Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** Match Thread*** Tue Jun 23rd Benildus 7pm Monks

Options
  • 21-06-2015 6:28pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Always a tough game, last report
    smashing goal by Cal to set us up.

They played well at times but so did we, they probably edge the clear cut chances but we had a lot of ball around the edge of the box but they were defensively pretty solid.

Need to listen to the keeper/CH or whoever is calling out defensive assignments at set pieces.

2 weeks, should be on 6 points but on 2.

Need to be disciplined next week

They have lads who can win headers in the box, need to make sure we challenge in the box.

Just need to make sure i take all the frees :pac:

Al - In
    Calvin -
    Cathal - In
    Cillian - In
    Ciaran - In

Craig
    Damo - In
    Dave
    Derek -Out
    Ed -
    Jack - Out
    Keith - in
    Ken - In
    Kieran - In

Mark - In
    SteMcd -
    Adam - In
    Paul - In
    Ayoub - In

Tiago -

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 gomeztiago

Tiago - In

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭SteMcD1

in

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

big pitch and warm weather will make for a tiring evening but we've abig squad

Al - In
    Calvin -
    Cathal - In
    Cillian - In
    Ciaran - In

Craig
    Damo - In
    Dave
    Derek -Out
    Ed -
    Jack - Out
    Keith - in
    Ken - In
    Kieran - In

Mark - In
    SteMcd - In
    Adam - In
    Paul - In
    Ayoub - In

Tiago - In

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i should be able to watch the second half, ill be up there from 6.30 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

i should be able to watch the second half, ill be up there from 6.30 onwards.

You can watch it from between the goalposts.

• Advertisement

Mousewar wrote: »
    You can watch it from between the goalposts.

played a game friday, sunday and last night, the body is sore today after some lad misinterpreted the rugby tackle into the GAA rule book.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

played a game friday, sunday and last night, the body is sore today after some lad misinterpreted the rugby tackle into the GAA rule book.

sure all you GAA lads are hardy Ed

Don't worry - you'll just have to stand there, we won't let anything through.

sure all you GAA lads are hardy Ed

yes but im in bits, i really am in no state to play. lets see how ye are fixed later, but i know myself i am no good to ye.

Another 3 points, thought we bossed the game pretty well.

They didnt trouble us i thought and we gave them lots of problems in the last third.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 gomeztiago

Great performance lads! Well done everyone. Let's keep it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Yep, good performance, we controlled the middle of the pitch and for 45/50 minutes we made sure they only had counter-attacks. I thought we should have done better for their first goal, and the second one was a penalty.

We should have had a pen of our own, in my opinion, but a pretty good goal from Cill won the game for us - shooting from distance lads, they go in.

Thought Ste did really well and deserved the goal he got.

Good win lads. Scoreline was closer than it should've been but we played well. I said before the game we needed to show we could attack as well as we had been defending and we did that well. We created lots of chances, something that has been rare on that big pitch in the past. Just need to do the same thing now on the smaller pitch next week.
    Great goal Cill.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I haven't seen a yellow card handed out since I started playing this league and obviously it probably takes something special given you're sent to the sidelines for it, but surely the ref would have been (or should have been) close to giving one out last night?

Also, I have to say that Ally had a great second half. First half saw some long high balls that didn't quite work out, but the second half you changed to short passes, provided great support with give and goes and didn't shy away from any tackle, including a beautiful tackle near the corner flag that sent the Monks player flying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

He did yellow card one of their players in the second half for mouthing. They scored while he was off the pitch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I'd agree the scoreline doesn't really show the dominance boards had at times, but equally, there was a dodgy five minutes around when they scored when they could've scored another and hit the post. It was very comfortable at 1-0, but quickly changed.

Good to see speculative or long range shots are paying off in the past few weeks, they do go in and it was a great second goal.

Some lads need to be careful of mouthing off at that particular referee, he digs his heels in and he is more likely to pick you out for it and card it as kicking someone up in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

the first half was a joy to watch was very impressed with the slick passing from midfield tiago and paul in particular are doing very well lately.
    The only two concerns i could note was our tendency to get caught on the break we were lucky not to concede from this so we will have to work on this.
    And our lack lustre ability to defend set pieces we nearly or do concede a goal every week from these.

We certainly have upped our game on the benildus pitch which is nice since we were horrible last season. Looking forward to next week

mrDerek wrote: »

We certainly have upped our game on the benildus pitch which is nice since we were horrible last season. Looking forward to next week

Conversely, our form on Colmcilles hasn't been as good. Need to make sure we transfer our good form to the smaller pitch next Tuesday.

mrDerek wrote: »

Colmcilles is a horrible pitch. better footballers play better on the bigger pitches, there is more space to do damage in benildus and Colmcilles you can be half decent and do well on long balls, throw ins and set pieces. several times last year teams sat back against us in Colmcilles and picked us off on the break, its not as easy to do that on Benildus.

for my monday team, we absolutely clean everybody out of it on Benildus but against same opposition in Colmcilles the games are more more closer.

Advertisement