Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

walshb wrote: »
    So, the draw wasn't rigged then?

I've already made my opinion on that clear in previous posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Memnoch wrote: »
    By the way, I hope you enjoyed the chair umpire calling time violations on Pospisil on crucial points in set two and three. Perfect timing to break his concentration. What a joke.

I missed that. What happened, exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Has anyone ever seen any tennis player use the Robinsons drinks on the umpires chair?

I missed that. What happened, exactly?

Set two and three. In the middle of the set, like 4-4 0:30 (might have been 15:30 in set 2) on pospisil's serve, after a long rally. Crowd noisy. Pospisil takes a little long to serve and gets called on a time violation. Gets broken both times. The only breaks of serve in those sets.

Umpire interfering at crucial times in both sets. Wouldn't have dared to do that to Murray.

Set two and three. In the middle of the set, like 4-4 0:30 (might have been 15:30 in set 2) on pospisil's serve, after a long rally. Crowd noisy. Pospisil takes a little long to serve and gets called on a time violation. Gets broken both times. The only breaks of serve in those sets.

Umpire interfering at crucial times in both sets. Wouldn't have dared to do that to Murray.

I see. Umpire enforces rules and gets slated for it, and no doubt Johnny Mac didn't back the umpire?

Did Murray warrant a violation for taking too long before serving, or are you just making a claim that even if he did the umpire would not call him on it?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Kalman

Floppybits wrote: »
    Has anyone ever seen any tennis player use the Robinsons drinks on the umpires chair?

Yes!

Kalman wrote: »
    Yes!

I was hoping for a little bit more!:mad:

I see. Umpire enforces rules and gets slated for it, and no doubt Johnny Mac didn't back the umpire?

Did Murray warrant a violation for taking too long before serving, or are you just making a claim that even if he did the umpire would not call him on it?

Murray did on a couple of times, wasn't called.

Usually on these big points umpires allow a bit of leeway. I'd understand if it was someone like Nadal who always takes ages, but you can understand on big points.

Murray did on a couple of times, wasn't called.

Usually on these big points umpires allow a bit of leeway. I'd understand if it was someone like Nadal who always takes ages, but you can understand on big points.

Ok, I'd like to see that. It's 20 seconds, and pretty much any umpire will allow a few secs past that. How far past was Murray, and how far past was his foe?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

In the first set when the umpire called it Pospisil was taking an average of 33 seconds between points in that specific game. It was unfortunate, there were lots of long rallies but he was way over the limit. Nothing to do with Murray.

They also showed another statistic that Murray's average time between points was 23 seconds and Pospisil 26. 3 seconds over in my opinion is no big deal, 6 seconds however is pushing it slightly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Ah piss off Wankrinka

Ah piss off Wankrinka

WaterLily. wrote: »
    In the first set when the umpire called it Pospisil was taking an average of 33 seconds between points in that specific game. It was unfortunate, there were lots of long rallies but he was way over the limit. Nothing to do with Murray.

They also showed another statistic that Murray's average time between points was 23 seconds and Pospisil 26. 3 seconds over in my opinion is no big deal, 6 seconds however is pushing it slightly.

So the umpire was bang on to warn the guy. Leeway is given. I get that, but the umpire makes the call when he/she feels that the leeway is being abused. That is what happened here, and had Murray abused the leeway then it' very possible that he too gets warned.

the_monkey wrote: »
    Ah piss off Wankrinka

What happened?

I was hoping for a little bit more!:mad:

I lived very close to Wimbledon in the early 1960's and it was often that I went to see the championships .

In those far off days, the balls were white, seats were not provided for the players, nor umbrellas. A pal of mine was a ball boy from the local school and that's all he ever drank.

All that was provided was Robinson's Barley Water. In between breaks the players would have a drink from the umpire's box . Many times in the hot summers, I watched Roger Taylor with sweat pouring from him in a five setter . I also saw Virginia Wade.

Kalman wrote: »
    I lived very close to Wimbledon in the early 1960's and it was often that I went to see the championships .

In then far off days, the balls were white, seats not were not provided for the players, nor umbrellas. A pal of mine was a ball boy from the local school and that's all he ever drank.

All that was provided was Robinson's Barley Water. In between breaks the players would have a drink from the umpire's box . Many times in the hot summers, I watched Roger Taylor with sweat pouring from him in a five setter . I also saw Virginia Wade.

Super stuff. I also recall coke cans being available and seeing players take them. Am I right?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

I love Stan but Gasquet is falling apart here :(

So the umpire was bang on to warn the guy. Leeway is given. I get that, but the umpire makes the call when he/she feels that the leeway is being abused. That is what happened here, and had Murray abused the leeway then it' very possible that he too gets warned.

It wasn't in that game that Murray was over. But I wasn't exactly sitting there with a stop watch. I'm not arguing it endlessly though. IMO very poor form from the umpire but not surprising at Wimbeldon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Where's my tennis match gone? I want Stan!

Super stuff. I also recall coke cans being available and seeing players take them. Am I right?

You could well be right, although I don't recall seeing any. The only names I remember were Slazenger...they made rackets and Robinson's the beverage:)

• Advertisement

What happened?

:D
    hes ahead .... I see him as a big threat to Djokovic ... as well as Cilic, Murray and Federer of course :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Roddick is so good!!! Hope he sticks around for the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Pospisil runs around his backhand too much for my liking. Still, he kept the Canadian flag flying longer than Raonic or Bouchard. That time reminder from the umpire was uncalled for, I thought.

RosyLily wrote: »
    Roddick is so good!!! Hope he sticks around for the final.

He's great allright, but probably he'll be on US TV with Johnny Mac for the final ...

What did Djokovic say to the ball girl in the match v Anderson ? Andy Castle talking about it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

the_monkey wrote:
    What did Djokovic say to the ball girl in the match v Anderson ? Andy Castle talking about it ...

He shouted "towel". Lots of videos on Youtube!

Allez Gasquet...

Come on Stan! Match back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Is there a better sight in tennis than a single handed backhand to single handed backhand rally?

• Advertisement

John Inverdale is hurting my ears!
    Great break back by Stan!

Advertisement