Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilbride Loop - carpark?

Options
  • 20-06-2015 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'd like to explore this trail, but I find difficult finding any good spot for a carpark. Any ideas where to park there?

Comments

Any joy trying each summit here?

http://mountainviews.ie/summit/92/

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

Any joy trying each summit here?

http://mountainviews.ie/summit/92/

No joy yet, but that's the plan.
    Still I've no idea where I could leave my car.
    Someone mentioned about small car park near Kippure Bridge. I can't find it on google maps.

Edit: finally I found it: 53.154190, -6.342265. This spot is extremely small.

sebphoto wrote: »
    No joy yet, but that's the plan.
    Still I've no idea where I could leave my car.
    Someone mentioned about small car park near Kippure Bridge. I can't find it on google maps.

Edit: finally I found it: 53.154190, -6.342265. This spot is extremely small.

On the notes there people mention parking at the entrance to Kippure Estate and at Kippure Adventure Centre.

On the notes there people mention parking at the entrance to Kippure Estate and at Kippure Adventure Centre.

Yeah, I've seen that, but I don't want to do that. Besides there is not much space over there. I think I'd rather get bus or dart so that I won't have to worry about my car :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

sebphoto wrote: »
    Hi all, I'd like to explore this trail, but I find difficult finding any good spot for a carpark. Any ideas where to park there?
    You can park where the start/finish pins are on that map, there's a forest entrance on the right (heading south) with plenty of room for one car

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.208878,-6.402865,3a,75y,236.76h,77.64t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjUvCk1bkgD2iAtsNpvMiPw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

... or just drive a little further south and park by the entrance to the range.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.200528,-6.407974,3a,90y,71.8h,78.44t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1skB5VTO6d4qYvfwKM8Auo_A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Parking by the entrance to Kippure Bridge is not recommended, a prime spot to be broken into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Alun wrote: »
    ... or just drive a little further south and park by the entrance to the range.

Or a little further south again, there's a few spaces for a single car near where the forest starts on the east side of the road

Linky

If like me you prefer to walk the bit on the road at the start of your hike and do the loop clockwise from there. Did that last month myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but can you park on/in the Kippure estate? And can you cross the river to the North from there?

hmmm wrote: »
    Don't mean to hijack the thread, but can you park on/in the Kippure estate? And can you cross the river to the North from there?

Hey be my guest :)
    Good question!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

hmmm wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure of the current situation, but partly as a result of the repeated break-ins of cars parked by the gates, they agreed to let cars park in the estate but said they were charging for it. We did it once, but despite looking around couldn't actually find anyone to pay so just left the cars there. Couldn't locate anyone when we got back either :) Maybe ring or email them and ask?

Regarding the river, if it's the Liffey you're talking about that's to the south of the estate, and there's a footbridge over it onto the open country there. It's not great to walk across, very 'tussocky' though. Alternatively you can cross the river and walk along the southern banks toward the Coronation Plantation.

Thanks Alun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Niall_daaS

unkel wrote: »
    Or a little further south again, there's a few spaces for a single car near where the forest starts on the east side of the road

Linky

If like me you prefer to walk the bit on the road at the start of your hike and do the loop clockwise from there. Did that last month myself.

Did the same 3 weeks ago and there was enough space for 2- 3 cars.

Advertisement