Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day/night control MCB buzzing

Options
  • 21-06-2015 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

The Day/night control MCB in my fusebox starts buzzing quite loudly when it kicks in at night. I know it's coming from this as when I turn it off the buzzing stops. If I replace this will the buzzing stop or do these things always buzz? Or will a new one be quieter?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Kagawa wrote: »
    The Day/night control MCB in my fusebox starts buzzing quite loudly when it kicks in at night. I know it's coming from this as when I turn it off the buzzing stops. If I replace this will the buzzing stop or do these things always buzz? Or will a new one be quieter?

I think you mean the contactor is buzzing. Contractors frequently buzz and normally it is nothing. If the MCB is buzzing it is far more likely to be an issue because MCBs should be silent. However My advice would be to get an electrician to investigate. In this thread the OP noticed a buzzing from his distribution board and ignoring it resulted in a house fire.

Only an electrician is suitably qualified to do this work and legally the electrician should be a registered electrical contractor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

It will likely be a contactor thats buzzing, not likely the MCB.

Switching off the control mcb which stops the contactor closing, is probably why the buzzing stops. If its buzzing loudly, some dust on the metal pole faces is probably the cause.

Can you hear the click as the contactor closes when you turn on the control MCB?

Is there storage heating?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Thanks for the answers everybody, I'll give the letting agent a ring and ask for it to be checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

dust in the contacts of the contactor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

solargain wrote: »
    dust in the contacts of the contactor

Not in the electrical contacts themselves, but the pole faces. Or rust on them. Or insect fell asleep between them. Or the shading ring got broken although that one would seem unlikely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement