Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€65 euro m2 for external insulation ?

Options
  • 21-06-2015 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

Lads,

I have been offered external insulation for 65m2.
    The spec is as follows
    adhesive, 10cm polystyren, mechanical fixings,
    basecoat, reinf. mesh, primer, finish render,
    corner profiles, ins stop profiles, ins start profiles and windows bead

does not include window sills and any services ( ESB points etc ) that need to be catered for.

Does this sound good ? Expensive, too good ?

Thanks
    R.A.Merc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,467 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The key services for EI are relocating rainwater gutters and sewer pipes.

Are the gas,fone ,esb boxes buried in the external walls.

Windowsills need doing also
    how much insulation will be on the window/door reveals?

Have u any plans to replace either?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Are the gas,fone ,esb boxes buried in the external walls.
    no, all seem to be on the wall rather than in
    how much insulation will be on the window/door reveals?
    I've no idea, is this something I should ask ?
    Have u any plans to replace either?
    Yes - the windows and doors go too.
    why does this matter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

RobAMerc wrote: »

Does this sound good ? Expensive, too good ?

You get what you pay for.:)

Proper ewi detailing should include going down to the footings ( at least 600mm below dpc) and up past the soffit such that the ewi meets the roof insulation. Not doing this may significantly increase the risk of you getting mould on your walls.

On the spec itself, why not go thicker than 100mm? The labour would be the same with only a relatively minimal increase in material. Also, polystyrene isn't breathable, so is this a good idea to be putting on the outside of your walls? Rockwool or wood fibre would be better.

If you are planning on changing the windows/doors, then do this first and move the new windows out flush with the existing walls such that the frames are covered with the new ewi. Then there is no need to worry about the reveal insulation thickness.
    Plus, don't forget to have the new frames air tightened to the wall (inner-leaf if a cavity wall).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

Seems too cheap OP.. I've never seen it for less than €90/m2

Caveat Emptor

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭vwt

Ive seen a lot of houses get this done recently....average price from talking to neighbours etc was 90-100 per sqm.65 sounds too good to be true and probably is.A job like this needs to be done by professional who do it on a daily basis.Ice seen some awful finishes and some good ones.Im sure the price reflects!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭MintyMagnum

How much would a 3bed semi cost to have externally insulated & upgrade of single aluminium windows. (1200 sq ft property) Would it be a lot cheaper to internally insulate & change windows? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Strolling Bones

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Does this sound good ? Expensive, too good ?c

Too cheap - be suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

MicktheMan wrote: »
    You get what you pay for.:)

Proper ewi detailing should include going down to the footings ( at least 600mm below dpc) and up past the soffit such that the ewi meets the roof insulation. Not doing this may significantly increase the risk of you getting mould on your walls.

On the spec itself, why not go thicker than 100mm? The labour would be the same with only a relatively minimal increase in material. Also, polystyrene isn't breathable, so is this a good idea to be putting on the outside of your walls? Rockwool or wood fibre would be better.

If you are planning on changing the windows/doors, then do this first and move the new windows out flush with the existing walls such that the frames are covered with the new ewi. Then there is no need to worry about the reveal insulation thickness.
    Plus, don't forget to have the new frames air tightened to the wall (inner-leaf if a cavity wall).

I'd be disagreeing with the use of Rockwool or Woodfibre externally, due to their predeliction to absorb moisture, esp over time. EPS/XPS is better, and structurally better for carrying the weight of render(s). Hence it being so widely used.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

galwaytt wrote: »
    I'd be disagreeing with the use of Rockwool or Woodfibre externally, due to their predeliction to absorb moisture, esp over time. EPS/XPS is better, and structurally better for carrying the weight of render(s). Hence it being so widely used.

Do you have any examples of failures due to these insulation materials (rockwool/woodfibre)?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

galwaytt wrote: »

Nothing wrong with mineral wool did you see the Denby dale passive house with 300 mineral wool in the cavity. Good as fire retardant and should be used in every house around esb box or party wall cavity barrier also recyclable at end of life as opposed to eps/ pir.

I'd have no problem specifying mineral wool Ewi the reason it's not used is it tends to be about 10/20% more expensive

And it's breathable, so it would work with lime render on rubble stone etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement