Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2015

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Did someone mention Andy Roddick was joining the BBC team for Wimbledon 2016 ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

the_monkey wrote: »
    Did someone mention Andy Roddick was joining the BBC team for Wimbledon 2016 ?

He's only doing the last few days, starts Wednesday, I think.

He's only doing the last few days, starts Wednesday, I think.

ah this year !!

great !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Really looking forward to tomorrow - all mens and womens quarter finals! Some very interesting matches.

Sorry got ahead of myself there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I just want to see more of Wawrinka's backhand. It is something special.

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2015-07-03/wawrinka_through_in_straight_sets.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/24/magazine/the-death-of-the-one-handed-backhand.html?_r=0

I never mastered the topspin one-handed backhand and was forced to switch to two hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,105 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Ardillaun wrote: »
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/24/magazine/the-death-of-the-one-handed-backhand.html?_r=0

I never mastered the topspin one-handed backhand and was forced to switch to two hands.

That's a very good article .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Great match between Kerber and Muguruza. The Spaniard's power prevailed in the end. I don't recall when I last saw so many winning drop shots from one player (Kerber). A marvellous display of touch.

Really looking forward to tomorrow - all mens and womens quarter finals! Some very interesting matches.

4th round ;)

yay extra round of tennis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

I think Wozniacki has a decent chance I'd reaching the SFs. Mugs will be a great test....hope it's a good one. I wonder if Jankovic will be still drained from her 3rd round match. Radwanska has been in good form so she might sneak the win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Ardillaun wrote: »
    I just want to see more of Wawrinka's backhand. It is something special.

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2015-07-03/wawrinka_through_in_straight_sets.html

As MisterAnarchy says that NY Times article is excellent. It touches on so many things - the death of S&V, the impact of technology, the dominance of power.
    As far as I'm concerned they should ban the two-handed backhand. I'm actually serious. That should just be a cheat shot for club hacks like myself. A professional should be able to hit a one-hander.

• Advertisement

Mousewar wrote: »
    As MisterAnarchy says that NY Times article is excellent. It touches on so many things - the death of S&V, the impact of technology, the dominance of power.
    As far as I'm concernedthey should ban the two-handed backhand. I'm actually serious. That should just be a cheat shot for club hacks like myself. A professional should be able to hit a one-hander.

Ridiculous .. should they ban the two handed forehand too ?

If that were to happen you'd need to enforce a rule where only one hand was in contact with the racket at all times, too many nit picking scenarios

Ridiculous .. should they ban the two handed forehand too ?
    They should arrest anyone who uses a two-handed forehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,726 ✭✭✭Floppybits

As far as I'm concerned they should ban the two-handed backhand. I'm actually serious. That should just be a cheat shot for club hacks like myself. A professional should be able to hit a one-hander.

Would that mean the players should play with one hand tied behind their back? why ban the 2 handed backhand? It is not giving anyone an unfair advantage.

For me the worse thing to happen in tennis is the slowing down of the courts. I think each of the Grand slams should be played on different surfaces or at least different surfaces where the speeds are different. It is too easy now for the players because the court speed is slower on all surfaces. Maybe the Australian or the US Opens could have different speeds of hardcourt just to change things up.

Those Aussie fans are some muppets...

Ok, maybe I wasn't actually being 100% serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Kyrgios is a disgrace. Some attitude to the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

fullstop wrote: »
    Kyrgios is a disgrace. Some attitude to the tournament.

He's a jumped up his own ass prick. Making a right show of himself here.

Yeah, it's pretty special alright. What an insult to the people paying for tickets.

He's an unbearable little shyte. He'll have some excuse after, no doubt. Can't wait to see his defenders response to this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Just hoping gasquet doesn't continue living up to his title of the biggest choker in tennis!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Kyrgios antics haven't really bothered me so far and I've even found him entertaining at times but today's efforts cannot be defended. Complete lack of respect for the game and his supporters.

Aussie commentators saying he "lost focus" due to the warning! No, his attitude just stinks.

He's a jumped up his own ass prick. Making a right show of himself here.
    Yeah, it's pretty special alright. What an insult to the people paying for tickets.
    He's an unbearable little shyte. He'll have some excuse after, no doubt. Can't wait to see his defenders response to this one.
    Pighead wrote: »
    Kyrgios antics haven't really bothered me so far and I've even found him entertaining at times but today's efforts cannot be defended. Complete lack of respect for the game and his supporters.

All true, but he is interesting to watch in fairness !!

All true, but he is interesting to watch in fairness !!

When he's actually playing tennis he is but all his other carry on reeks of attention seeking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Oh Richard, you chokasaurus.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Oh Richard, you chokasaurus.....

Its not a Slam until we get it. You'd expect Nick to run through him now.

Gasquet will be getting flashbacks to last year now. 9 MP's I believe it was that NK saved against him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

All gone downhill for Troicki now.

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    All gone downhill for Troicki now.

Feel bad for him ... must be tough to lose a 2-0 lead

• Advertisement

Feel bad for him ... must be tough to lose a 2-0 lead

Why did Kyrgios just stop him when he was about to serve there? He's just acting the ass to put him off it looks like

Advertisement