Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maynooth or Leixlip?

Options
  • 20-06-2015 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Looking at buying in Maynooth or Leixlip. Issue is that Maynooth seems to have more of a buzz and great restaurants, coffee places etc. but having looked at houses feel so many of them are overpriced and disappointing e.g.badly overlooked, small bedrooms etc. We have found a lovely house in Leixlip but worried about lack of nice places to go in the village and it seems very sleepy. Commute to Dublin better though and a fan of mixed schools for the kids so another plus. Any views? Haven't lived in either before so this is perceptions only

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

meadow30 wrote: »
    Looking at buying in Maynooth or Leixlip. Issue is that Maynooth seems to have more of a buzz and great restaurants, coffee places etc. but having looked at houses feel so many of them are overpriced and disappointing e.g.badly overlooked, small bedrooms etc. We have found a lovely house in Leixlip but worried about lack of nice places to go in the village and it seems very sleepy. Commute to Dublin better though and a fan of mixed schools for the kids so another plus. Any views? Haven't lived in either before so this is perceptions only

Maynooth is a student town so be prepared for that, quite likely to be living near a house of students with the possibility of loud parties etc. they're right beside eachother though so you can very easily take a trip down to Maynooth if you wanted to go to a restaurant.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You might get good answers on the Kildare thread .
    For me Maynooth won easily over Leixlip .
    I prefer it for kids ,there are 4 primary schools ,5 supermarkets,the University and everything is within walking distance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Maynooth definitely has better facilities/amenities- including mixed schools (though if you're looking for school places in either location- demand is phenomenal. You will pay a premium for Maynooth- because it is a university town and has all the amenities/facilities on its doorstep. Public transport to the city is similar from either- perhaps an extra 5-6 minutes drive- it can be interesting trying to get in or out of either town during peak time though.

Personally- if I were thinking of either Leixlip or Maynooth- there wouldn't be any competition- it would be Maynooth all the way.

Someone mentioned students and parties in Maynooth- well you have interns in HP and Intel in Leixlip- they may be past the student stage- but they can party with the best of them- I nearly went insane when I had Intel interns next door (I live in Lucan).

For closeness to amenities and facilities- its a no-brainer-choose Maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 meadow30

I suppose it's a classic case of house vs location. Agree Maynooth seems to have all the facilities you would need but our dilemma is that the house we have found in Leixlip is better than any of the ones we have seen in Maynooth. Do people who live in Leixlip go to Maynooth for meals out, drinks etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

I suppose it's a classic case of house vs location. Agree Maynooth seems to have all the facilities you would need but our dilemma is that the house we have found in Leixlip is better than any of the ones we have seen in Maynooth. Do people who live in Leixlip go to Maynooth for meals out, drinks etc?

Of course, it's only 5 minutes up the road.

• Advertisement

If you're going for a few drinks- you have the Ryevale Tavern in Leixlip- and a few other venues- which might be preferable to getting mobbed by students in Maynooth. You also have a few nice restaurants- notably Davinci's for Italian- and Alanadale for Chinese/Thai. You have other options too- those are just the two outstanding examples that come to mind.

Personally- everything else being equal- I'd rather live in Maynooth- and pop down to Leixlip the odd time for the likes of Davincis/Alanadale- than do vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

a warning with either of them , the traffic through the main centre of the village is a complete nightmare during rush hour, make sure you buy a house on a road that lets you hit the n4 without going through the centre of the town.

a warning with either of them , the traffic through the main centre of the village is a complete nightmare during rush hour, make sure you buy a house on a road that lets you hit the n4 without going through the centre of the town.

Alternatively- be creative- and exit westbound- and doubleback. Life is too short to sit in traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Alternatively- be creative- and exit westbound- and doubleback. Life is too short to sit in traffic.

that works for people like myself up that end , but if your up the hill your screwed, kellystown lane is not a great idea at rush hour.

Advertisement