Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

the_monkey wrote: »
    Yes calendar grand slam as in all 4 slams in same year, she has allready done the career grand slam (all 4 in any year) multiple times.
    And a "Serena Slam" is any four majors in a row (but not necesarily in the same year).

Wonder why it's called that? Surely she can't have been the first ever to do it :confused:

Every day's a school day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    And a "Serena Slam" is any four majors in a row (but not necesarily in the same year).

Wonder why it's called that? Surely she can't have been the first ever to do it :confused:

Every day's a school day :D

I think cos she's the only one that can do it they are calling the calendar slam a Serena slam ...

:confused:

She's a drama queen anyway ... she'll be thanking Jehovah no doubt..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

She called it a Serena Slam when she won the FO back in 2002 and was holder of all the Majors. Media is bringing back the phrase I guess!

Steffi has the edge though. She has the Golden Slam. Some achievement!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

RosyLily wrote: »
    Steffi has the edge though. She has the Golden Slam. Some achievement!!

Serena would be doing well to win the Olympics this year in fairness :D

Venus Williams looks different, has she gotten plastic surgery ?

• Advertisement

What were BBC thinking with this new Wimbledon highlights show ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 lampylady

I think the English contingent is doing well this year. Great break from Heather Watson there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Ivanovic goes out. Beaten in straight sets by Mattek-Sands. My prediction of Bencic making the quarters looking more likely now!

Really good performance by Heather Watson to get through. Hantuchova is a tough opponent but she mixed up her shots well, was aggressive when she needed to be and her defensive game was so strong. Serena next- she'll obviously have the crowd on her side but she has quite a weak serve which Serena will almost definitely capitalise on.

With Kyrgios, I didn't think his behaviour was that outrageous. The likes of McEnroe have bemoaned the lack of characters in the game at the moment and that the players are too nice to each other. Having a few talking points like that can't be a bad thing. It was a bit childish perhaps but having interesting personalities like him is welcome. I don't think he's a particularly rude or obnoxious person.

Great to see the reception Nieminen got as he played his last Wimbledon match. Best way to go out- putting up a good fight against the world No.1 on Centre Court. Liked Djokovic's embrace of him at the end as well.

Wonder if today could have been Tommy Haas's last Wimbledon match as well. Still going well at 37 though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

smurfs5 wrote: »
    With Kyrgios, I didn't think his behaviour was that outrageous. The likes of McEnroe have bemoaned the lack of characters in the game at the moment and that the players are too nice to each other. Having a few talking points like that can't be a bad thing. It was a bit childish perhaps but having interesting personalities like him is welcome. I don't think he's a particularly rude or obnoxious person.

He's played 2 matches so far this week and has had a row with the umpire in both of them. People keep throwing up the "Andy Murray swears" argument, and he does, but it's always 100% clear that he's talking to himself. Kyrgios is swearing at the umpire, at opponents, at the linesmen etc. etc. Also, plenty of players will argue with the umpire if they think a call is wrong but Kyrgios is full on squaring up to them like he's trying to pick a fight outside the pub or something.

He wasn't like this last year, I don't know if the hype has gone to his head or if he's just having a bad few weeks but he's not coming out of it looking like anything other than a twat, in my opinion :D

Oh, one good thing to say about him today is that he got pretty annoyed with the Fanatics a few times. They were trying to sing over his argument with the umpire and he basically told them to pipe down.

The umpire incident is online?
    I found the 1st one , not todays tho ..

• Advertisement

the_monkey wrote: »
    The umpire incident is online?
    I found the 1st one , not todays tho ..

Not sure if this link will work but there's a Vine of him talking to the Umpire here... https://twitter.com/Renestance/status/616239674584113153

I believe what happened was the line judge went up to the umpire to tell him something, I assume something Kyrgios had done or said. Kyrgios wanted the umpire to tell him what the guy told him, the umpire refused and Kyrgios had a go at him.

Kyrgios was cursing a blue streak, linesman heard him and told the umpire. Part of their job I guess. Nick was giving a bit of attitude to the umpire then. I think he said "Is that a threat? Do you feel big up there?" Or something along those lines.

Handbags stuff really. Not a patch on McEnroe's rants and raves!:)

Brydan Klein is known for swearing a lot on court. According to Twitter (I think), he was fined for swearing and the referee came to him and said if he didn't get fined for the rest of the Majors, he'd let it slide. Decent idea imo.

Out of interest, where does the fine money go? The tournament organisers? ITF? Charity?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I'd be calling the gards anyway

" Hello police? Yes there are some people making noise at a tennis match "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Wicklow Brave

Can't believe the hate for the Fanatics on here. Passionate fans just having the craic, creating a bit of atmosphere. Fair play to them.

