Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Some shockers coming from rafa's racket. Not to take away from how well brown is playing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

Legoface wrote: »
    He was the favourite to beat Nadal today in my eyes, Nadal is rubbish at the moment.

Ok. Im just a Wimbledon/RG watcher of tennis so Im probably not as tuned in as I should be but Im really enjoying this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

CFlat wrote: »
    I thnk he's going to beat Nadal. This could be a JFK moment. You know, where were you when the unknown Justin Brown beat Rafael Nadal.

Couldn't resist :P:D:D

John.Icy wrote: »
    Couldn't resist :P:D:D

That link isnt working for me but I assume you're about to point out to me how well known he is and how many competitions he's won:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Absolutely fearless hitting from Brown. Yes, he's making a lot of mistakes but he's such an entertaining player to watch. Such a unique style. Nadal not being given the chance to get into a rhythm- Brown not entertaining the prospect of long points full of groundstrokes from the baseline, which is what Nadal wants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

That link isnt working for me but I assume you're about to point out to me how well known he is and how many competitions he's won:)
    haha no, just that his name is Dustin so I had a giggle seeing 'unknown' beside his name as it was true in this case! :)

Aside: I always knew if Brown could arrive in good form he'd at the very least take a set off Nadal. He was so so impressive against Nadal last year in Halle and it's been such a pity not seeing him play like that a couple more times at least. If he does win today though I can see him losing the next round in 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭bing3

Great stat in the last set on where Brown returned serve from. 100% were inside the baseline.

This should be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Nadal bet by Bob Marley !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Very impressive from brown. Although I'm hopefully wrong, but I agree with the poster who said he will probably lose in three next round :pac:

• Advertisement

Never a fan of Nadal but sad to see a great player decline so quickly.
    Credit to Brown though. 102 in the world. Crazy what you need to be a top player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,146 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Very impressive from brown. Although I'm hopefully wrong, but I agree with the poster who said he will probably lose in three next round :pac:

He probably will though, these type of players worst enemy is consistency, Troicki a solid enough player in good form will probably have to much for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Wicklow Brave

Kudos to Brown, sensational tennis. One of Brown, Troicki, James Ward or Pospisil will reach the Quarters. I hope Brown or Ward. Rosol, Darcis and Kyrgios all went out in the next round following their wins over Nadal at Wimbledon, I hope Brown can buck the trend.

Gutted for Nadal. What now for one the greatest players of all time? I think he can come back and challenge at the US Open. He must be scratching his head why he keeps getting beat by players outside the top 100 at Wimbledon having reached the final on his 5 previous appearances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Kudos to Brown, sensational tennis. One of Brown, Troicki, James Ward or Pospisil will reach the Quarters. I hope Brown or Ward. Rosol, Darcis and Kyrgios all went out in the next round following their wins over Nadal at Wimbledon, I hope Brown can buck the trend.

Gutted for Nadal. What now for one the greatest players of all time? I think he can come back and challenge at the US Open. He must be scratching his head why he keeps getting beat by players outside the top 100 at Wimbledon having reached the final on his 5 previous appearances.

The problem for Nadal now is that these players don't fear him anymore and feel that they can beat him. Where as a few years ago he would have beaten most of these players before they walked onto the court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,112 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Im probably going to display my ignorance of professional tennis but this Brown guy has been a pro since 2002!! What the fu*k is that about. He's a sensational player.

I think he's going to beat Nadal. This could be a JFK moment. You know, where were you when the unknown Dustin Brown beat Rafael Nadal.

He isnt unknown ,I've often seen him at Queens upset people.
    He is a dangerous opponent when serving well on grass.
    The problem for Nadal now is that these players don't fear him anymore and feel that they can beat him. Where as a few years ago he would have beaten most of these players before they walked onto the court.
    He looks to have lost a yard of pace and his serve is very slow now ,some of his serves today were under 100mph.
    It also highlights how hard it is to win a tournament when you are a high seed,much more difficult path.

