to stick around etc. They are still together but I'm no longer friends with him. I feel sorry for her really.

Don't be sorry for me, I got rid of that pri*k and sold the baby for a fortune. Everything worked out just great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I use my real name on here,so yeah,probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I lik 2sav Leters 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Yup,

Twice

I'm easily found.... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

I got kicked in the face recently and I thought it was too much of a coincidence to be from Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

How much information does the average poster ever give, except where they're living and maybe age?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mocha please!

It's happened me a few times yeah, I've been both the recogniser and the recognisee. :D

I don't make any particular attempt to keep myself anonymous on here so I don't really care if someone I know recognises me. If I recognised someone I knew, I'd probably not let on to them unless I thought that they recognised me too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Someone sent me a message asking me if I was a particular person from a particular place. They were bang on. They recognised me because over 10 years ago I used the name Grayson when playing a computer game in their house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

A few people involved in Limerick FC might know who I am alright, from my posts in the thread in the Limerick forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I'm sure a few have recognised me & are just keeping the head down. My sister saw me browsing on the home PC a few years ago & I think a good friend of mine from college frequents a different forum.

I've divulged a bit of personal info over the years, wouldn't take Sherlock Holmes to put two and two together.

Ive recognised a few acquaintances from the various photo threads over the years, but haven't lived in Ireland for a good few years so the amount of people id know about the place would be limited

*Awaits PM from my sister

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Was sitting on the bus and heard 'fuck, just got banned from After Hours!'

That's when I was mobile modding. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I've never recognised anyone from Boards and I've never had anyone tell me they recognised me, but if they did, I would deny it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Why the need for secrecy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I have recognised people from another forum board (long shut down), despite the fact they use different names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

I've put in enough deliberately misleading information over my 1000 or so posts to hopefully prevent the casual sleuth from recognising me.
    A dedicated person who has a hint of who I am to begin with may have better luck.

The only people I've recognised as such are from photo threads, rather than posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I know someone from here. don't know if they know i know I know them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

I saw that lad Galvasean at the cinema once. It was at that moment I realised that I spend too much time on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Dr. Zaius Dr. Zaius!

My sister uses Boards too, she didnt know who I was until I told her my username.

Hi sis!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

There are known ..knowns
    and known…unknowns
    and unknown ..unknowns

No ..I don't know any of the unknowns !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

A few years ago boards did a love match calculator where they gave you your top ten potential matches from boards users, it was just a bit of fun. Anyway it turned out my number one match was my married next door neighbour at the time! I recognised him from an advert he had placed on adverts.ie which was linked to his profile in which I could see a picture of his back garden and mine on his listing and he had his name.:)
    I never mentioned it to him obviously and I continue to hope he's never recognised me because I quite like this anonymity lark.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

A few years ago boards did a love match calculator where they gave you your top ten potential matches from boards users, it was just a bit of fun. Anyway it turned out my number one match was my married next door neighbour at the time! I recognised him from an advert he had placed on adverts.ie which was linked to his profile in which I could see a picture of his back garden and mine on his listing and he had his name.:)
    I never mentioned it to him obviously and I continue to hope he's never recognised me because I quite like this anonymity lark.:)

That actually still exists!

http://www.boards.ie/love.php?match=hot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Sonics2k wrote: »
    That actually still exists!

http://www.boards.ie/love.php?match=hot

Ha excellent, my neighbour is no longer on my list either,ala s. ☺

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Ha excellent, my neighbour is no longer on my list either,ala s. ☺

Pity though really - kind of like a ride in the bank and not too far to travel :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Realist2 wrote: »
    did someone recognise u?

Yes and I ate their liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

No, I don't think so. I'd hate to be recognised! As far as I know I have only known 2 posters. One now closed account, and the other my sister who hasn't posted in ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Found a cousin on it.We even had an argument but they don't my true identity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Recently enough recognized a Boardsie that I was pretty friendly with on Boards walking towards me on a busy street in City Centre. I recognized them as they have posted their pic in a couple of forums over the years (I have never done though). As soon as I seen them I instantly smiled that 'Ah what's the craic' kinda smile but I wasn't sure yet just where it was that I knew them from. They smiled back as I approached but more the forced 'Why the fcuk is this chap smiling at me' smile and then it dawned on me how I knew them and that they couldn't possibly know who the hell I was and so I did the only possibly thing I could think of that was to..... immediately look at ground and walk right past them with an intense feeling of mortification running through me. No doubt I left his head somewhat wrecked at what had just occurred. Sorry dude :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TomBtheGoat

Nope and I hope I never do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Only once did somebody twig me and let me know. Thankfully I really like him. He doesn't post now though. Maybe others recognize me but nobody has ever let on.

I've recognized a few people myself but only because they're obvious, as in using similar names across various media or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I have a pretty good idea of who 3 or 4 people are over in the regional forums, just going by their posting style and comments alone. As for people recognizing me? I have absolutely no idea! I dont really hide who I am so its very possible for someone to identify me if they wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Yeah, a couple of times I've recognised people I know from what they posted. Haven't let on and no real interest in what they post so no big deal.

Think a few people have recognized me. Doesn't really bother me.

Advertisement