Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oz forum very quiet lately?

Options
  • 20-06-2015 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭

Is it a sign that less people are heading that way? I guess most young people are going to Canada recently. Doesn't seem to be as many people travelling the country for a year and just doing jobs to pay their way.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Wel the number of applications has halved almost between last year and this year.

Interest is waiting for sure, but that's a good thing. When I was home last year things were definitely on the up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Last of my australian financial affairs tied up now but boy how this forum has gone quiet.
    I remembered this thread but since then activity seems to have almost petered out. Has the herd turned completely or am I the exception and all the rest have settled into Australia for good and glory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

I keep seeing posts in the Irish buy/sell/swap page for people in Perth on Facebook about selling all as they are going home. It seems to be a common trend now.

I was just googling around and found a headline stating the lowest permanent migration figures 37 years. Just checked the area where I was living in Perth and rents are back below what we initially paid in 2011!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

I've hit my rental agency with a $50 a week reduction offer. You can now rent a 2 bed here for below $300 a week easily

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

Slideways wrote: »
    I've hit my rental agency with a $50 a week reduction offer. You can now rent a 2 bed here for below $300 a week easily
    going the opposite direction in sydney. we moved in feb, in the 5-6 years before that we have never been turned down on a rental application. got rejected on loads and had to out bid another applicant for one place. $300 a week would only get you a single bed $hit-hole in a suburb out west.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

lg123 wrote: »
    going the opposite direction in sydney. we moved in feb, in the 5-6 years before that we have never been turned down on a rental application. got rejected on loads and had to out bid another applicant for one place. $300 a week would only get you a single bed $hit-hole in a suburb out west.

Same in Melbourne. We lucked out 3 years ago on getting into a place about $50 below market value at the time, paying just under $400. Still here, and while rent has increased, we are still paying less in a 3 bedroom unit than is being charged for horrible 40 year old 2 bed apartments nearby.
    We had thought about moving but for what we are paying, we would be looking at a place half the size if we were lucky.

When we decided to leave Perth and Australia our sponsor offered us a move Sydney. So we went over to have a look but having talked with friends living there and looked at the market we passed on the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Seem to be alot of groups on Facebook aswell, could be why traffic has reduced here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sunsetter

No one uses boards anymore really. There are private FB groups where people discuss things. For example Irish Around Melbourne

• Advertisement

Sounds like people getting settled in for the long haul.

Advertisement