Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

License expired

• 21-06-2015 11:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My second Lerner Permit expired February of last year, I was on the old system where it wasn't mandatory to do the IBT(I did a similar course in Leinster Driving school just before it came in).

Would I be better off starting from scratch now, doing the theory test again, along with the official IBT and riding an unrestricted bike, or getting another permit and applying for a test on the old system?

Many thanks,
    Fr.D.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Hi all,

My second Lerner Permit expired February of last year, I was on the old system where it wasn't mandatory to do the IBT(I did a similar course in Leinster Driving school just before it came in).

Would I be better off starting from scratch now, doing the theory test again, along with the official IBT and riding an unrestricted bike, or getting another permit and applying for a test on the old system?

Many thanks,
    Fr.D.

If you can get unrestricted I'd start over, I'd even nearly start over for the 48hp licence. The old restricted limit was too low and crippled bikes to meet it, unlike the A2 where the bikes are designed for it. You're stuck with the N tabard regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Del2005 wrote: »
    If you can get unrestricted I'd start over, I'd even nearly start over for the 48hp licence. The old restricted limit was too low and crippled bikes to meet it, unlike the A2 where the bikes are designed for it. You're stuck with the N tabard regardless.

Thanks.

I assume I will definitely have to apply for the theory again since my license has expired by 1 1/2 years? Or can I just apply for a Lerner permit for the A and do the IBT? I'm over 24!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

There are work-arounds to keep you on the road for now if that's all you want for now but assuming you want to be proactive about moving up, what you have to know is as follow;

As you stand, you can get the A2 learner category no questions asked but you won't automatically graduate to full power bikes 2 years after passing your test- you'll be on medium power bikes forever unless you complete IBT and go for A.

If you're prepared to go and complete IBT and want to go full power in time, what you need to do is:

1) apply for the A practical test

they will accept your application but you won't be able to get a test date as you are not currently able to apply for the test because you don't have IBT completed- you will be on 'IBT hold' and effectively this gives you the learner category to go complete IBT done only. You won't have to apply for a test in A2 in the meantime- the held A application will cover you for your application to renew your learner permit

2) tick at least the A and A2 on the renewal form,

You have to get at least A and A2 (A2 is effectively the replacement for the old A-restricted category). You will need A2 to ride your current bike and you'll need the A learner category to move up to bigger bikes). As far as I'm concerned if you only get A on this permit and you've never completed IBT, you have no valid learner category to ride any bike. I'm open to correction on this. Best get A and A2 and it's optional to fire on A1 (and AM if you don't have it on your full) but these categories aren't necessary if you have the bigger categories.

3) complete IBT- now you have validated the A learner category and have the ability to ride any full power bike AND apply for the practical test date HOWEVER YOU IDEALLY NEED TO;

4) complete your practical test within two years of your IBT date or you'll have to complete the conversion modules to validate the full A category

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Just applying for the A license online, I can only apply for an A, can't pick A & A2 together...any ideas?

My previous learner permits were A class, last one expired Feb 14.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Just applying for the A license online, I can only apply for an A, can't pick A & A2 together...any ideas?

My previous learner permits were A class, last one expired Feb 14.

You can only apply for 1 test category in a group at a time- go for the A.

The A test application covers you for the smaller categories. For example if your A1 learner permit category is also on 993- the A test covers A1 learner category bikes as they're less powerful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement