Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2015

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Should be a procession for Serena. Maybe Kvitova can take her on but realistically it should be straightforward.

For the men I can't see past a Djokovic Murray final. Although there could be a dangerous big serving floater in there to mess that up. Hard to see Wawrinka in contention on grass and despite his history Federer is one year older so the final might be past him.

That's what people said last year. And the year before.

Admittedly it's harder to see her messing up this year though.

Impressive from Bencic, beats both Radwanska and Pironkova on grass within the space of a few days.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Hewitt v Nieminen is going to go all night. Still 2 women's matches due on this court.

Hewitt v Nieminen is going to go all night. Still 2 women's matches due on this court.

Or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Or not.

Great match tho, fair play to both of them. Got back from work early planning to get a few things done. Start watching this and couldn't turn it off it. Hewitt will be missed, his group of fans made a great atmosphere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Great crowd for Hewitt's last match. Sad to see him retire; enjoyed watching him play. Really gutsy player and always fought to the bitter end. The young Aussies can learn a lot from him!

Probably a step too far but I'd love to see Hewitt win the Davis Cup. Would be a fantastic swan song for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭StillIntact

That's what people said last year. And the year before.

Admittedly it's harder to see her messing up this year though.

If she remains injury and illness free.

While I have great respect for what Hewitt achieved over the years, he probably should have retired by now.

Nice start for Venus, 60 60! Her first double bagel since Istanbul 2005, and her first at a slam since US Open 2002. Also, her first double bagel on grass since her very first match on grass, way back at the Eastbourne qualies 1997!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Dimitrov and Raonic also on Novak's side. Talk about a loaded top half. I would absolutely laugh if Nadal beats Murray in the quarters. After they did everything they could to make it as easy as possible for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Why has the name and format of Today at Wimbledon been changed? Wimbledon 2day sounds so juvenile, and the live audience makes it so tacky. And why has Claire Balding replaced John Inverdale? For a tournament steeped in traditions, this change is a bit out of character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭bing3

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Why has the name and format of Today at Wimbledon been changed? Wimbledon 2day sounds so juvenile, and the live audience makes it so tacky. And why has Claire Balding replaced John Inverdale? For a tournament steeped in traditions, this change is a bit out of character.

Pretty cringey alright. Audience completely unnecessary and Mcenroe obviously bugs the **** out of Balding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

bing3 wrote: »
    Pretty cringey alright. Audience completely unnecessary and Mcenroe obviously bugs the **** out of Balding.

I hope they revert back to original format and presenter next year. This is very unwatchable. Too many tweets, and non relevant stuff. Very little actual tennis shown, and Balding doesn't have great knowledge of the sport.

Oh that doesn't sound good! I really liked Today at Wimbledon. Thought there was good banter between Inverdale, Davenport and McEnroe and they actually seemed to like each other. The outdoor setting was really nice as well. Very English garden imo.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Hopefully it won't be returning next year. As much as I like Clare, tennis isn't her forte.

Didn't watch it, but yeah, 'Wimbledon 2day' sounds pretty embarrassing. Although getting rid of Inverdale can only be viewed as a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Memnoch wrote: »
    Dimitrov and Raonic also on Novak's side. Talk about a loaded top half. I would absolutely laugh if Nadal beats Murray in the quarters. After they did everything they could to make it as easy as possible for him.

Novak will play only one of Raonic, Dimitrov or Wawrinka at the semi final at earliest. The talk of a conspiracy to screw Novak is absurd, Niemenen next a journeyman. Then an out of form Tomic 3rd round and possibly Anderson in the last 16 who has never worried the top players.

Then Cilic who has done nothing all year or possibly Kei Nishikori in the quarters who came into this with an injury and not a long time ago was not expected to play here, he looked pretty poor today. You reckon the Wimbledon guys who modified the draw to screw Novak didn't know Kei wasn't well?

Semi final who knows he will get? The Wawrinka quarter is stacked.

He was 1/3 to reach the semi finals before today and now 1/4, the bookies aren't always right, but this time I think they are. He may screw up, but it will be a monumental surprise if he does not reach the semis at least and will play someone who could be knackered coming out of the toughest quarter.

