Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

They've changed Wimbledon 2day lol

Slowly changed it over the past week. BBC must have seen/heard all the backlash.:P

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/jul/04/bbc-wimbledon-2day-clare-balding-gatsby-club

Djkovic will most likely take it in the 5th tomorrow. Pity that. Would have given Murray a better chance of the title. I have to say that Murray seems like a really nice guy these days - I think that he was misinterpreted as the "dour scot". He's just a lot more comfortable in the public eye these days.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

RosyLily wrote: »
    Slowly changed it over the past week. BBC must have seen/heard all the backlash.:P

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/jul/04/bbc-wimbledon-2day-clare-balding-gatsby-club

I'm just worried they'll revert back to Inverdale as host. Keep Balding but the old format was fine.
    glasso wrote: »
    Djkovic will most likely take it in the 5th tomorrow. Pity that. Would have given Murray a better chance of the title. I have to say that Murray seems like a really nice guy these days - I think that he was misinterpreted as the "dour scot". He's just a lot more comfortable in the public eye these days.

Personally I found myself warming towards Murray when he cried after losing the Wimbledon final. I think a lot of Brits changed their attitude too. He was under so much pressure and scrutiny every year, especially when Wimbledon rolled around, and a lot of the press and the public were quite hard on him. I think seeing how much it meant to him when he lost made people realise that he's not just a public figure that pops up for two weeks every summer and disappoints us. They really took to him at the Olympics which was only a few weeks later and the relationship has been getting better since then.

I was reading a thing about him the other night that said he's turned down millions in endorsement offers over the past few years because he doesn't feel comfortable selling things that he doesn't actually use or believe in. He's invested in a few startups and wants to have some sort of agency type thing to work with young sports stars and he'll take a sort of mentoring role in it. I assume that's one for the future after he's stopped playing, but generally he came across as a really smart and principled guy. You won't see him getting strip searched for chocolates or playing online poker in the bath anytime soon.

Personally I found myself warming towards Murray when he cried after losing the Wimbledon final. I think a lot of Brits changed their attitude too. He was under so much pressure and scrutiny every year, especially when Wimbledon rolled around, and a lot of the press and the public were quite hard on him. I think seeing how much it meant to him when he lost made people realise that he's not just a public figure that pops up for two weeks every summer and disappoints us. They really took to him at the Olympics which was only a few weeks later and the relationship has been getting better since then.

I was reading a thing about him the other night that said he's turned down millions in endorsement offers over the past few years because he doesn't feel comfortable selling things that he doesn't actually use or believe in. He's invested in a few startups and wants to have some sort of agency type thing to work with young sports stars and he'll take a sort of mentoring role in it. I assume that's one for the future after he's stopped playing, but generally he came across as a really smart and principled guy. You won't see him getting strip searched for chocolates or playing online poker in the bath anytime soon.

yes that (showing emotion when he lost the final) was it for me also, and most I guess. who is the strip search for chocs and bath poker a ref to?

yes that (showing emotion when he lost the final) was it for me also, and most I guess. who is the strip search for chocs and bath poker a ref to?

Federer has an endorsement deal with Lindt chocolates, there was a ridiculous TV ad where he was carrying loads of them through the airport and the female customs officers were confiscating them all. One suggested a strip search.

Nadal has an endorsement deal with an online poker site, there was an ad where he was in the bath playing poker on his iPad.

Not getting at either of those players, by the way, they were just the two that sprung to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

normal service has resumed, thank goodness :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

I'm also a former Murray hater who's warmed to him. I mean, he loves dogs, he can't be that bad :P still team Novak though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Murray still needs to tidy up on his PR i think, he still comes across as a bit dour (yes i know he's scottish)

and why can't someone send him in the direction of a descent barber his hair is a mess and some of his outfits on court are dire, black socks and black runners during the french open yuk!

fryup wrote: »
    some of his outfits on court are dire, black socks and black runners during the french open yuk!

Better than white shoes with black socks...or vice versa. If Adidas or Nike were giving me buckets of money to wear their stuff, I'd wear whatever. Murray probably gets a say in his attire.

Better than white shoes with black socks...or vice versa. If Adidas or Nike were giving me buckets of money to wear their stuff, I'd wear whatever. Murray probably gets a say in his attire.

worst attire must go to Stan's shorts at the French open - puke!

• Advertisement

Gregory Dimitrov has ended his partnership with Roger Rasheed. No surprise really. I think that ran its course. Roger did a great job with him. His fitness has improved so much. Now Grigor needs someone to push him those extra few steps.

If Roger needs a new protege, I hear Eugenie Bouchard might be looking!!:D

worst attire must go to Stan's shorts at the French open - puke!

But but but...it gave him magical powers to win!!!!:p

fryup wrote: »
    Murray still needs to tidy up on his PR i think, he still comes across as a bit dour (yes i know he's scottish)

and why can't someone send him in the direction of a descent barber his hair is a mess and some of his outfits on court are dire, black socks and black runners during the french open yuk!

A tennis player could play in an aluminous pink t shirt with dreadlocks and yellow shoes if he is playing good tennis I couldn't care about his outfit. I have always been a big Murray fan and even though I know there is an element of fashion with some tennis players clothes, I really think its pointless. Tennis is a sporting event not a fashion show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

A tennis player could play in an aluminous pink t shirt with dreadlocks and yellow shoes if he is playing good tennis I couldn't care about his outfit. I have always been a big Murray fan and even though I know there is an element of fashion with some tennis players clothes, I really think its pointless. Tennis is a sporting event not a fashion show.

