Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't ping own IP

Options
  • 20-06-2015 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi guys

Was diagnosing some network problems and discovered I can't ping my own UPC router externally. Asked a few buddies on UPC what their IPs are and I can ping and trace route theirs so something is off with my UPC setup.

Basically, I can goto any of these Whats My IP sites and it pulls up my IP. All the Ping utilities suffer 100% packet loss.

There was a setting on the Advanced Options of my UPC router titled WAN Blocking which I unticked as I heard this can hide your IP from pings.

I have disabled my firewall, rebooted AND reset the router and still have issues.

Anyone hear of this before?

UPC technical support have been helpful but have no idea what the issue is and want me to call their Premium rate support number. Having tried that 10 times in 3 days and not been able to get through, I've given up on this as a possible channel.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Ds-lite, lots of threads about it here in the UPC forum if you search. Basically you do not have a public ip, you are behind NAT and have a local ip which is why you can't get to it and can't forward ports.

Edit, see this http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057282895/1

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭eladnova

Ds-lite, lots of threads about it here in the UPC forum if you search. Basically you do not have a public ip, you are behind NAT and have a local ip which is why you can't get to it and can't forward ports.

Edit, see this http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057282895/1

Many thanks. Have PMd the Boards guys.

Advertisement