Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2015

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

lostcat wrote: »
    but, how is his backhand down the line?

Improved a lot .... I use a double handed one now, took me years to tune it the way I want - still my forehand is my favourite.

Thanks for asking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

Just a question for folks that have been / are at Wimbledon. i have 2 Court 1 tickets for the men's quarter finals but it seems that Djokovic will most likely play on Center Court and Federer will play on Court 1. This is not what i was hoping for so i'm just wondering if it's easy enough to swap the 2 tickets for centre court ones?? Has anyone ever done this before?? I'm hoping there'll be 2 die hard federer fans with center court tickets tomorrow. Any tips on how to get a swap??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

the_monkey wrote: »
    Crowd wont cheer for Anderson if he faces Murray !!!

If I read a similar post by a different poster on a different website I'd call them an arsehole.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Bonavox wrote: »
    If I read a similar post by a different poster on a different website I'd call them an arsehole.

Well you're not on another website so please respect the rules here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Hell of a semi final line up if the favorites get through.

Nole-Stan and Federer-Murray.

Would like to see a Stan-Murray final with either man winning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭bren2001

walshb wrote: »
    Hell of a semi final line up if the favorites get through.

Nole-Stan and Federer-Murray.

Would like to see a Stan-Murray final with either man winning.

So in essence the top 4 seeds can meet in the SF's, as the draw works out every year..... I want a Novak - Murray/Fed final with Novak losing.

The new ATP site is pretty cool. I can't say I ever came across this part of it on the old site. Quality stats!

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/stats/1st-serve-points-won/all/all/all/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

bada_bing wrote: »
    Just a question for folks that have been / are at Wimbledon. i have 2 Court 1 tickets for the men's quarter finals but it seems that Djokovic will most likely play on Center Court and Federer will play on Court 1. This is not what i was hoping for so i'm just wondering if it's easy enough to swap the 2 tickets for centre court ones?? Has anyone ever done this before?? I'm hoping there'll be 2 die hard federer fans with center court tickets tomorrow. Any tips on how to get a swap??

Your best chance is to queue once your in there for the hand me down centre court tickets. However there are no guarantees and you would miss the quarter finals on court 1 that you paid for. I doubt anybody would swap court 1 for centre but you would never know. Ask around when you are in there but its highly unlikely. Your best bet is to stay on Court 1 for your quarter finals and then when they are over go and queue for centre tickets in the hope that there is some match thats on late. A lot of folks go home from Wimbledon at 5pm so the centre tickets usually flow from that time on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

Im sorry but John Inverdale(spelling) is an atrocious commentator. The stuff he comes out with, jaysus. Id rather TV silence then his inane ramblings.

While Azarenkas' screaming is annoying me a bit, I would like to see her win here. Still. its nothing like the decibels Sharapova was hitting in the last match.

CFlat wrote: »
    Im sorry but John Inverdale(spelling) is an atrocious commentator. The stuff he comes out with, jaysus. Id rather TV silence then his inane ramblings.

While Azarenkas' screaming is annoying me a bit, I would like to see her win here. Still. its nothing like the decibels Sharapova was hitting in the last match.

According to some the howling and screeching of the women is no different than the men and the noise they make.....

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    According to some the howling and screeching of the women is no different than the men and the noise they make.....

I didnt think John Inverdale was that loud and annoying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Think Inverdale's a pretty solid commentator. Not the best the Beeb have put perfectly listenable.

Azarenka really took control of the rallies in that 1st set. Played some fantastic tennis and looking back to her best. Never beaten Serena on grass, I wonder if Vika has the mental strength to get the win. She's probably the toughest opponent left in Serena's draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Get off the stage Serena FFS!!!!

smurfs5 wrote: »
    Think Inverdale's a pretty solid commentator. Not the best the Beeb have put perfectly listenable.

