Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Well thats an awful shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Game of Heathers career. Great to watch. Shame she just couldn't hold it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Thank god for that. Serena very poor today some woeful raw shots and serves but she came good when she needed to do.
    I wonder whats up with her. is he under pressure or injured or what is going on

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭brassringclub

Think that simple put away that she dinged into the tramlines on her last service game just sapped all of her energy. Super match, best on the womens side so far, but cliche as it sounds, experience won out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Thank god for that. Serena very poor today some woeful raw shots and serves but she came good when she needed to do.

You try playing in such a hostile environment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Sorry for Heather.
    Just couldn't close it out.

Serena is a total champion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Real pity, that. It was there for Watson, if she really had the belief that she could win it. Not sure she did though. Several points to go both 4-0 and 4-2. Have to say; Serena's a bit too "drama queen" for me, with her screams and histrionics. Can't deny though; she's an awesome player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

flazio wrote: »
    You try playing in such a hostile environment.

she looked sluggish though..yes the crowd would have an impact but this is serena..100% champion and i don't think the crowd would/should have that much of an impact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Bowlardo wrote: »

Apt typo ...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

bing3 wrote: »
    Much as I cant stand Serenas antics she right to moan about the crowd. They're apalling.

Not really. It's quite right and natural that they'd cheer for the underdog, especially given she's British.

Hard not to feel so sorry for Heather, but even as she went 3-0 up, then served for it at 5-4, I never really believed she was going to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Not really. It's quite right and natural that they'd cheer for the underdog, especially given she's British.

Hard not to feel so sorry for Heather, but even as she went 3-0 up, then served for it at 5-4, I never really believed she was going to win.
    I think it was all the shouting and oohing and "out" calls during the point that Serena was complaining about.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Cilic and Isner should have just agreed to play 5 tiebreakers and be done with it......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,317 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

It's hard to watch Serena.

It's like watching an adult versus children. She should be someone that I admire, someone like Federer who you almost revere.

But i just can't. It's such a mismatch physically that it's silly. She knows she's so far ahead that she gives up certain points because she knows she can just destroy the next return.

Make no mistake, Heather Watson was brilliant today. But at no point did I think she'd win. Honestly, not once.

It's probably my fault that I don't appreciate Serena, but it's all a bit farcical. The only way to win is to hope she misses enough. If she plays 70% of her best, she beats anyone.

SlickRic wrote: »
    It's hard to watch Serena.

It's like watching an adult versus children. She should be someone that I admire, someone like Federer who you almost revere.

But i just can't. It's such a mismatch physically that it's silly. She knows she's so far ahead that she gives up certain points because she knows she can just destroy the next return.

Make no mistake, Heather Watson was brilliant today. But at no point did I think she'd win. Honestly, not once.

It's probably my fault that I don't appreciate Serena, but it's all a bit farcical. The only way to win is to hope she misses enough. If she plays 70% of her best, she beats anyone.

So you can't "admire" and "revere" her because... she's too good? :confused:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I don't understand people complaining about the British crowd supporting a British player. Apart from them kind of booing Serena when she complained and a few over excited line calls they were a million times better behaved than any of the other Slam crowds are. They manage to create a great atmosphere for the player they're supporting without being disrespectful to the opponent.

It's only in recent years there's been any real atmosphere at Wimbledon, even when there was good tennis it was like a morgue at times. I for one welcome this new excitement from the fans.

So you can't "admire" and "revere" her because... she's too good? :confused:

She's too physically superior to everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Considering Heather was demolished in straights by Aga in her last 3R appearance, this is a huge step forward!! Best match of her career so far - just a step too far this time. Bodes well for Watson's future. Gutted for her though.

She could play in the mans draw - but wait I could be racist somehow saying that ...

This one betweem Cilic and Isner could be another marathon 5th set .... 70/68 again maybe ?? :P

the_monkey wrote: »
    She could play in the mans draw - but wait I could be racist somehow saying that ...

Good god, it's 2003 again... my time machine works!

• Advertisement

I don't understand people complaining about the British crowd supporting a British player. Apart from them kind of booing Serena when she complained and a few over excited line calls they were a million times better behaved than any of the other Slam crowds are. They manage to create a great atmosphere for the player they're supporting without being disrespectful to the opponent.

It's only in recent years there's been any real atmosphere at Wimbledon, even when there was good tennis it was like a morgue at times. I for one welcome this new excitement from the fans.

Agreed, they completely enhanced the viewing experience for me.

Don't understand how that's a valid reason for choosing not to like a player.

Agreed, they completely enhanced the viewing experience for me.

It´s her attitude ... the way she mopes about ... the insincerity ... she's a horrible person really.

And then the Jehovah bollix when she wins .... puke.

But anyway, congrats to her on winning today, she's mentally very strong, I really hope someone else can finish the job that Watson couldn't ..

9-9 between Cilic + Isner ... time to cancel dinner plans.

:D

10-10 in the 5th .... play suspended.

Great last service game from Isner ... came back from 0-30 to win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

What a battle between Cilic and Isner. Hopefully it's not déjà vu for John!

I hope Venus beats Serena. Would be great to see her go far at Wimbledon again.

Do I not have the right to dislike who I want for whatever reason I want.

Her physical attributes are her biggest asset by far. I don't enjoy it. I don't like it. You can choose to like it just like I can choose not to. It's perfectly valid thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Game of Heathers career. Great to watch. Shame she just couldn't hold it.

I really wanted her to win but no way did she deserve it after bottling it so bad. 3 nil up in the final set, as well as losing her serve from 40 love up at 3-1, and then not being able to serve out the match.

Do I not have the right to dislike who I want for whatever reason I want.

Her physical attributes are her biggest asset by far. I don't enjoy it. I don't like it. You can choose to like it just like I can choose not to. It's perfectly valid thank you.

You're right. She should slim down and make herself more beatable. My bad.

Heaven help us all :rolleyes:

walshb wrote: »
    I really wanted her to win but no way did she deserve it after bottling it so bad. 3 nil up in the final set, as well as losing her serve from 40 love up at 3-1, and then not being able to serve out the match.

Agreed, she had so many chances. I really like Heather as a person, her game not so much, but yeah I'd have loved for her to win and feel really bad for her.

• Advertisement

You're right. She should slim down and make herself more beatable. My bad.

Heaven help us all :rolleyes:

FFS.

Are you misunderstanding me on purpose?

I didn't say she should change anything. I just don't like watching her matches. I can't take to her. That's all.

Advertisement