Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dirty Bomb

• 21-06-2015 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭

Anyone playing this game? I got it this week and I am absolutely loving it. I haven't had as much fun playing an FPS since BF2. I think I would enjoy it more playing with some regular people however as it is an extremely objective focused game and it can be frustrating to lose because too many on your team want to sit back and snipe while the objective goes unfulfilled.

It's free to play however it follows a MOBA pricing model in that unlocking characters costs money but they rotate 3 free characters about a week. It's still in Beta but I have more fun with this beta than many "polished" and complete games.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yeah its very good alright, played the closed beta for a while too.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

I tried it out there its soo much fun, i see myself playing it quite abit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

If anyone wants to play together for some teamwork add me on steam, same name as here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Havent played the released version but the beta was good.

Played a few more hours of this over the weekend and really enjoying it.
    I hit the sweet spot with time to kill and gun play, feels and plays excellently.

• Advertisement

Isn't this by the same team that made Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory - Splash Design, or something? I've heard it follows the same class structure as W:ET? The thought of microtransactions being introduced makes me sad. Do they offer any perks to aid gameplay or does it follow more the customization that TF2 has?

Also W:ET is worth the download - it's free to play, with no money involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I didn't think I'd like this but I've been playing it over the past few days and it's great fun with a few friends. If you want more of challenge then after level 5 you can join competitive matches and get humiliated by much better players.

I haven't hit the pay to win wall after 8 hours so that's not too bad for a free game and it's only a 4GB download.

I love objective gameplay and evolving maps as the objectives progress, this game does it very well.
    Add to this the really good gunplay and the nice time to kill [not too short and not too long],really good game, gaining a lot of new players and hundreds of full servers.

Isn't this by the same team that made Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory - Splash Design, or something? I've heard it follows the same class structure as W:ET? The thought of microtransactions being introduced makes me sad. Do they offer any perks to aid gameplay or does it follow more the customization that TF2 has?

Also W:ET is worth the download - it's free to play, with no money involved.

Yeah Splash Damage.

It's less microtransactions than you think. Its more like a MOBA style funding.

You install the game for free and after doing the training you get two character classes for free and 50,000 in game credits. There are also 3 free classes on rotation weekly I think. You can unlock a class for 50,000 in game credits or with cash.

The controversy is really the loot crates. for 1,000 in game credits you can get a crate which is a random loadout card. Rather than individually selecting the weapons and perks of your character the game does it by predetermined loadout cards, this maintains somewhat of a balance as generally the statistically better weapons do not get the best perks combined on the one loadout. If you have a class unlocked you get a basic loadout with default weapons and no perks. there are higher rated loadout cards with up to three perks. Lead has 1 perk, Iron has 2, Bronze has 3 perks. The perks are not really game winners, increased reload speed, increased heal range, increased blast radius. There are no perks that increase damage at all.

The biggest moaning comes with the higher loadout ranks, Silver, Gold and Cobalt. These are the exact same as the Bronze level loadouts apart from cosmetic changes. A Cobalt has no gameplay advantage over a Bronze, it is merely for nerdy collectors and pure "bling".

The monetisation of the game comes from the fact people are spending money on "elite cases", the normal cases you buy with 1,000 in game credits have miniscule percentages to drop a cobalt or gold card hoever if you spend real money to buy an elite case you are guaranteed to get either Silver, Gold or Cobalt. If you want you can spend I think 3 euro to buy a specific bronze loadout card so you have the exact loadout you want. You can pay in game credits up trade up multiple lower ranked cards into a higher ranked card. 4 Bronze to make a Silver etc.

To be honest I find the game model pretty damn fair. When you join a game you pick 3 character classes you want to use and everytime you spawn you chooses between these three options. If you do not pay a penny for the game you get the 2 default characters and whatever the 3 weekly rotation classes as well. The biggest thing though is do not spend your in game credits on buying cases, you are constantly getting free cases in the game due to your rank. As you earn exp by playing the game they reward you with free cases, you also earn credits by playing as well. I think the people moaning are the people that are obsessed with getting the Silver, Gold and Cobalt cards so they spend every 1,000 credits they earn to unlock a case and then have no credits to spend unlocking classes.

I got the game two weeks ago and spent 20 euro on the start pack, this gave me 5 extra classes and 2 elite cases, I don't really care about the bling cards, once I have a decent bronze with the loadout I like I have stuck with that card for that class. I save up my credits and unlock extra classes. I do not buy cases, I trade up the loadouts I get from the free cases from exp until I get the one I want.

You do earn very little credits from playing a single game I would admit, 200-300 seems about the average however it is the missions that earn credits. You get 500 credits each for your first win, first game of objective mode and first game of stopwatch mode a day. That is easily 1,500 credits you can earn per day in about an hour of play. There are also 3 quest type missions you get randomly every 3 hours. Play 4 games of objective, play 4 games with a specific class in your selection, earn X support points etc. these give you between 500 to 1,000 credits for completing. Combined with the daily bonus playing for 2 hours a day would easily get you 2-3k credits.

I am absolutely loving this game, it still has its massive flaws. My main gripe is no server limits to character classes. The current rotation has Nader, a class that has the special ability of a grenade launcher, as it is free you easily have teams with 3 or more Naders and the grenade Spam is annoying. Once the game is fully released I hope there are sever limits for character classes. I have already had more fun playing this game that I volunteers to spend 20 euro to get the starter pack than I had when I paid full preorder for BF4 and a season pass.

I will invite again anyone playing this game add me on Steam as I love playing the objective with players really looking for teamwork.

You should look into getting Enemy Territory, but sadly it's gotten to the point where people have been playing for so long, that you would expect to die. A lot.

Tried running it on my laptop and it sadly doesn't run :(

• Advertisement

You should look into getting Enemy Territory, but sadly it's gotten to the point where people have been playing for so long, that you would expect to die. A lot.

Tried running it on my laptop and it sadly doesn't run :(

I never played the Wolfenstein one but did play the Quake Wars version, my friend actually worked for Splash Damage for years so I have tried most of their games out of curiosity to my friend. I pretty much went from playing Counter Strike to Battlefield 2. Wolfenstein ET I missed as I was invested in CS and then Quake Wars ET I was still invested in BF2. I played a bit of Quake Wars ET and did enjoy it but not enough to break away from BF as I was in a proper clan and playing in a league etc so I never gave it a proper chance.

I played a good bit of Brink and enjoyed it however the flaws really got to me. It had such potential but ended up being more frustrating to the point that for months my mate who worked on both was telling me to try Dirty Bomb I did not really listen to him because I was so disappointed with Brink but when I finally got around to trying Dirty Bomb only recently I such low expectations after Brink but I have been blown away and am loving it.

sorry to hear it doesn't run, GPU the problem?

Maguined wrote: »
    I never played the Wolfenstein one but did play the Quake Wars version, my friend actually worked for Splash Damage for years so I have tried most of their games out of curiosity to my friend. I pretty much went from playing Counter Strike to Battlefield 2. Wolfenstein ET I missed as I was invested in CS and then Quake Wars ET I was still invested in BF2. I played a bit of Quake Wars ET and did enjoy it but not enough to break away from BF as I was in a proper clan and playing in a league etc so I never gave it a proper chance.

I played a good bit of Brink and enjoyed it however the flaws really got to me. It had such potential but ended up being more frustrating to the point that for months my mate who worked on both was telling me to try Dirty Bomb I did not really listen to him because I was so disappointed with Brink but when I finally got around to trying Dirty Bomb only recently I such low expectations after Brink but I have been blown away and am loving it.

sorry to hear it doesn't run, GPU the problem?

I had played Return to Castle Wolfenstein for a good few years and was so so much fun. Then moved on the W:ET.

And not really, just a really crappy laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

Anyone still playing this on and off? Maguined and myself are playing with comms and its helps.

Advertisement