Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your biggest extravagance during the Celtic Tiger

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Packet of Tyrell crisps, most expensive packaged air ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Volovo

Flying lessons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

Ah the Celtic Tiger... breakfast roll for breakfast, hot chicken roll for lunch, 50 Euro a day in Spar, good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Was in recession-era Japan for most of the Irish boom.

Moved home in the second half of 2008.

A masterpiece of timing, me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

4 pages in, and no mention of acquiring a wife/husband/mistress/girlfriend/boyfriend/any combination of those yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

From someone who was only a young lad during the good years, the way people go on about it sounds like there was just endless trunks of money available to everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I had a public sector job so didn't have buckets of money but had no kids so did have a disposable income. I just enjoyed being young and having meals out and going to the pub and shopping for clothes. On hindsight, I should have gone on more holidays :) had I known the responsibilities that lay ahead. I helped my sister and brother out financially while they studied and I am happy I did that, it was money very well spent.

Best post of the thread. Well done for helping your siblings out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Disappointed with this, thought there might be a few boardsies who bought a private jet or arranged a private showing of Riverdance for their daughters birthday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

From someone who was only a young lad during the good years, the way people go on about it sounds like there was just endless trunks of money available to everyone.

There was endless trunks of credit that people mistook for endless trunks of money.

"I'm wealthy because the bank let me take out a 20k personal loan even though both my credit cards are maxed!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Used to peg the burnt toast in the bin and stick on more toast
    These days I i stand over the bin grumply mumbling" for forks sake " while scraping the burnt layer of toast in to the bin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

There was. Literally you'd think nothing of heading off to a European city for a weekend break. Lack of Money was Never an excuse not to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

blueser wrote: »
    4 pages in, and no mention of acquiring a wife/husband/mistress/girlfriend/boyfriend/any combination of those yet?

I picked up a wife during the tiger period. I classified that as an investment. To be honest I've lost a lot on it at this stage. When is it time to cut your losses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

A Latte and cake on pay day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Did coke off my secretary's ass in the penthouse of the Four Seasons while my wife was waiting for me to come to our anniversary dinner in Guilbaud's.

Or at least I would have had I been in a position to be extravagant. Next recession I'll say the above and it'll be a fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

3 patio heaters, that right 3!

Didn't even have a patio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Frynge wrote: »
    3 patio heaters, that right 3!

Didn't even have a patio.

You could have put them on your deck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

We were very poor in the tiger. Got fed up being offered credit. Started buying gold with what little we had. That gold just gave us 20% down on our first house. Still poor but now we rent from ourselves. Win!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

I decked the hall with boughs of holly,
    Fa, la la la laaaa , la la la la.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

I picked up a wife during the tiger period. I classified that as an investment. To be honest I've lost a lot on it at this stage. When is it time to cut your losses?

Trade her in for a younger model maybe?

Advertisement