On reflection 'attrocious' might have been an unfair word to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

bada_bing wrote: »

Can't switch AFAIK. You might be lucky and come across two Federer fans with Court 1 but odds are slim. I've never switched so can't say for sure. Good luck though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

On reflection 'attrocious' might have been an unfair word to use.
    He does come out with an awful lot of meaningless platitudes though.

"Shot of the match so far". "Is that the rally of the championship so far?" were in fairly quick succession.

Never thought Azarenka was going to finally win that game :eek:

Really hope she can carry this through.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    He does come out with an awful lot of meaningless platitudes though.

"Shot of the match so far". "Is that the rally of the championship so far?" were in fairly quick succession.

Never thought Azarenka was going to finally win that game :eek:

Really hope she can carry this through.

He's useless. He still struggles with the difference between game, set and match. He has about 5 go to phrases that he could get away with when he was doing the highlights show but on commentary he's being exposed for the gormless fool he is.

For pure drama and excitement, the Serena-Watson match was the best of the tournament but in terms of the level and quality of the tennis, this edges it for me. Some brilliant exchanges and sensational shotmaking. It does feel a bit like the final.

Does anyone else find the umpires, especially on hawkeye challenges, utterly incomprehensible?

Maybe it's just me, but they all sound like they're eating the microphones, and not very tidily at that.

For pure drama and excitement, the Serena-Watson match was the best of the tournament but in terms of the level and quality of the tennis, this edges it for me. Some brilliant exchanges and sensational shotmaking. It does feel a bit like the final.

Agreed. The Watson match was entertaining but they were both a bit tense and the quality wasn't great. Vika has been playing the best tennis of anyone this tournament. If Serena doesn't go out here she's not going out.

• Advertisement

Hindrance from Serena there, surely?

He's useless. He still struggles with the difference between game, set and match. He has about 5 go to phrases that he could get away with when he was doing the highlights show but on commentary he's being exposed for the gormless fool he is.

Never heard him struggle to distinguish them. "gormless fool", really? You might think he's sexist after his Bartoli comments and a bit gaffe-prone. Many would agree. However, he's an exceptional broadcaster who is no worse than.most tennis commentators. Having watched him present ITV's French Open coverage, he clearly does have a decent knowledge of tennis and asks interesting questions. As much as I like Clare Balding, her level of questioning and knowledge of tennis is very shallow. Preferred Inverdale on the highlights show if I'm honest.

Never heard him struggle to distinguish them. "gormless fool", really? You might think he's sexist after his Bartoli and a bit gaffe-prone. Many would agree. However, he's an exceptional broadcaster who is no worse than.most tennis commentators. Having watched him present ITV's French Open coverage, he clearly does have a decent knowledge of tennis and asks interesting questions. As much as I like Clare Balding, her level of questioning and knowledge of tennis is very shallow. Preferred Inverdale on the highlights show if I'm honest.
    Quoting system seems to have got a bit garbled there, not sure how it happened but I'd just like to clarify that I never called Inverdale a gormless fool :eek:

Quoting system seems to have got a bit garbled there, not sure how it happened but I'd just like to clarify that I never called Inverdale a gormless fool :eek:

Oh I know you didn't. Apologies for making it look otherwise. Don't know what happened with the quote there. Wouldn't want to put words in your mouth :-)

I called him a gormless fool and I stand by it. The only person worse than him working for the BBC when it comes to tennis is Andrew Castle.

Can't help feeling that Serena will just keep ratcheting it up.

Azarenka's first service game will be the teller - can't quote stats but her serve was looking flakier every game last set.

My money is on a break in her first service game - and game over.

Hmmm, can't see Serena getting broken any time soon......

Exciting stuff....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Dislike Serena, but she is so bloody clutch. Its hard to see she loses from here really, think that was probably her biggest threat today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

MikeSD wrote: »
    The Monkey is just a negative, intolerable gobshyte.

Use the ignore feature, you'll find the threads fly by, especially if no one quotes their posts.

Advertisement