Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antisocial advice

Options
  • 21-06-2015 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭

Hi all, looking for some advice.

Living in a council house in an estate of 30 houses and built around 7 years ago.
    There has alway been antisocial behaviour problems in the area but the problem has worsened over the past few months with outsiders being brought in by the locals.
    Gangs of 15 to 20 hanging around in lane ways and on the entrance. Horses are been rode around, scramblers at high speed, damage to the surrounding area and name calling etc. it's become very hard to live in when you don't have the same attitudes as some of the families who are bringing them in. As they are not hanging around outside the houses of the people bringing them in but with members of their families, I don't see much I can report them on with the council, not that it does much good. The Garda don't have an interest as they just pay a passing interest when they are called to move them off. One of the abrasive parents will always back the teens up, no matter what they do. "They are only kids or it wasn't my son" is the usual response. A few of the other families are all pals together so you don't bring up issues if you talk to them in case it's said around. I feel sick every time I have to come back home because of the verbal abuse and the state of the place. It's maddening that they can be brought in to destroy an area while people just let it happen. Has anyone any ideas in tackling some of the issues or should I just keep my mouth shut and not get involved?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Keep a diary, contact the council and possibly a local public representative as well. Be assertive in getting this dealt with, shrinking violets don't get anything. You need to report this and keep doing so until people listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I know the type of people your talking about and unfortunately the whole country has a problem with dealing with these types and the gardai are usually powerless to deal with them due to possible discrimination cases and our legal systems inability to prosecute. I feel awful for you and your family OP, hopefully something can be done, but id be inclined to look for a transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Your local Councillor may be able to raise the issue for you at a local level

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Can you not move

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Transfer out, and hope for the best. No-one wants them, so most services will leave them in the one place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

_Brian wrote: »
    Can you not move

I would prefer not to move as kids in local school and made the house a home etc and why should I have to?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

The only way out is to get out of social housing.
    No matter what council estate you move onto you will encounter the same kind of people.
    It's cyclical. The kids are brought up by parents who don't care and they grow up to be parents who don't care. If you disagree with me then you are one of these people, simple.

Kids riding MX bikes at stupid speeds on public roads is not OK. If you think it is then you are one of these people.
    Little kids being out til all hours with not a parent in sight is not OK. If you think it is then you are one of these people.
    Horses tied up in fields and being ridden around the place by kids is not OK. If you think it is then you are one of these people.

I grew up in a middle class area. I can count on 1 hand the numbers of times I saw a horse in the street or a MX bike being ridden around on the paths and fields.
    I moved to an area the would be classed as lower middle class a number of years ago. There are 2 council estates in the vicinity. Horses, MX bikes, wheelie bins set alight, junkies in bushes, groups of kids under 7/8 yrs old out til 11pm are all weekly occurrences. For several weeks straight every Friday evening a group of 9/10 young lads all under 12 terrorised the streets on their MX bikes, breaking lights, up of footpaths, causing cars to break suddenly etc....

If you think this is OK then you are one of these people. If you live in these types of areas and think this is OK but don't believe you are one of these types of people it's only because you grew up with it and are used to it but it's not normal social behaviour......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

We used to live on a mixed estate, owners, private rented and some social. We were private renters.

We had issues with <MOD SNIP> teens, drug dealing and generally making a nuisance of themselves. There was a residents group formed, nothing changed, guards were called. Nothing changed. Councillors were involved, nothing changed.

It was immensly annoying to me that I was being kept awake at night and was going to work tired daily yet my taxes were paying for their social welfare.

I put up cameras in the end and it forced a confrontation. A group of 20ish teenage lads threatened me in front of my partner and children. It finally convinced my partner that we should move. We moved to the country and life has been so much better since then.

You will never make them change. Moving is the only option and as the poster above stated, any social housing you move to will be just as bad. I sympathise with you.

So long as we pay their social welfare they will keep doing what they are doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Please refrain from making references to specific ethnicities or nationalities when replying on this thread. Racial stereotyping is not permitted and will result in infractions. This is your only warning.

I would prefer not to move as kids in local school and made the house a home etc and why should I have to?
    Because no-one else wants your neighbours, for the reasons you gave.

If they're a "specific ethnicity" and/or under 18 the Gardai will have probably found out by now that the parents will give an alibi for them, or that they'll just reoffend when let out, and thus a waste of Garda resources doing much about it.

As stated above, either you move whilst you can, or you stay put and ignore the neighbours as they the areas reputation to the gutter, and you won't be able to get anyone to transfer with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

nc19 wrote: »
    If you disagree with me then you are one of these people, simple.
    Such comments are not welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

nc19 wrote: »
    The only way out is to get out of social housing.
    No matter what council estate you move onto you will encounter the same kind of people.
    It's cyclical. The kids are brought up by parents who don't care and they grow up to be parents who don't care. If you disagree with me then you are one of these people, simple.

Kids riding MX bikes at stupid speeds on public roads is not OK. If you think it is then you are one of these people.
    Little kids being out til all hours with not a parent in sight is not OK. If you think it is then you are one of these people.
    Horses tied up in fields and being ridden around the place by kids is not OK. If you think it is then you are one of these people.

I grew up in a middle class area. I can count on 1 hand the numbers of times I saw a horse in the street or a MX bike being ridden around on the paths and fields.
    I moved to an area the would be classed as lower middle class a number of years ago. There are 2 council estates in the vicinity. Horses, MX bikes, wheelie bins set alight, junkies in bushes, groups of kids under 7/8 yrs old out til 11pm are all weekly occurrences. For several weeks straight every Friday evening a group of 9/10 young lads all under 12 terrorised the streets on their MX bikes, breaking lights, up of footpaths, causing cars to break suddenly etc....

If you think this is OK then you are one of these people. If you live in these types of areas and think this is OK but don't believe you are one of these types of people it's only because you grew up with it and are used to it but it's not normal social behaviour......

The thing is, that the owners of the horses and bikes are from the private estate next to ours.

The thing is, that the owners of the horses and bikes are from the private estate next to ours.
    And they come to yours, probably because they wouldn't get away with it in their own estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

_Brian wrote: »
    Can you not move

I can appreciate that sentiment.. but how likely is it to get sorted.
    theory of getting garda/council involved is great but its likely to slip out or the scum will figure out its you pushing this in the background and likely make your life hell..
    Your kids may be happy in the local school but do really want them growing up in an estate where this behavior is being normalised, you'll need to stop them mixing with children on their own estate so giving a reason for them to be different and being different and not on the inside in such estates is a hard position.

Why should YOU move, because its in your benefit and better for your family life, may save your kids falling with a bad crowd - is there a better reason for anything ?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭pandoraj09

Most definitely, move. I bought a house in a council estate and unless you are of the same mindset of the majority of the residents, you will always feel out of place there. And when the little kids staying out until midnight get older, other kids will take their places. These estates are seen are just one big playground, an unsupervised one. I came home one Sunday afternoon and most of my hedge had been ripped up and thrown onto my lawn. The kids were hanging around my gate laughing at how upset I was. The guards laughed at me reporting "little kids". Their parents cursed at me and told me to **** off. I used to go to the upstairs back room, put in earplugs, turn the TV up loud and stay there until midnight. Then the parents would be drinking sitting outside on their walls and arguments would start late into the night....Most of the night dogs barked non-stop and when morning came the little kids were out again from 8am.
    I never felt so depressed and low in all my life. Your home is supposed to be your haven. Mine felt like a prison....This will not get better for you. You really need to move....

Advertisement