Its not exactly the conspiracy that you are suggesting, and if it was, it hasn't been thought out to well.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Djokovic was poor yesterday. Kohlscreiber bottled it at 4-4 in each set and he was actually playing quite well.

Djokovic was making a load of mistakes. Could be put down to a lack of match practise. But if he was to play like that against even an out of form cilic then he could be in trouble.

Having said that i fully expect him to sort his game out during the first week and then make it to the final

John Inverdale was a terrible presenter. They had so many complaints about him, he's been doing the show for years and yet still doesn't know the difference between a game, a set and a match. They were right to get rid of him.

That said the new format doesn't work for me. Maybe it'll improve given a few more days but it seems like they could have freshened it up a little bit without going to the extreme they have. Wimbledon crowd don't seem to be much craic either so the whole audience part seems unnecessary.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Novak will play only one of Raonic, Dimitrov or Wawrinka at the semi final at earliest. The talk of a conspiracy to screw Novak is absurd, Niemenen next a journeyman. Then an out of form Tomic 3rd round and possibly Anderson in the last 16 who has never worried the top players.

Then Cilic who has done nothing all year or possibly Kei Nishikori in the quarters who came into this with an injury and not a long time ago was not expected to play here, he looked pretty poor today. You reckon the Wimbledon guys who modified the draw to screw Novak didn't know Kei wasn't well?

Semi final who knows he will get? The Wawrinka quarter is stacked.

He was 1/3 to reach the semi finals before today and now 1/4, the bookies aren't always right, but this time I think they are. He may screw up, but it will be a monumental surprise if he does not reach the semis at least and will play someone who could be knackered coming out of the toughest quarter.

Its not exactly the conspiracy that you are suggesting, and if it was, it hasn't been thought out to well.:P

It's not designed to screw Novak. It's more that all the players who have the best chance of beating Murray are in the top half of the draw. Federer is the only one who might be able to beat him, but I don't think it likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Djokovic was poor yesterday. Kohlscreiber bottled it at 4-4 in each set and he was actually playing quite well.

Djokovic was making a load of mistakes. Could be put down to a lack of match practise. But if he was to play like that against even an out of form cilic then he could be in trouble.

Having said that i fully expect him to sort his game out during the first week and then make it to the final

He's not a mentally strong player at the end of the day.

I'm amazed he's #1 to be honest, it's an easy title for Murray.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

the_monkey wrote: »

lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Memnoch wrote: »
    It's not designed to screw Novak. It's more that all the players who have the best chance of beating Murray are in the top half of the draw. Federer is the only one who might be able to beat him, but I don't think it likely.

Jeez, let it go and just enjoy the tournament. Look at it this way, Murray has to be prepared to meet any player to win the tournament!

How can some of us be so clear and certain with these prediction? The world of top level tennis is ridiculously competitive. Nothing is close to being a given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I'm saying this myself about myself - you should know to ignore the tripe that comes from my posts in the next 2 weeks ...

:D

I'm saying this myself about myself - you should know to ignore the tripe that comes from my posts in the next 2 weeks ...

:D

Post of the day!!:pac:

Kvitova picking up where she left off last year. Demolishing Bertens here. Didn't lose a single point on her own serve in the first set, which only lasted 18 minutes.

Nadal looking good.

Took Petra 36 minutes to reach second round. Really impressive!! Double fault in the second...and that was the only serve error.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

John Inverdale was a terrible presenter. They had so many complaints about him, he's been doing the show for years and yet still doesn't know the difference between a game, a set and a match. They were right to get rid of him.

That said the new format doesn't work for me. Maybe it'll improve given a few more days but it seems like they could have freshened it up a little bit without going to the extreme they have. Wimbledon crowd don't seem to be much craic either so the whole audience part seems unnecessary.

Inverdale is commentating now, so they certainly haven't got rid of him.

He's an anchor, not a commentator!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

walshb wrote: »
    He's an anchor, not a commentator!

Funny, when the caption came up on screen it said "Commentators John Inverdale and John Llyod". No mention of "anchor" anywhere.

Advertisement