Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-unique addresses in Ireland

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,458 ✭✭✭✭Alun

MBSnr wrote: »
    The Irish don't seem to go in for house names.
    Zoom in far enough in Google Maps in many areas, in S Dublin for example, and you'll discover that's not true.

E.g. https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2828706,-6.1124157,17z?hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Alun wrote: »
    Zoom in far enough in Google Maps in many areas, in S Dublin for example, and you'll discover that's not true.

He said it was an English thing and you used S Dublin as an example! Hardly a perfect refutation. Perhaps the people in Westminster Lawns do name their houses!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Alun wrote: »

OK. The Irish don't seem to go in for rural house names.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

MBSnr wrote: »
    OK. The Irish don't seem to go in for rural house names.

Well, my relative that named his rural house is Irish and spent most of his 90 year life within 10 miles of his home, and never lived abroad. He put the name on about 50 years ago.

My neighbour in Dubin 4 has a name on his house, in Irish, and he too is Irish.

So much for generalisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

There are no non-unique addresses in Ireland any longer. Eircodes have solved the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Well, my relative that named his rural house is Irish and spent most of his 90 year life within 10 miles of his home, and never lived abroad. He put the name on about 50 years ago.

My neighbour in Dubin 4 has a name on his house, in Irish, and he too is Irish.

So much for generalisations.

Two examples.... Seriously?

Overall most people in rural areas do not name their houses. So my generalisation is correct. I live in a rural environment. You live in Dublin. You may say this makes no odds but your insistence that people should just name their house to resolve an issue (that is now addressed) over looks the fact that a large % of rural people think house naming is a pretentious thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭justbored

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

justbored wrote: »

It is only snobbery if you call your house 'Mon Repose' or 'Dun Roamin'. If you give your house the name it is generally known as - like 'Burkes' because the Burkes live there, how is that pretension.

I would prefer numbers but how do you number houses randomly positioned in a Townland with no proper road structure and road names? At least names would be a start.

Eircode is a way of giving names or numbers (depends on how you look at them as they are a mixture of numbers and letters) to every house, but it is not much of an improvement if they too are secret. How many will put their Eircode on a plaque outside their homes? How do you know you have arrived at the house you seek? How does the postie know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭justbored

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

We are just on different wavelengths. I don't want my house to be identifiable from the outside. If I wanted to live in a neat row of numbered houses I wouldn't have moved here.
    A nice bottle if whisky for the postie at Xmas is all you need to make sure he knows ur address.
    DHL, USP, the bin men never 'loose' the house either. I put that down to their Xmas present too..... Or maybe they just know the current unnumbered, unnamed ununique address.

So basically you're saying rather than proper addresses just bribe delivery workers ?!?

I don't see an issue with names on houses but I do see a major issue with just non identified properties.

In most countries the postal service simply wouldn't know what to do with your letters and wouldn't deliver them.

At the end of the day, this is a big part of the reason why postal services and courier services for deliveries to Ireland are about twice the price of everywhere else.

A scattered population is one problem but it's made 100X worse by lack of useful addresses.

It means a courier wastes half the day trying to locate inpossible to find, unlisted places and that time is money.

An Post itself has some damage by allowing this situation. It's inevitably increased their cost base and made flexibility impossible. If a postman goes out sick in my area the post is completely messed up because we've about 250 homes without numbers on his route!

You don't need a near row of numbered houses. France for example has plenty of scattered homes but you can find them if you have an address!

If you gave a name and townland your parcel would most likely end up in the recycling eventually as they'd have no interest in conducting a detective operation to solve the cryptic puzzle many Irish people think is an address!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭threeiron

An Post need to promote the future importance of the Eircode routing key and give that priority in their mail sortation systems. That would encourage use of Eircodes and allow people to start using their geographical text addresses while still facilitating An Post's delivery systems. I expect Shannon, Co. Limerick will become a thing of the past for all mail with an Eircode.

