Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two separate supplies to an Immersion Heater - advice welcome

Options
  • 21-06-2015 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

A modern water cylinder. Two separate 3kW elements ( high and low level)..
    One element is connected via 20 Amp MCB on the board ( non-RCD section).
    Other element via 16A MCB on the RCD section.

Anyone got an idea how to rectify the situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

You need to get a Registered Electrical Contractor, as it obviously entails working on the distribution board.

Should be an easy fix for any competent electrician.

(Assuming both are independent elements, with separate stats, isolating switches etc, I'd probably feed them from two RCBOs), but I'd have to check the regs first to make sure)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

adrian92 wrote: »
    One element is connected via 20 Amp MCB on the board ( non-RCD section).

Are you sure that this MCB is not fed from the RCD? It may be installed in the non-RCD section but still wired through the RCD.
    Just a thought...

+ 1 to Brightspark's suggestion to sort it out if required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

A standard bath/sink immersion switch and one supply can be used.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Bruthal wrote: »
    A standard bath/sink immersion switch and one supply can be used.

That would mean only one immersion can be used at a time. It would be nice to be able to use both at the same time in this case because they are both wired already. My preference is to heat water by other means as eclectically heating water is very expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

2011 wrote: »
    That would mean only one immersion can be used at a time. It would be nice to be able to use both at the same time in this case because they are both wired already. My preference is to heat water by other means as eclectically heating water is very expensive.

Yea it can be done that way.

I'm just adding a suggesting another way it can be done, higher element in cylinder for sink, lower one for bath. 6kw would be a big load for a single application in addition to the other possible ones,

Both on together will heat the water faster. If its bigger than a standard cylinder, that might be useful. If its a standard cylinder, immersion switch and one element at a time would be my preference.

• Advertisement
Advertisement