Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mweelrea mountain - looking to hike it?

Options
  • 21-06-2015 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭

Hi any hikers out there? I am looking to hike Mweelrea soon - either with a club or a someone who knows the peak and who can navigate - anyone know of a club or anyone in the area who might be heading up it any time soon? i have insurance with mountaineering ireland and i am an experienced hiker

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

It can be a dangerous mountain if visibility worsens.

Suggest you contact Mayo Mountain Rescue as some of their members know that area well

Colm Byrne Westport used to be their PRO

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭K2

its a very serious mountain so assuming you have the fitness and necessary nav skills; the three routes i'd recommend are=

1.from Killadoon along the road above sandhills beach has access for a short up and down to the summit. Some restrictions on the land you can walk, parking at the beach and use your common sense on which farmland you cross.

2. from the Delphi centre side, a long circuit up tonatleva, onto mweelrea, ben bury, crossing the three spot heights and back down to where you started. Perfect for the long summer days.

3. my personal favourite, from the doo lough side climb up the gap between ben bury and teevaree rocks, it looks dramatic but the only tight spot is the very last exit onto ben bury. from there its a handy stroll to mweelrea and back to the same route down or if you have the time walk around to teevaree rocks and descend here (care required).

Its a beautiful spot, remote, unlikely you will meet other walkers, stunning views over killary but dont tell anyone otherwise it will end up being as packed as djouce hill on a sunday in june :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

relating to above
    1. dont cross the farmland nearest the beach, owner is a small bit "touchy" about this..
    there is an access onto the mountain approx a km back up the road from the beach , narrow path between 2 fencelines..this would be the way to go

3. nicest, most scenic and also my favourite route, but if misty or cloudy also very dangerous..

wonder would any of the guides in killary adventure centre bring you up.. worth checking out..

Advertisement