Some years ago a letter came from American Niece addressed to Aunty X and Uncle Y (No surname), Townland, Town, County, Ireland. The card arrived safe within days of being posted. The following year, she sent a Christmas Card to our kids again only putting their first names and again it arrived at our non unique country address!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Some years ago a letter came from American Niece addressed to Aunty X and Uncle Y (No surname), Townland, Town, County, Ireland. The card arrived safe within days of being posted. The following year, she sent a Christmas Card to our kids again only putting their first names and again it arrived at our non unique country address!

That's great but if it was more than a few exceptional items the system wouldn't work.

Still doesn't negate the need for addresses.

So a bottle of whiskey costs €25 to €30. There are 2.2 million addresses in Ireland of which 35% are non-unique. So to solve the problem you suggest our posties are given 750,000 bottles of whiskey at a cost of €18.7 million per year, divided among the rural population. No wonder you are in favour of Eircode as it is only costing €27 million over 10 years, and being paid for by everyone.

Mind you no-one has pointed out how postie will find your house if it does not have a plaque with the Eircode on it, but that is a different point altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Saw a few approaches to rural addressing over the summer holidays.
    In one part of rural france, there were little fingerpost signs with individual house names on them.
    In a different part of France, there were no addressing sign posts and some houses had the house name on their letterbox/gateway ; but not all. Very like rural Ireland. You would have to know where you're going to get there.
    In Spain, there were addresses handed out on flyers with the
    name of the place
    road number, kmxxx,y

something like
    Casa Carawaystick
    C123 km23,4

Meaning it was at chainage 23.4 on the road C123

Not very precise, but you're getting a 100m linear position.

The roads in Spain and France have "mileposts" every km and in France anyway show the direction of increase.

All these proposed solutions would cost a lot more time and money than eircodes. Ireland now has a system whereby there are no non-unique addresses. Either use the system (and it can be used for navigation with Google Maps by using the mobile version of Eircode Finder) or don't. If you choose not to, then don't whinge.

So a bottle of whiskey costs €25 to €30. There are 2.2 million addresses in Ireland of which 35% are non-unique. So to solve the problem you suggest our posties are given 750,000 bottles of whiskey at a cost of €18.7 million per year, divided among the rural population. No wonder you are in favour of Eircode as it is only costing €27 million over 10 years, and being paid for by everyone.

Mind you no-one has pointed out how postie will find your house if it does not have a plaque with the Eircode on it, but that is a different point altogether.

Have you used the Eircode finder in conjuction with Google Maps? It shows the precise location of houses when eircodes are used to identify them. There's absolutely no reason for eircodes to be displayed at the front of houses since the maps bring you right to the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

All these proposed solutions would cost a lot more time and money than eircodes. Ireland now has a system whereby there are no non-unique addresses. Either use the system (and it can be used for navigation with Google Maps by using the mobile version of Eircode Finder) or don't. If you choose not to, then don't whinge.

Ok, so I want to get to a non-building such as a pitch or car park. The road number,km system works, but eircodes dont

Have you used the Eircode finder in conjuction with Google Maps? It shows the precise location of houses when eircodes are used to identify them. There's absolutely no reason for eircodes to be displayed at the front of houses since the maps bring you right to the house.

Unless of course it is an apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Bray Head

I would argue it makes sense to write your eircode on your letterbox if you live inside an apartment building. It will probably cut down on human error at postal delivery worker level. It also makes sense to write your surname too, but people in Ireland don't do this.

• Advertisement

Unless of course it is an apartment.

Apartments tend to be in buildings. Kind of hard to drive into the average apartment. As long as the eircode brings you to the apartment building, all you need to know is the apartment number within the building, which you can look up using the eircode since each apartment has its own eircode...

Ok, so I want to get to a non-building such as a pitch or car park. The road number,km system works, but eircodes dont

So? Eircodes are post codes for postal addresses, not location codes for every single possible location you could want to travel to. How much would it cost to add signs and km markers at every possible location that a person could travel to? Would we need to put them outside every single field at the side of every single road? You might not want to travel to a particular field but someone else might. Better to be safe and put the markers up outside every field entrance. Good luck getting councils to do that, good luck getting them to maintain the signs, good luck getting property owners to agree to the erection of the signs, good luck getting the money for the signs. Good bye and good luck! :P

Advertisement