Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile phone issue - dont offer replacements?

Options
  • 21-06-2015 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi ,

I am just wondering could anyone help me with this. I've had a mobile phone on Bill pay for the last 10 months with no issue. However in the last 2 weeks , two things have gone wrong with my phone making it nearly impossible to use. I know I havnt done anything to cause the issues myself, they literally just happened suddenly.

My network is Emobile so I went on to their website. I am 99% sure I am still under warranty as I've only had it 10 months but just have to find my receipt ect. to confirm.

I am just wondering does anyone know am I entitled to a replacement if I want. I know consumer legislation says refund, repair or replacement but the emobile website just talks about repair. Are vendors allowed to pick which of the 3 they offer or must they offer me the choice if the faulty goods are not faulty through my doing.

Also I am wondering if I send my phone for repair , am I entitled to get a reasonable replacement phone for that period? I need my phone for work so I definitely need something for the week or 2 my phone would be away for repair. I was thinking of buying a cheap smartphone but then thought it seemed unfair I should have to spend 60 or so Euro when my phone being faulty is not my fault.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

After 10 months, the retailer is more than likely going to select repair, it is really upto the retailer to decide which action to take

I have had a few phones break over the last few years due to overheating and the retailers have had the phones repaired within a few days

If it is a Samsung phone, you would be better off bringing the phone to a Samsung Experience store in Swords or Dundrum as they seem to have a very fast turnaround and will handle warranty repairs even if you didn't buy the phone there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Firstly it's always handy to have a cheap backup phone.

Secondly, the offer has to be reasonable. An electronic product usually can be easily repaired, so repair is reasonable. It may simply be a software issue.

Think of a bigger product - say a car. If it breaks down after a few months, you don't expect a new car in exchange except in exceptional circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

qwerty1991 wrote: »
    I need my phone for work
    Just to point out that if you bought the phone for your business or profession then you are not a consumer and all that consumer protection doesn't apply.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1980/en/act/pub/0016/sec0002.html

Advertisement