I agree for the most part, but I do have a bit of fun in the early rounds laughing at the stuff some players walk onto court in. There was a woman last week, can't remember for the life of me who knocked her out in the end, but she had a really long braid and she was wearing shorts that looked like a nappy from some angles.. :pac:

I agree for the most part, but I do have a bit of fun in the early rounds laughing at the stuff some players walk onto court in. There was a woman last week, can't remember for the life of me who knocked her out in the end, but she had a really long braid and she was wearing shorts that looked like a nappy from some angles.. :pac:

I do find the wimbledon all white and no colour allowed fairly boring alright but besides that I dont really care.

Murray used to have an amazing gift for looking like his clothes didn't match even though Adidas were obviously giving him matching outfits to wear. He looks a bit better since the switch to Under Armour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

If you're referring to the boos, it's because they spotted the referee and knew the match would be stopped. I'd boo too if I wouldn't get to see the end of a match I had a ticket for!!

Now off you go and watch your film.

I was talking about the ridiculous cheering for Anderson - I mean support the underdog and all but come on !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Wicklow Brave

I like Murray but I can't stand it when he starts effing and blinding when he is being outplayed and his opponent is clearly superior rather than when he himself is playing badly and making silly errors (then it is fair enough). Djokovic aswell is always at it, just shaking his head as if his opponent has no right to hit winners against him. You never see Nadal or Federer do it, they'll be annoyed with their own mistakes but if they are getting outclassed they just move on to the next point and don't act like spoilt kids.

Australian Olympic swimming legend Dawn Fraser has just been on Australian TV saying that Kyrgios and Tomic should "go back to the countries their fathers are from" if they don't want to behave like upstanding Australians.

Reaction to that will be interesting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

If you're referring to the boos, it's because they spotted the referee and knew the match would be stopped. I'd boo too if I wouldn't get to see the end of a match I had a ticket for!!

Now off you go and watch your film.

:pac::pac:

Anyway, stunned to see Djokovic lost the first two sets to Anderson. Would be incredible if he managed to pull off the upset, but I imagine Djokovic will come out all guns blazing tomorrow. There's simply no way he'll allow himself to bow out of Wimbledon this early. Wouldn't mind if he did though, would possiby pave the way for another Wawrinka slam final.

Just watched some of Kyrgios' press conference after his match. It's... awkward
    https://www.youtube.com/embed/YcPEh9mZRuc

Bit of controversey brewing over some comments made about him by Dawn Fraser
    http://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis/olympic-legend-dawn-fraser-launches-racist-attack-on-nick-kyrgios/story-fnu2pjj2-1227431907759

His response is as restrained as you may imagine
    https://www.facebook.com/nkyrgios/photos/a.718621881489380.1073741830.443073005710937/1009224519095780/?type=1&permPage=1

Edit: TME beat me to the Dawn Fraser story

• Advertisement

I find it funny that he's gone with calling her racist when he's been actively encouraging people to basically use blackface to show their support for him all week. Her comments were stupid and he has a right to be annoyed but I think technically they're xenophobic, not racist. I know NK has quite dark skin but his father is Greek and she was talking about Tomic too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

There isn't a hint of racism in there. So stupid how the racism card gets pulled out at every available opportunity these days

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

Just adding my 2 cents here, I was on number 1 court yesterday and in relation to the Djokovic/ Anderson match we were booing the groundsman coming on to call off the match! Definitely everyone was going crazy for Anderson but there was a lot of noise being made for Djokovic too! Maybe it didn't come across as that way on TV but the cheering after Djokovic won the 4th was deafening. It was an incredible match, the atmosphere was electric, gutted we didn't get to see its conclusion!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

WaterLily. wrote: »
    Just adding my 2 cents here, I was on number 1 court yesterday and in relation to the Djokovic/ Anderson match we were booing the groundsman coming on to call off the match! Definitely everyone was going crazy for Anderson but there was a lot of noise being made for Djokovic too! Maybe it didn't come across as that way on TV but the cheering after Djokovic won the 4th was deafening. It was an incredible match, the atmosphere was electric, gutted we didn't get to see its conclusion!

Sounds brilliant- I think any one with a bit of cop on yesterday would have realised they were booing the groundsman, just like they had done for Monfils/Simon and Cilic/Isner.

It's a shame you didn't get the conclusion though. Nice bonus for court 1 holders today!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

Oh it was fantastic, we camped and it was well worth it, I personally didn't have high expectations of that match and thought Djokovic would win comfortable in 3! The three matches we saw were of a very high standard, Wawrinkas backhand... If you think it looks incredible on a screen you will be blown away in real life!! It was just phenomenal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭bren2001

Anyone know what time the conclusion to the Anderson Novak match is supposed to start?

Just to chip in re the boo's. It was clearly at the referee, its ludicrous to suggest otherwise in this case.

bren2001 wrote: »
    Anyone know what time the conclusion to the Anderson Novak match is supposed to start?

Just to chip in re the boo's. It was clearly at the referee, its ludicrous to suggest otherwise in this case.

1300 BST ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

WaterLily. wrote: »
    Oh it was fantastic, we camped and it was well worth it, I personally didn't have high expectations of that match and thought Djokovic would win comfortable in 3! The three matches we saw were of a very high standard, Wawrinkas backhand... If you think it looks incredible on a screen you will be blown away in real life!! It was just phenomenal!

Great to hear. I hope to camp next year, have tickets for court 1 on Saturday (sucks) that I won through tennis Ireland but always great to hear good stories like that.

As for Stan's backhand- both times I've seen him play it seems like everything else slows down. Interesting to see who will take him down and how this week.

bren2001 wrote: »

Who is suggesting this ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭bren2001

the_monkey wrote: »
    Who is suggesting this ?

Nobody, didn't see your comment clarifying your post. Apologies.

Advertisement