Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I source these barbells

• 20-06-2015 4:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭

Can any of these bars be got in Ireland.

The Vulcan One
    The Vaughn Olympic
    Rogue 2.0
    Ohio bar
    Burgener and Rippetoe
    Mat Chan.

I know Rogueeurope sell a few but no one else seems to stock them.

Can anyone recommend a comparable bar to the above bars. I want to upgrade my bar from the Olympic hex bolt type that I have now.

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

rigmaroll wrote: »
    Can any of these bars be got in Ireland.

The Vulcan One
    The Vaughn Olympic
    Rogue 2.0
    Ohio bar
    Burgener and Rippetoe
    Mat Chan.

I know Rogueeurope sell a few but no one else seems to stock them.

Can anyone recommend a comparable bar to the above bars. I want to upgrade my bar from the Olympic hex bolt type that I have now.

Thanks

Probably a Pendlay bar from D8 Fitness if it'll be used primarily for weightlifting.

Or a Texas Power Bar from Bmac strength if powerlifting is your game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭rigmaroll

Thanks Hanley, I've been on Bmacs site and the Texas bar is 500euros which is way out of my budget. The bars I mentioned above were recommended here wwe.garage-gyms.com/olympic- barbell- review-shopping- guide. The author doesn't rec pendlay which put me off.

Thanks Hanley, I've been on Bmacs site and the Texas bar is 500euros which is way out of my budget. The bars I mentioned above were recommended here wwe.garage-gyms.com/olympic- barbell- review-shopping- guide. The author doesn't rec pendlay which put me off.

Right... maybe he just didn't get given a free one to review tho?

There's lots of people using Pendlay bar who say good things.

And I'm sure if you just googled around on different sites you'd get reviews too.

...and if you googled for BAD reviews of the bars you're looking at, you'd probably get them as well.

Don't take one random website as gospel.

What's it getting used for?

Starting Strength program and learning the Oly lifts

Have a chat with Mark in D8 fitness, tell him what you want and ask what he'd recommend.

They have some own brand bars that are pretty good quality. They see day in / day out multiple time per day use in my gym and are holding up great even after a couple of years.

BUT they don't get dropped from overhead while loaded very often.

...which is why I'm saying ask Mark what he'd recomended cos he'll tell you straight up if it's not suitable.

• Advertisement

Thanks for reply, I'll give him a shout. I will be learning the Oly lifts so I'm not sure if I'll be dropping significant weight as I'll be using very light weights to start with. For this reason do you think a 100 kg et of bumper plates are necessary for a beginner to the olys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Thanks for reply, I'll give him a shout. I will be learning the Oly lifts so I'm not sure if I'll be dropping significant weight as I'll be using very light weights to start with. For this reason do you think a 100 kg et of bumper plates are necessary for a beginner to the olys.
    You are probably thinking that it will be a while before you will be cleaning 120kg - which might be true.
    But when you look at the plates combinations you'll make use of them in the 40-70kg range.
    That said, you could get away with non-bumper 5kg and micro-plates imo. (and the 5 makes the 15 a bit obsolete)

A bumper 10kg and 20kg, along with 1-5kg micros will get you to to 100kg, then you can add another 15 or 25kg bumper.

Thanks for the advice Mellor

Does anyone have any knowledge of the bodymax bars that are available from mcsport.ie. how do they compare with the bars from d8 fitness. Sorry, My app is not allowing me to post links to the bars.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the bodymax bars that are available from mcsport.ie. how do they compare with the bars from d8 fitness. Sorry, My app is not allowing me to post links to the bars.

Better quality and value from d8.

• Advertisement

@Hanley I contacted D8 and the bar for €170 and rated to 700kg is not available.

Because of this Im considering either the
    D8 bar for €150 Elite Olympic lifting bar 28mm/20kg - D8 Fitness D8 Fitness ,
    the Team Barbell which ships for €343.19 from Again Faster and the
    Ohio bar The Ohio Bar which ships for €408.27 from Rogue and the
    Bison bar from Wolverson for around €420 http://www.wolverson-fitness.co.uk/Bison-Olympic-Competition-Bearing-Bar_A1NUS1.aspx

I seen you recommended the Team barbell from Again Faster in this thread Texas power bars - boards.ie . Its got a good review here Team Bar 2.0 by AF CrossFit Barbell Review apart from the Knurl and here Review: Again Faster Team Barbell 2.0 | AMRAP . The warranty says that the max weight limit for the bar is 300kg. This seems strange consdiering the PSI is 209,000. If you have a team bar can you confirm this and what the Knurl is like?

What do you think is the best option from the above bars. There is a jump in price from the D8 bar to the other bars but are these a better option than the lower rated D8 bar which has a max weight limit of 300kg.

Also the bars below are sold by Mcsport and ProFitness. They are made from Heat Treated Alloy Steel with a Hardened Chrome Steel Sleeve.
    Bodymax Competition Olympic Crossfit/Funct. Training Bar | McSport Ireland for €343.67 and the IGC Competition Olympic Crossfit/Funct. Training Bar for €375.

They seem to be the same bar. Are these make of bars inferior to the ones above.

Thanks

@Hanley I contacted D8 and the bar for €170 and rated to 700kg is not available.

Because of this Im considering either the
    D8 bar for €150 Elite Olympic lifting bar 28mm/20kg - D8 Fitness D8 Fitness ,
    the Team Barbell which ships for €343.19 from Again Faster and the
    Ohio bar The Ohio Bar which ships for €408.27 from Rogue and the
    Bison bar from Wolverson for around €420 http://www.wolverson-fitness.co.uk/Bison-Olympic-Competition-Bearing-Bar_A1NUS1.aspx

I seen you recommended the Team barbell from Again Faster in this thread Texas power bars - boards.ie . Its got a good review here Team Bar 2.0 by AF CrossFit Barbell Review apart from the Knurl and here Review: Again Faster Team Barbell 2.0 | AMRAP . The warranty says that the max weight limit for the bar is 300kg. This seems strange consdiering the PSI is 209,000. If you have a team bar can you confirm this and what the Knurl is like?

What do you think is the best option from the above bars. There is a jump in price from the D8 bar to the other bars but are these a better option than the lower rated D8 bar which has a max weight limit of 300kg.

Also the bars below are sold by Mcsport and ProFitness. They are made from Heat Treated Alloy Steel with a Hardened Chrome Steel Sleeve.
    Bodymax Competition Olympic Crossfit/Funct. Training Bar | McSport Ireland for €343.67 and the IGC Competition Olympic Crossfit/Funct. Training Bar for €375.

They seem to be the same bar. Are these make of bars inferior to the ones above.

Thanks

Too many links and text.

Have only used one bar so can only comment on that.

The Again Faster bar has **** knurling. Avoid if you want it for olympic lifts. No centre knurling either so not great for squats.

Im strongly considering this one
    StrengthShop WL28N Evolution Bar - no centre knurling (previously bastard bar) and Ive also been offered a second hand D8 Elite bar for €100(the 300kg max).

What do people think is the best option

Thanks

Advertisement