Saying that though Nadal was rubbish today ,his serve was very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Getting old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Watched a bit of the Nadal game earlier. Never heard of Brown before tbh but he has a beast of a service game. Dropped one outrageous half volley as well.

Pretty impressive effort given the commentators mentioned he played a doubles 5 setter last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭StillIntact

It's becoming less of a surprise to see Nadal lose like this. Despite not having a lot of points to defend, his form doesn't suggest he is heading back to the top 2/3 soon. Lower ranked going into the US hardcourt swing could see him vulnerable to more players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I can see him retiring very soon. He looks like his heart isn't in it any more.

He was terrible tonight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

His forehand seems to have totally lost its ooomph

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭Floppybits

It's becoming less of a surprise to see Nadal lose like this. Despite not having a lot of points to defend, his form doesn't suggest he is heading back to the top 2/3 soon. Lower ranked going into the US hardcourt swing could see him vulnerable to more players.

The hard court swing will be interesting. There is a bit of a break now before that part of the season kicks in so it will interesting to see how nadal is after the break. He might just need the break to get his head and game together.

Tony EH wrote: »
    I can see him retiring very soon. He looks like his heart isn't in it any more.

You may well be right. It's incredible to think he's still only 29 (and only turned 29 just last month at that). He achieved so much at such a young age. Like he was only 22 when he annihilated Fed at RG and won Wimbledon in that epic final & he was long established at that stage in comparison to Murray and Djokovic who are only a year his junior. I'd love if he could win a 10th RG and maybe another Australian so he'll have won all Grand Slams multiple times.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I recall hearing about 7 or 8 years ago some commentators speculating that the punishment Nadal puts his body through is going to come against him in his late 20s. He has had quite a few injuries over the past few years, this is most likely behind his dips in form. Still a dangerous player and I would never write him off but he has had a good few first and second round defeats in slams over the past couple of years, his air of invincibility is now long past. At the moment its not the Nadal of old and hasn't been for some time.

Legoface wrote: »
    22 is normal for the greats to be peaking, I don't get when people think that's young to be winning slams.

Well he had won 6 slams before his 23rd birthday. That is incredible.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Not surprised to see Nadal lose today. He's struggled at Wimbledon the past few years, especially in the early rounds. The second week the grass is more like playing on clay anyway but he can't seem to even make it that far anymore.

His seeding this year won't have helped either but I don't think it's too big of a statement to say he'll never win Wimbledon again, whatever about the other Slams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Sad to see Nadal declining so badly. A couple of years ago at 2-1 down you would have been confident that he'd be able to turn it around but today you kind of felt he was doomed. In saying that though Brown served really well and was very solid closing it out.

Monfils the entertainer pulled out a new trick today to amaze the fans. This was class. Picture not great but you get the idea.

Pighead wrote: »
    Monfils the entertainer pulled out a new trick today to amaze the fans. This was class. Picture not great but you get the idea.

Reminds me of this ...

I miss Rios. The player Monfils wishes he was.

Setanta Ireland have the Irish rights this year. I think they just have the BBC feed though because it appears to be all the same annoying commentators.

Just to confirm that the highlights programme on Setanta at night is the same programme that used to be on TG4 narrated by the great Simon Reed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Nice to see a grasscourt player playing grasscourt tennis winning a grasscourt match against a clay court player playing clay court tennis.

• Advertisement

Mousewar wrote: »
    Nice to see a grasscourt player playing grasscourt tennis winning a grasscourt match against a clay court player playing clay court tennis.

True
    Im probably going to display my ignorance of professional tennis but this Brown guy has been a pro since 2002!! What the fu*k is that about. He's a sensational player.

He is a sensational player on grass ,especially fast grass .
    However the problem for him and other grass style players is that there are only a handful of tournaments on grass nowadays and the speed of the grass courts are alot slower than they used to be before 2002.
    Its not fair .

Who would you prefer to watch ,an aggressive player going for big shots or a grinder playing percentage tennis.
    Slower courts suit grinders and that's why guys like Brown dont have a chance.

Advertisement