Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mens outfit options for wedding.... (as a guest)

• 21-06-2015 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Hi all,

Going to a wedding soon and I'm just wondering what options I have regarding what to wear.

I wear suits Mon - Fri for work so it doesnt feel like im going anywhere special or getting 'dressed up' when i put on a suit.

There's no specific dress code such as black tie or anything so im wondering if i could go with a paisley shirt, open collar and no tie? Or would i be seen as too casual?

In the past I've worn plain coloured suits with a white shirt and then used a bold coloured silk tie with a floral pattern... and matched my socks & a pocket square/hankerchief colours to my tie.

I have a couple of good quality suits but as I said i wear them every day for work so was just looking for alternative suggestions...

Not looking to make a statement or upstage anyone however.....

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

tempnam wrote: »
    Hi all,

Going to a wedding soon and I'm just wondering what options I have regarding what to wear.

I wear suits Mon - Fri for work so it doesnt feel like im going anywhere special or getting 'dressed up' when i put on a suit.

There's no specific dress code such as black tie or anything so im wondering if i could go with a paisley shirt, open collar and no tie? Or would i be seen as too casual?

In the past I've worn plain coloured suits with a white shirt and then used a bold coloured silk tie with a floral pattern... and matched my socks & a pocket square/hankerchief colours to my tie.

I have a couple of good quality suits but as I said i wear them every day for work so was just looking for alternative suggestions...

Thanks in advance!

I think you should stick to what you normally wear, sounds nice, buy yourself a new silk tie , or even a formal linen suit, if you are bored with wearing the same , but a paisley open shirt would definitely not be suitable attire for a wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

Is a tie a must? I'm well used to wearing a tie but like i said i tend to feel like I'm in 'work mode' and am definitely more relaxed without a tie.

What about a pain coloured shirt instead of white? I was thinking no tie but possibly a shirt with some colour/pattern/design on the inside of the collar...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

A lot of men going to weddings also wear suits for work.

I know my OH does, and when going to a wedding sticks to the formula.... one of the better suits, nice new white or cream shirt and a colourful silk tie and matching hanky in the top pocket. Trendy cufflinks are good too!

Nice shoes, new or nearly new and trendy. Job done.

Check out what your friends are wearing. Maybe you are all a bit ahem.... younger and all that! If they are going for a no tie affair, well maybe, but honestly, it's just the done thing.

A tie is essential at a wedding I think, especially for the pics. During the meal you can discard it, and roll up the shirt sleeves. Anything goes during and after the meal.

Make sure the shoes are comfortable. Lots of dancing to be done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

How about a suit in a more casual colour, like a light pearl grey or brown?

lizzyman wrote: »
    How about a suit in a more casual colour, like a light pearl grey or brown?

Im actually picking up a new suit today. It's a lighter colour alright. Its brown/tan kind of colour. Definitely different to my other suits which are blues & greys.

Might see if this is suitable. Will obviously have to consult the Mrs. first as she'll ultimately have the final say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

and matched a pocket square/hankerchief colours to my tie.

Don't ever do this. A PS should compliment a tie, not match it. If in doubt, go with a white straight fold.
    colourful silk tie and matching hanky

Ditto.

Don't ever do this. A PS should compliment a tie, not match it. If in doubt, go with a white straight fold.

Whats the reason for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

Whats the reason for this?

It looks too 'matchy-matchy' and is generally considered a major faux pas. It's kind of the same as buttoning the bottom button of a suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

I prefer a navy blue suit for weddings. Preferably two button, double vented and quite a deep v at the front. Charcoal/dark grey etc. are very businessy as are pinstripes. And everyone gravitates towards charcoal/almost black. Blue is a traditional colour for weddings etc. Light blue shirt and tie of your choice but I stay away from stripes as they look a bit businessy (imo). Rather than dressing down, dress up. French cuffs, cufflinks, white hankerchief, best shoes (oxfords or half brogues). I even break out a 60s Certina swiss watch and Dunhill lighter. Better slightly overdressed than underdressed :cool:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19 StylePoetic

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

Why not just get a blazer, as opposed to a suit jacket, and wear it with a nice pair of slim/altered trousers? Grey tweed something along those lines? Or if it's summer a light blue perhaps?

With grey and blue so many colours compliment it. Plus if you have a nice blazer it can be used whenever you want a smart casual look.

Re: no tie? I'd wear one. It always looks better and better looking at it than for it. Won't be long into the day before you can at least loosen it if you feel the need and then ditch it later.

Also, remember: women match, men compliment. Don't match your tie to your pocket square. Get something that compliments the whole outfit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement