Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

computer slow and laggy

Options
  • 21-06-2015 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

computer becoming annoyingly slow, my Samsung s5/s3 phone will connect but sometimes cant be seen. When opening webpages it takes ages, granted i have tabs open but they always opened super fast before. When transferring stuff from computer to device takes too long now. hp keeps trying to update and it crashes but keeps insists on trying anyway over and over. i recently did a hard reset of the computer thinking ity was worth lose everything to make the computer faster but its worst now then before. The windows update happened recently.

j7xjr8.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

tonyheaney wrote: »

j7xjr8.png

Cant see any of the information on that screen grab.

By a hardware reset do you mean and total reinstall of windows? And the problem is still there? Might be a failing hard drive, download HD Tune and see if it is flagging any issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Cant see any of the information on that screen grab.

By a hardware reset do you mean and total reinstall of windows? And the problem is still there? Might be a failing hard drive, download HD Tune and see if it is flagging any issues

Regarding a failing hard drive do you mean the main computer tower? I had a few external hard drives fail in the last year. This was the only computer they were connected to. Would they have a similar fault?

here is another screenshot of my computer, 15chxrn.png dont know why the one above didnt work but im guessing i can add that to the list of issues for the computer.

20qb0ar.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Try ccleaner first, just analyse and clean

Skatedude wrote: »
    Try ccleaner first, just analyse and clean

I tried cc but it didnt detect anything and cost money to do so

Regarding a failing hard drive do you mean the main computer tower? I had a few external hard drives fail in the last year. This was the only computer they were connected to. Would they have a similar fault?
    Yeah, i'm not saying its definitely the problem, but it sprang to mind that if you re-installed windows (if thats what you did) and it was still slow it could be an indication that the hard disk that windows is installed on may be failing. In which case is suggested checking using HDtune or similar

However...
    I tried cc but it didnt detect anything and cost money to do so

CCleaner is free. You may have software problem after all somehow. Have your run malwarebytes and a virus scan by whatever you scanner you have?

• Advertisement

Yeah, i'm not saying its definitely the problem, but it sprang to mind that if you re-installed windows (if thats what you did) and it was still slow it could be an indication that the hard disk that windows is installed on may be failing. In which case is suggested checking using HDtune or similar

However...

CCleaner is free. You may have software problem after all somehow. Have your run malwarebytes and a virus scan by whatever you scanner you have?

I will do all suggested tomorrow when i get back but in the meantime i have considered getting a new computer. this computer is really the work horse of the family. its on nearly 18 hours a day 7 days a week. that could be the main cause. If so and if i get a new computer what should i look in to ?

I will do all suggested tomorrow when i get back but in the meantime i have considered getting a new computer. this computer is really the work horse of the family. its on nearly 18 hours a day 7 days a week. that could be the main cause. If so and if i get a new computer what should i look in to ?

Before you go running those, open task manager and go to the processes tab, and sort by the cpu you column and then the memory column, and see if there is anything hogging the resources of either that shouldnt be, or you dont recognise, it may point toward what the problem is.

If nothing, i would check the hard drive health with HD tune ( or similar, You are looking health status or S.M.A.R.T. status), and if that is ok run malarebytes and the virus scan.

Im only advising the scans last, as they will be reading practically everything on the drive, which if on its last legs may be the tipping point.

As regards a new computer, depends on budget and what you use or might want to use it for.

Before you go running those, open task manager and go to the processes tab, and sort by the cpu you column and then the memory column, and see if there is anything hogging the resources of either that shouldnt be, or you dont recognise, it may point toward what the problem is.

If nothing, i would check the hard drive health with HD tune ( or similar, You are looking health status or S.M.A.R.T. status), and if that is ok run malarebytes and the virus scan.

Im only advising the scans last, as they will be reading practically everything on the drive, which if on its last legs may be the tipping point.

As regards a new computer, depends on budget and what you use or might want to use it for.

hi i have taken a before and after screenshot, looks like Google uses a lot. we use this machine for watching online tv and downloading and so on.

Before 1zwjc55.png

After fw3muc.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Why are there so many instances of chrome open?

mordeith wrote: »
    Why are there so many instances of chrome open?

I just closed my browser session and opened a new one. Compared with the task manager you can see the chrome open. I do have my favoured pages on start up but that is only 6.

29479g0.png

• Advertisement

hi i have taken a before and after screenshot, looks like Google uses a lot. we use this machine for watching online tv and downloading and so on.

Before 1zwjc55.png

Was it struggling/slow at this stage? You can see at the bottom of task manager you are up to 89% RAM usage, and this was just at the moment of the screen grab, it fluctuates and you may have been hitting the limit every couple of seconds.

From your previous post

20qb0ar.png

You have 3GB of physical memory, but its limited to 2.75 for some reason. It may be that it is shared with integrated graphics or similar.

When you reach the RAM limit it starts to use part of the hard drive as RAM, which is several magnitude slower than your RAM and can slow everything up.

Does it slow up transferring stuff off the device like you mentioned when the RAM use is lower i.e. chrome left closed?

There maybe something in the background processes causing this also, which arent by default shown in task manager. If you could give a screen grab of task manager but hit the "Show processes from all users" button in the bottom left an sorted as before just for memory that my show something.

Advertisement