Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homesafe help button

• 21-06-2015 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask - mods, please move if it's not…

Friends who are getting a little wandery have those Homesafe (I think that's the name) buttons to hang around their necks, to call for help if they're lost or in trouble. But they keep losing them around the house. The fact that he has one and she has one doesn't help.

Is there any way that you can get these to beep if you send it a signal from a computer or something, the same way you can get a lost iPhone to beep if you use the "Find My iPhone" facility on icloud.com?

When last heard of, he was wearing hers, while she stayed home, alone in the house, without any…

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

Hi Q
    My parents have 2 of those red pendant social alarms which I think is what youare referring to. They have a choice if wearing them around their neck, wrist-worn or with a belt clip. So maybe a wrist-worn option would be less likely to get taken off and lost. The supplier *tunstall emergency response * sent out new wrist strap for no charge to replace to neck string. They communicate with base unit using RF or something technical so there is no sim or anything in the pendant to help find it. There are other devices which have sims built in and have lockable straps to protect against removing them. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Just an idea, could you stick one of the tags described here onto the pendant alarm?

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/bluetooth-tracking-devices/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Hmm. They're not very techie. And while a wrist version might have been better in the first place, what they have now is a neck version. Pity it doesn't have a "locate-me" beeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Perhaps a key finder (put it on the same strap as the panic button)

http://www.joe.ie/life-style/energy-saving-gadget-the-ultimate-key-finder/37605

There are other types that you just whistle for too.

• Advertisement

Thanks, but they lose them around a big rambling house full of stuff, so a key finder is no use. What a nonsense that such a thing wouldn't have a "find-me" beep like an iPhone!

Do they use smart phones?

http://cobratag.com/overview/

The tag and phone will automatically start beeping if separated, however they need charging at least once a week.

Some other devices here,

http://www.alzheimers.net/8-8-14-location-devices-dementia

Thanks, brightspark. I think they're both Nokia folk! I'll have a look at the links you kindly provided.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think this is probably the best you can get for the purpose you need.
    The person can call for help and talk to a selection of contacts, it has gps so people can find you and you can ring it's number to easier locate the person, as long as there is a signal.
    link
    0Doro_Secure_580IUP_white_right.png

Thanks. I don't think they're going to change - family gave them the homesafe buttons - so until the button maker sensibly puts an ability to beep - the modern equivalent of "sending a howl down the line" in the old days of analogue phones - they'll just have to stumble on in their senility with what they have.

• Advertisement
Advertisement