Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roaming around Paris

• 21-06-2015 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi,

I have two questions here:

1. What are good tourist spots/areas/visiting places/specialties in Paris that I can visit in during a week long vacation? I know of Versailles, Louvre, Notre Dame de Paris, catacombs.

2. Can I get a weekly metro/bus pass to cover the tourist spots (including Disneyland)? Cost?

Since this is my first ever trip to Paris, so don't have a clue about these.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

Hi, what part of Paris will you be staying in?

Was there for my first time last November for 4 days, and we spent a lot of time just walking. There's so much to just even look at in Paris.

The Musee d'Orsay is definitely worth a visit, it's approx halfway between Notre Dame and the Eiffel Tower, so those 3 could potentially be done on the same day. I'd recommend breaking up your days with two to three different things that are close together, rather than trying to get from one end to the city to the other a few times in the day.

I have no answer for the metro/bus pass question, although as you would be going in and out of zones to different things the cost might not be worth it as I'd imagine you would have to get some sort of multi-zone metro ticket. There's a 'big red bus' that you can get around the city, that you can buy a ticket for 1 or more days which might be better value to buy for a couple days worth as you can hop on and hop off at a variety of tourist stops.

There is a free walking tour that takes in all the big spots. Your hotel should be able to tell you where it starts. It is usual to tip the guide at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ash1511

mariebeth wrote: »
    Hi, what part of Paris will you be staying in?

Was there for my first time last November for 4 days, and we spent a lot of time just walking. There's so much to just even look at in Paris.

The Musee d'Orsay is definitely worth a visit, it's approx halfway between Notre Dame and the Eiffel Tower, so those 3 could potentially be done on the same day. I'd recommend breaking up your days with two to three different things that are close together, rather than trying to get from one end to the city to the other a few times in the day.

I have no answer for the metro/bus pass question, although as you would be going in and out of zones to different things the cost might not be worth it as I'd imagine you would have to get some sort of multi-zone metro ticket. There's a 'big red bus' that you can get around the city, that you can buy a ticket for 1 or more days which might be better value to buy for a couple days worth as you can hop on and hop off at a variety of tourist stops.

Will be staying in the center of Paris and will be there for 6 days. I think that will be a good amount of days to spend in Paris and roam around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Check out the Paris Visite card; it might suit you? It also gives discounted entry to certain attractions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

you can get a carnet of 10 metro tickets for about 12 euro which is probably the handiest and most flexible way to go. You can get these from any metro station or indeed from most tobacco / newsagents.
    For disneyland you just need a return including RER.
    I remember looking into day tickets before and they dont seem to exist for the tourist and everything points to the tourist visitor pass thing, but a heap of single journeys would still be cheaper, and with a carnet its as convienent.

EDIT, found a site that reckons theres a day ticket for €6 and a weekly for €18.35 (plus €5 plus you need a photo, and its only valid from monday to sunday). So still, a carnet could well work out cheaper

• Advertisement

peckerhead wrote: »
    Check out the Paris Visite card; it might suit you? It also gives discounted entry to certain attractions.

Looks like a good deal, but I wonder if it will cover the whole of Paris. I know I might have to get a separate shuttle for the airport, but I mean I hope the rest will be covered in it!

you can get a carnet of 10 metro tickets for about 12 euro which is probably the handiest and most flexible way to go. You can get these from any metro station or indeed from most tobacco / newsagents.
    For disneyland you just need a return including RER.
    I remember looking into day tickets before and they dont seem to exist for the tourist and everything points to the tourist visitor pass thing, but a heap of single journeys would still be cheaper, and with a carnet its as convienent.

EDIT, found a site that reckons theres a day ticket for €6 and a weekly for €18.35 (plus €5 plus you need a photo, and its only valid from monday to sunday). So still, a carnet could well work out cheaper

That is good option. I think even Paris Visite would be nice. I think it covers the trip to Disneyland as well

Hi,

First off, sorry for the length of this thread.

I have a plan for the places I will (hopefully) visit. The places are:
    Versailles
    Louvre,
    Notre Dame de Paris
    catacombs
    Arc De Triomphe
    Pont Des Arts
    Place De la Concorde
    Seine River
    Parisia Cemetery
    Montparnasse Tower
    Musee d'Orsay
    Disneyland
    A boat tour - have no clue about it but heard it is good.

Now, I do not know how to cover them all in 6 days. I need help in organizing my days. Also, it would be great if you can add a/couple/few places to the list.

Thanks a lot in advance!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

There's an app & website called Tripomatic which is free to use and allows you to plan itineraries, including how long you want to spend at a particular site. Allows selecting walking, driving or public transport. Shows a map so you can plan a route if walking or whatever. I have found it very useful.

There are several open top bus companies. We are opting for the Foxity one as it's cheaper, kids are free, and it cover all the things we want to see. They have an option to add a cruise.

Alternatively there is the Batobus (water bus) which operates between the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame

http://www.foxity.com
    http://www.batobus.com/en.html

Advertisement