Kyrgios is a bit of a s***head but there's going to be a serious void when Fed, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray who can transcend the sport finish up and tennis is in danger of losing a lot of casual fans and Kyrgios looks like he could be the best hope of keeping the sport in the spotlight (for good reasons I hope).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

5599 wrote: »
    This game, between Williams and Babos, is absolutely awful. So many unforced errors and bad first serves.

That's women's tennis!

walshb wrote: »
    That's women's tennis!

Exactly, and they get paid the same as the men for playing 3 set matches - and vastly inferior tennis - an absolute disgrace.

PCness gone mad...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

" Hello police? Yes there are some people making noise at a tennis match "

Your sarcasm meter is broken.

Watched that Wimbledon Today show with Clare Balding last night. What is the point of that show? Mad that thats the best the BBC can offer in the wayof highlights of an evening.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Your sarcasm meter is broken.

Watched that Wimbledon Today show with Clare Balding last night. What is the point of that show? Mad that thats the best the BBC can offer in the wayof highlights of an evening.

That's what they all say :pac:

This thread has turned to dirge, had to scan through about 2/3 pages yesterday to find some posts related to actual tennis. As is Wimbledon tradition, we've already had the digs as the quality of women's tennis and equal pay. Now all we need is someone to mention the grunting and we'll have the trifecta!

Anyway, no must-see matches happening today imo, it should start to get interesting tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to Nadal-Brown. That could be good as Brown has beaten Nadal before on grass. It was in a 3 setter but I hope he can do it over (potentially) 5. Dusty's dreads make for some fantastic photographs as well!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭Floppybits

That's what they all say :pac:

This thread has turned to dirge, had to scan through about 2/3 pages yesterday to find some posts related to actual tennis. As is Wimbledon tradition, we've already had the digs as the quality of women's tennis and equal pay. Now all we need is someone to mention the grunting and we'll have the trifecta!

Anyway, no must-see matches happening today imo, it should start to get interesting tomorrow.

It is usually the way in the slam's that they first week is not too exciting unless you get a freak week and there are a lot of upsets. There have been a couple of good matches like the Cilic one last night, it was just a pity it ended on a double fault. Today is the last day of what I would see as the straight forward matches and from tomorrow onwards as you say things should start getting more interesting.

The women's tennis is a bit harder to get, there have been a few shocks but you are still expecting Serena to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,112 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its a pathetic show ,utter drivel.
    This dumbing down of tv has to stop .

Also can anyone explain to me why only women get heat breaks at Wimbledon and men dont ?:confused:

Its a pathetic show ,utter drivel.
    This dumbing down of tv has to stop .

Also can anyone explain to me why only women get heat breaks at Wimbledon and men dont ?:confused:

See my above post - PC bullsh'it ... no more.

I have no idea. It doesn't make any sense to me. Everyone should be allowed the 10 minute heat break.

I feel sorry for the linespeople. Long-sleeved shirts buttoned to the last, trousers/long skirts, ties. They must have been so uncomfortable yesterday.

The ITF runs the 4 Slams, not the WTA or the ATP. The WTA and ATP negotiate separately with the ITF if there are any issues around player welfare or anything like that at Slams.

The WTA fought for their players to get the heat break. It's a WTA rule in place on the WTA tour. Slam wise it's usually only seen during the Aus Open where high temps are common place, never seen it at Wimbledon before.

The reason the men don't get it is because the ATP never tried to get it.

RosyLily wrote: »

I suppose they're thinking of the modern times where you can stream online matches and watch four or five at once and you have the App and all that jazz so who needs highlights?

Problem with that is not everyone has red button, and a lot of people actually work during the day, surprisingly. I remember a few summers way back I was working lots and couldn't see anything live and was relying on the highlights show each evening to catch up. If I was still in that position, as I'm sure lots of people are, I'd be pretty hacked off with the new format too.

I suppose they're thinking of the modern times where you can stream online matches and watch four or five at once and you have the App and all that jazz so who needs highlights?

Problem with that is not everyone has red button, and a lot of people actually work during the day, surprisingly. I remember a few summers way back I was working lots and couldn't see anything live and was relying on the highlights show each evening to catch up. If I was still in that position, as I'm sure lots of people are, I'd be pretty hacked off with the new format too.

The main issue with the previous highlights programme was that it was on too early ,8pm, starting when there was still live tennis.

It should be on at 9 or 10pm.

The highlights programme on TG4 is quite good .

The highlights programme on TG4 is quite good .

Except it's not on this year.

I suppose doing the show at 8.30/9, the majority of people are home from work/college and will be settling in to watch tv.

The TG4 highlights show was really handy.

• Advertisement

Except it's not on this year.

:o
    Oops I could swear I watched some of it .
    I must have watched it on another channel ,its a prepackaged show transmitted across Europe.

Advertisement