Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Half Life 3 Will Be the best FPS ever ?

• 21-06-2015 3:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

Right so,

After the success of half life 1 and it multi million dollar payday, i remember reading that the only requirement of half life 2 was to be the best FPS ever.

My 2 sense on why half life 3 has taken so long is simple. The introduction of portal will come into play with half life 3.
    Id think it has been made maybe twice but they wanted it to be better, so i think valve have taken a step back and have developed source 2 and The vive Vr to be included with half life 3, to bring it that next step better(The story is the easy part)
    Its also going to have to have a killer multiplayer and of course a load of in game buys.

I know its been talked to death, but im guessing for the game to be released by april or may next year, short time after the Vr.

The question is , If it is ever released, Will it be the best FPS we have ever seen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

It was never released and Half Life 4 was one great middle finger to fans with all the cast constantly talking about their awesome adventures in the previous game (especially the bit where Freeman found his voice).

Apparently Half Life 5 will be a return to form although now that Valve have handed it over to Activision so that fans can be appeased with a new entry every year I'll believe it when I see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Half Life 3.... meh.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

That did it, someone go tell valve to reset the clock, we aren't gonna get it until 1 full year passes without a new half life 3 thread being created somewhere on the internet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

duke nukem forever 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Never mind Half Life 3, where is episode 3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

VinLieger wrote: »
    That did it, someone go tell valve to reset the clock, we aren't gonna get it until 1 full year passes without a new half life 3 thread being created somewhere on the internet

Yeah, because the Internet was on a full 45 seconds when I posted it.

They decided against it, instead for hl3
    There was also suppose to be hl2 ep4 as well
    Made by a second company

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Valve have effectively confirmed that Episode 3 has been canned and that any future game will be HL3.

Sure I remember a time when we were meant to have an Episode 4 & 5 to be developed by a different company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I think it's gonna be released for free out of nowhere as part of the valve VR stuff and will be a publicity coup destroying the other VR competition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Ah, HL3 would be a great game, I'd say, but it's been so long now that it's hard to see anything Valve would do as being up to the hype, although, I think people would have been more than happy if they'd just continued in the vein of HL2. I know I would have, anyway.

But it's strange because the HL story is incomplete. In the entertainment world it usually goes that, if a story is a successful money spinner, as HL undoubtedly was, it gets continued, and usually beyond the point where they're flogging a dead horse. It is, undoubtedly, Valve's flagship game. It would be like if Nintendo had just suddenly dropped the Mario series after SMB 2. It's not like they've come out with anything that has topped that, since, either. Portal and LFD - both very good, but not the same epic kind of experience.

It may just be that Valve are in a stage of transition with prepping for this Steam Machine thing. Their console could be a game changer, and if it's successful, we may see a glut Valve games, including the much vaunted, the much awaited HL3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Played Half life, and all the expansions that came out for it and standalones.
    Played HL2 and the episodes.

Never actually finished them......I have that horrible tendancy to play games for a few hours, then move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Doom can go back to basics and be great but can't imagine what a 2015+ half life would be like.

Advertisement