Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

Anyone see Andy at the press conference after the match? Kudos to him for the way he handled himself and the unbelievably stupid questions he was asked esp the one about Federer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

sligeach wrote: »
    Good. Now the English can shut the hell up for another year about that Scottish crank Murray.

Some seriously sad bitter posting going on in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Wicklow Brave

CFlat wrote: »
    Anyone see Andy at the press conference after the match? Kudos to him for the way he handled himself and the unbelievably stupid questions he was asked esp the one about Federer.

Yep lol Roddick even said it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Some seriously sad bitter posting going on in here.

Happens every Wimbledon :) They'll be gone after Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

As if losing wasn't enough, Murray had to endure a one on one interview with Garry Richardson! Sooo condescending with his ridiculous non questions ''what kind of legacy will Roger have?'' Murray should have decked the cnut.

That is beyond dumb. Seem like Richardson doesn't learn from his mistakes.https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/tramlines/bbc-interviewer-garry-richardson-mocked-twitter-awkward-interview-220057065.html.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭BQQ

Martina Hingis is through to the final of both the ladies and the mixed doubles.

Such a lovely player to watch before the power hitters took over.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

WaterLily. wrote: »
    If Federer and Djokovic both play like they played today there is only going to be one winner come Sunday. Can't believe how well Federer is playing and at 33, it's just incredible.

true, but I would be very surprised Djokovic doesn't bring close to his best on sunday.

Djokovic didn't look that amazing coming into the final last year either.

One thing Federer said after last years final was it took him a long time to get a read on the Djokovic serve. I'm sure he will be swatting up on that over the next day or two.

These two almost always play very close sets and very close matches, whomever wins. If its as good a match as last years final i'll be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I love the way the commentators on the Bahrami/Leconte match stay absolutely deadpan and serious, like they're playing for real :D

Leconte was one of my absolutely favourite players back in the day - a fellow leftie, with that mad one-legged forehand which he seems to have dispensed with these days, sadly.

The poor ball boys/girls get a very hard time of it at these matches - I'm sure they love it though!

Great entertainment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I love the way the commentators on the Bahrami/Leconte match stay absolutely deadpan and serious, like they're playing for real :D

Leconte was one of my absolutely favourite players back in the day - a fellow leftie, with that mad one-legged forehand which he seems to have dispensed with these days, sadly.

The poor ball boys/girls get a very hard time of it at these matches - I'm sure they love it though!

Great entertainment.

Felt sorry for the ballboy who got told off by the umpire though, for catching the ball before it bounced.

:eek:

Andrew Castle is being very mischievous today as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

CFlat wrote: »

The man should not be let anywhere near a microphone.
    colossus-x wrote: »

I had forgotten about that little gem. Cringeworthy doesn't even begin to describe it.

Does anyone else reckon that if Fed wins on Sunday that he will do a Sampras on it and call it a day after the US Open?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Federer is mystifying. Is he playing tennis today that's better than anything previous? Forgetting all the brilliance for now, two areas why RF on fire is his sublime serving, and his sublime service return. His return of 1st serve is astonishing. His reflexes and reactions so in tune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

the_monkey wrote: »
    Thats the turning point ....

saved 5 set points .... Game Set Match Murray ...

Good shout

PeteFalk78 wrote: »
    Good shout

Aftertimer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

walshb wrote: »
    Federer is mystifying. Is he playing tennis today that's better than anything previous? Forgetting all the brilliance for now, two areas why RF on fire is his sublime serving, and his sublime service return. His return of 1st serve is astonishing. His reflexes and reactions so in tune.

Murray never showed up today and thus Fed was able to reel in the years with an array of great groundstrokes. Djokovic will (hopefully) give him more of a match and then we can see. Not taking anything away from Feds performance today, he was great but was under virtually no pressure throughout. I will be shouting for Fed on Sunday as I am convinced he wants one last slam before he heads into retirement. It will be interesting if his flawless game today will still hold up against a barrage of heavy groundstrokes from Djokovic. That was one key area of todays game, Murray hit loads of short shots and that set up easy winners for Fed time and again. Djokovic won't be as kind as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Wow, don't think anyone would have predicted that result! Delighted for roger. I'd love to see him win on Sunday, and going by both his and novaks displays in their semis, it looks like he could do it.

