Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2015

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Is Bartoli pregnant ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so Rudolph is out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭Floppybits

walshb wrote: »
    Super stuff. I also recall coke cans being available and seeing players take them. Am I right?

Yep they were in a fridge at the back of the chair . :-) I remember seeing players take them but it is very rare that it has happened in the last 29 years that a player has used the drinks on the umpires chair.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Exactly. Random shouts during a point or as the other person is about to serve or return would be seen as a hindrance and the umpire would call it. A player who makes the same noise every time they hit the ball in every match they play is not breaking the rules. If the other player isn't bothered by it the umpire isn't obliged to do anything.

interesting this, I remember Federer when he was playing djokovic in one of the American finals this year (indian wells or Miami, whichever one they played the final in), djokovic was having a nervy time holding serve, and Federer was occasionally making squeaking noise with his feet just as Djokovic was tossing the ball. The commentator picked up on it and said he thought Federer was pretending to move left/right to make Djokovic double guess his serve location mid toss...

it would be pretty hard to prove in any case...and of course Federer would never resort to anything like that.....

Federer hasn't been tested this tournament and I give a clear edge to Murray on Friday because of this. I hope Federer wins as it will make for a more pleasing final whoever wins the other semi.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

^There was an incident a few years back with Ivanovic and someone, in Australia, I think. Ivanovic's shoes were really squeaky too and Hantchukova, I think it was, was getting really worked up about it. I remember Maria Kirilenko actually banging her racket on the ground as Sharapova was about to serve to her a few years ago too. It was actually hilarious because it was so blatant.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

^There was an incident a few years back with Ivanovic and someone, in Australia, I think. Ivanovic's shoes were really squeaky too and Hantchukova, I think it was, was getting really worked up about it. I remember Maria Kirilenko actually banging her racket on the ground as Sharapova was about to serve to her a few years ago too. It was actually hilarious because it was so blatant.

At Indian Wells 2012, yeah that was hilarious. And then she tried arguing with the umpire about it. Good times :)

So disappointed Wawrinka lost. The Gasquet-Djokovic match will be an utter irrelevance come Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

At Indian Wells 2012, yeah that was hilarious. And then she tried arguing with the umpire about it. Good times :)

So disappointed Wawrinka lost. The Gasquet-Djokovic match will be an utter irrelevance come Friday.

I too was really hoping for a Wawrinka win. I think Nole will win without too much bother tomorrow. He leads 12-1 H2H, and Gasquest's only win was 8 years ago!

I now want Gasquet to win the tournament. It would be great to see a complete "nobody" do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

I too was really hoping for a Wawrinka win. I think Nole will win without too much bother tomorrow. He leads 12-1 H2H, and Gasquest's only win was 8 years ago!

I now want Gasquet to win the tournament. It would be great to see a complete "nobody" do it.

When you watch gasquet playing the way you did yesterday you realise he's effectively squandered a career. I remember reading somewhere a while back talking about the difference between the likes of djokovic and others, which basically directly pointed out gasquet as a guy who had all the talent but wasn't prepared to work as hard as it takes to reach the very top. The positive test for cocaine certainly doesn't detract from that point of view.

In saying that, I love his game and him and federer would be great final if gasquet could make it competitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Didn't Rosol do the same to Nadal the year he beat him and Wimbledon. I remember Nadal complaining to the umpire about Rosol moving about when he was receiving serve and banging his racket on the ground. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Federer and Stan were 16-2 before Roland Garros. Don't assume anything.

I however will be putting money on Novak to win 3-0.

• Advertisement

There was a good question on BBC radio 5 live the other day ... name the 5 Mens champions since 1980, who since have never been world number 1 ....

Try not to Google it ...

I got it ... but thats cos I'm a nerd with Wimbledon trivia :)

When you watch gasquet playing the way you did yesterday you realise he's effectively squandered a career. I remember reading somewhere a while back talking about the difference between the likes of djokovic and others, which basically directly pointed out gasquet as a guy who had all the talent but wasn't prepared to work as hard as it takes to reach the very top. The positive test for cocaine certainly doesn't detract from that point of view.

In saying that, I love his game and him and federer would be great final if gasquet could make it competitive.

I'm pretty sure Gasquet was coming up through the juniors around the same time as Nadal and they were talked about in the same way. They were supposed to be the future of tennis at the time and everyone was very excited about what they would achieve. We can see how that went.

the_monkey wrote: »
    There was a good question on BBC radio 5 live the other day ... name the 5 Mens champions since 1980, who since have never been world number 1 ....

Try not to Google it ...

