Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missed connecting flight

Options
  • 21-06-2015 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭

I was flying from Denver to New York and then connecting to Shannon. We were left in the runway for 2 hours in Denver and then 30 mins in New York and missed out connecting flight by 10 minutes. We were put on the Dublin flight 3 hours later and when arriving in Dublin my bag was lost and they offered me no way to get to Shannon. They said it was tough **** I got to Dublin. 2 of us hired a car so I am 60 euro down and got to Shannon 8 hours late with no bag. Am I entitled to anything.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Have a read here, should help you out!

http://www.flightrights.ie

I don't know how these regulations would apply if you had an American carrier!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

niallo27 wrote: »
    I was flying from Denver to New York and then connecting to Shannon. We were left in the runway for 2 hours in Denver and then 30 mins in New York and missed out connecting flight by 10 minutes. We were put on the Dublin flight 3 hours later and when arriving in Dublin my bag was lost and they offered me no way to get to Shannon. They said it was tough **** I got to Dublin. 2 of us hired a car so I am 60 euro down and got to Shannon 8 hours late with no bag. Am I entitled to anything.
    Thanks

I would think not tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

It depends on the carrier and the nature of the delay. If it was a EU or Icelandic, Norweigan or Swiss carrier you may have rights under EU law.
    http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

If it was a US carrier then it seems you're relying on airline policy, there doesn't appear to be much regulatory protection.
    http://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/fly-rights

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭NicoleW85

I'd imagine you should be entitled to some sort of compensation. Which airline were you with? No matter what the circumstances were regarding the delay in Denver, it wasn't your fault & the knock on effect was out of your control. I'd contact the airline first thing in the morning and request compensation for the car hire at the very least! Make sure to chase up the list baggage too. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

It was with United. Really horrible people to deal with. The delay was due to miscalculating the weight of the number of people on board or some ****e like that. I didn't think I should be down money when the delay wasn't due to weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

Thanks
    If the airline only fly to Shannon once a day, then your other option would have been to arrive in Shannon 24 hours later - and a toss up on the airline would pay for an overnight stay in JFK (probably very unlikely, unless it was very clearly their fault that you were delayed, rather than weather/ATC issues).

While it's annoying as hell, you actually did pretty well for a missed flight to Shannon, especially if it was the outbound leg of a fight - losing a whole day from a weeks trip is a pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Travel insurance might be easier to pursue than the airline?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭NicoleW85

United put us up in a best western hotel in Chicago when we missed our connecting flight to Vancouver, then bumped us up to first class on the flight the next morning. That's why I asked - I thought they were decent enough to deal with. Then again, we we had a 7 hour delay @ LHR due to ATC crashing so they maybe took pity on us. But push for some form of compo honestly - we Irish are so bad at making ourselves heard!!!

I think the fact they sent my bag to Edinburgh pushed me over the edge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I think the fact they sent my bag to Edinburgh pushed me over the edge.

So is it actually lost? Or is it in Edinburgh? The airline has a certain period they can return it to you within

• Advertisement

athtrasna wrote: »
    So is it actually lost? Or is it in Edinburgh? The airline has a certain period they can return it to you within

No it's in Edinburgh. I don't mind the bag. I just though airlines had a duty to get you to place you paid to go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

No it's in Edinburgh. I don't mind the bag. I just though airlines had a duty to get you to place you paid to go to.
    EU airlines do as do other airlines departing from an EU airport. Unfortunately passengers on other flights are not as well protected.
    It seems the US doesn't stipulate passenger rights as such, it merely requires carriers in the US to decide their own level of customer service and adhere to it.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/smartertravel/a-guide-to-air-passenger_b_4017963.html

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

We're all the flights with United?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Weird reading all thise references to the EEC. You'd think that someone going to the trouble to document all that would know that the EEC became the EC in 1993, and the EU in 2009.

Stheno wrote: »
    We're all the flights with United?

Yes it was booked as one trip.

Advertisement