But as someone above rightly pointed out, Novak didn't look all that fantastic going into last years final either!! Hopefully it will be a good match. I'm going to miss all of it :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

From what I saw, Murray was too conservative, playing too far inside the lines. Rog went long with him until he needed to win it, and then either came in or hit the lines. I really think ( I hope) Rog has the beating of Djokovic this time. His backhand looks like it's reaching Wawrinka levels now.

Roger needs that 18th slam/8th Wimbly. Nice even numbers. 17 would be such horrible, awkward number to finish on LOL. Rafa needs that 10th RG aswell. #ocdproblems

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Great entertainment.
    Bahrami is great, its nice to see him get a bit of recognition on the seniors tour, especially since he was never able to fully realise his potential during his heyday due to the political situation in Iran.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Wow, don't think anyone would have predicted that result!

Nah, i think lots of people predicted that result,

Federer has always been Murray's nemesis

fryup wrote: »
    Nah, i think lots of people predicted that result,

Federer has always been Murray's nemesis

You think many people predicted a straight sets win for Federer?

And how has Federer always been Murray's nemesis? Murray has beaten him eleven times, in fact it's only recently that Federer overtook the head-to-head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

mzungu wrote: »
    Murray never showed up today

So if Murray showed up he'd get what, 90% of 1st serves in? :rolleyes:

Murray didn't play bad today whatsoever, just look at the stats. He was aggressive and won plenty of the longer rallies, especially early on when I thought he dominated the ground stroke exchanges. He dealt with Rogers netplay really well too and passed him for fun all day, some great lobs too.

IMO Murray doesn't have the game to beat a Federer playing at 95-100% of whatever is Federer's best anymore. Could take some sets off him alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

https://youtu.be/3_CvIsiXlLI

That shot, speechless...

You think many people predicted a straight sets win for Federer?

well i did
    And how has Federer always been Murray's nemesis? Murray has beaten him eleven times, in fact it's only recently that Federer overtook the head-to-head.

i meant on grass at wimbledon

fryup wrote: »
    well i did

i meant on grass at wimbledon

They'd only played on grass at Wimbedon twice before today, and they split those meetings... so not sure how that makes Federer Murray's "nemesis".

John.Icy wrote: »
    So if Murray showed up he'd get what, 90% of 1st serves in? :rolleyes:

Murray didn't play bad today whatsoever, just look at the stats. He was aggressive and won plenty of the longer rallies, especially early on when I thought he dominated the ground stroke exchanges. He dealt with Rogers netplay really well too and passed him for fun all day, some great lobs too.

IMO Murray doesn't have the game to beat a Federer playing at 95-100% of whatever is Federer's best anymore. Could take some sets off him alright.

First serves in mean little when the returner has the read of them. Fed was not troubled by him at all today and in the end was little more than a casual stroll. Murray can play a hell of a lot better. His backhand was below par and was way too short at times. Lets put it this way, if that is Murray's A game, then his best is behind him. Personally I don't think it is, he just had a bad day at the office.

I think some Federer fans are getting a bit defensive when people criticise Murray's performance today, as if to say that they're undermining Federer's win. I'm certainly not, Federer was brilliant today and fully deserved to win, but I personally don't think it's a lie to say Murray was extremely poor. Way too defensive, and some of his shots landed so short they were just begging to be punished.

i don't think murray played bad today, its just Federer is just too good

First serves in mean little when the returner has the read of them. Fed was not troubled by him at all today and in the end was little more than a casual stroll. Murray can play a hell of a lot better. His backhand was below par and was way too short at times. Lets put it this way, if that is Murray's A game, then his best is behind him. Personally I don't think it is, he just had a bad day at the office.

Well that just shows Federer returned very well today, hardly contributes to Murray underplaying in fairness?

No point discussing it further, you and Yerwan are more than entitled to thinking Murray had a bad day today or was 'extremely poor'.

Roll on Sunday. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Does anyone else reckon that if Fed wins on Sunday that he will do a Sampras on it and call it a day after the US Open?

I'm pretty sure he's planning on playing in Rio.

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure he's planning on playing in Rio.

I can't remember whether someone had said it about him or whether Roger said himself in an interview, that one more Wimbledon and he'd retire on the spot? Wonder if he actually would.

EDIT: Can't find anything online so it must have been someone else passing comment!

Advertisement