I got it ... but thats cos I'm a nerd with Wimbledon trivia :)

I will go with Kraijcheck, Goran, Murray, Cash, Stich? No Google there. Not all that difficult a question IMO.

In order: Cash, Stich, Kraijcech (not sure of spelling), Goran, Murray.

BTW, I know Connors was world number 1 in the 70s, but post 1982 when he won SW19 did he ever reach number 1? I don't think he did.

That's what I took from the question. Not that they were never world number 1, just not world number 1 after their SW19 wins post 1980.

The 5 I named I am almost certain never reached number 1 at any stage of their careers.

I will go with Kraijcheck, Goran, Murray, Cash, Stich? No Google there. Not all that difficult a question IMO.

In order: Cash, Stich, Kraijcech (not sure of spelling), Goran, Murray.
    :) spot on

:) spot on

I suppose why I found it easy is that there have not been many champs since 1980. You can name them if you followed the sport. SW19 a lot more followed than the other slams. From there it's a little obvious who was Never number 1. Fed and Sampras have 14 titles. Becker has 3 and Mac has three. Not many other winners when you exclude them.

I just checked ref Connors: He was ranked number 1 post SW19 1982 win.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

I'm pretty sure Gasquet was coming up through the juniors around the same time as Nadal and they were talked about in the same way. They were supposed to be the future of tennis at the time and everyone was very excited about what they would achieve. We can see how that went.

Interesting in terms of squandered careers and that, Djokovic said in an interview last year that he seriously considered quitting tennis in 2010. His GS win in 2008 had allowed him to clear all his families debts which were racked up to get him to that point, and he had a few quid in the bank. He felt he was playing as well as he could and he still couldn't get past Nadal and Federer to No 1 or to win more slams...
    He thought of going to college or something.

its interesting the rock solid hold Federer and Nadal had on things for a generation, and it must have made the likes of Gasquet wonder if it was really worth pushing himself to the limit because he was never going to beat these two guys anyway....stan, del potro etc felt the same im sure for a few years...

its kindof amazing that if Djokovic had gone off and done Medieval Serbian Literature 101 or whatever we would probably now be looking at Federer on 18 slam titles and Nadal on probably 18 as well....

Nole really began to physically peak in 2010 onwards. His success started to sky rocket then. Pre 2009 or so he was not as strong as Nadal and Federer. I believe that all three at peak would see results. Nole getting the better of Nadal, Federer getting the better of Nole and Nadal getting the better of Federer.

Wow , never knew Nole wanted to quit in 2010 .. I remember he was gutted after losing the 2010 USO final v Nadal (Nadals best year) and he played so well.

He then went on to win the Davis cup with Serbia , started the gluten free diet and well 2011 is history ...

Enjoying Mugaruza (sp) here ... I think she has best chance of the lot v Serena ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Wow , never knew Nole wanted to quit in 2010 .. I remember he was gutted after losing the 2010 USO final v Nadal (Nadals best year) and he played so well.

He then went on to win the Davis cup with Serbia , started the gluten free diet and well 2011 is history ...

Haha, the gluten free diet, never gets old that one...

Haha, the gluten free diet, never gets old that one...

I believe it made a huge difference, my Mam is celiac and I got her his book - it's fantastic ..

http://www.amazon.com/Serve-Win-Gluten-Free-Physical-Excellence/dp/0345548981

51OVTLXoJ%2BL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Muguruza was cruising there for a set and a half. Aga's managed to claw her way back in though.

Muguruza was cruising there for a set and a half. Aga's managed to claw her way back in though.

Yep looks like decider is inevitable ... F*ck if it's Serena-Radwanska it will be 6-1 6-0 Serena ...

I'm torn between who I want to win. I don't want Nole to win. I started with Murray because I like Murray, but wouldn't it be fantastic for Fed to get number 8 when so many had him written off as a GS winner? Then there is Gasquest. A new winner that nobody could have backed. Greta for the game and great for him.

Ok, leaning with Gasquet because the other 3 have all tasted the ultimate prize.

Muguruza gets there in the end. She's been so good all week. Terrible challenge from Aga at the end there. She'll be fuming about that for a while.

Muguruza gets there in the end. She's been so good all week. Terrible challenge from Aga at the end there. She'll be fuming about that for a while.

It was her box that shouted at her to challenge ... she'll be furious with those I'd imagine.

Just saw Martina Navratilova in an interview there - what the hell did she do to herself ?

treble botox injection to the head or what ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

BBC live player busted for anyone else?

mzungu wrote: »

Nope ... humming along nicely for now ... touches wood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

mzungu wrote: »

Yeah, there's a horrible screeching noise coming out of it. :P

Advertisement