Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning PC

Options
  • 20-06-2015 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭

Time to clean my PC.. Guessing compressed air is the best method to do it? Also, anyone have any cheap places to get cans of compressed air? Amazon are bloody expensive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

Time to clean my PC.. Guessing compressed air is the best method to do it? Also, anyone have any cheap places to get cans of compressed air? Amazon are bloody expensive.

Cheaper in the long run to get a small air compressor. I got one in Homebase for about €30 and it sits neatly in the corner.

Cans of compressed air don't last very long so cost goes up rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Welshprince

A quick and easy way to clean dust from PC is use a dry clean paint brush and hoover. Gently brush loose the dust and the hoover nozzle held nearby takes it all away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

And make sure the brush is made of natural bristle, synthetic bristles can cause electrostatic discharge - bye bye motherboard. I use a good quality shaving brush myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Take it to a petrol station with a proper compressor, not one of those tyre inflator jobs, and give it a good blast of air, free, works a treat, have done this for many years on countless P.C.'s

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Mr. Price sell compressed air for 1.49. Dealz may also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

If you're going the compressed air route, its probably worth disconnecting the fan as a precaution, so it doesn't act as a generator and maybe damage the mobo. Or hold it still.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Thanks for the help guys! Think I might actually have a small hoover lying around somewhere. If not, I'll probably get the air compressor, or try a hairdryer and cloth/brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

How often do you clean your PC out of curiosity? I strip mine down every 6 months and remove all bar the motherboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Been thinking of stripping mine down too.

Seem to be having some screen tear with my graphics card recently on games I shouldn't so hoping a re seat of that plus a dusting will sort it out.

Might even try sort out my cable management, my interior currently looks like the Borg queen with all the wires sticking everywhere.... Not in a good way

Yeah, was thinking of stripping mine down too. Lately I've noticed the temperature of my GPU increasing when playing games such as CSGO, so figured it was time to clean it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Thanks for the help guys! Think I might actually have a small hoover lying around somewhere

don't use a hoover on the motherboard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Yes dealz do air dusters for €1.49.
    Can be hard enough to get,mainly due to people buying loads and reselling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

yeah i wouldn't use a hoover either, too much static.

From what i understand, static wont fry your mobo like in the movies when something goes on fire but rather it slowly kills it over time so even though you might get away with it for a while, eventually it will kill it

On another note, if you leave your PSU plugged in but the socket switch turned off, it still earths your computer so less likely top do damage to anything because of static.

Yeah, I'll use the Hoover on the fans and the outside of the case, and for the motherboard/cpu fan I'll probably use an old toothbrush or the air compressor.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭sfbonner

Air compressors contain moisture so be careful.

sfbonner wrote: »
    Air compressors contain moisture so be careful.

Toothbrush+cloth with a hand fan seems to be going grand for me so far.

Advertisement