Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Innocent victims of Ireland's gangland.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The law is the same for everyone. And that law grants a power for the Superintendent to make a decision based on all the facts available to him. A court may not agree with his assessment when they look at the application but that does not mean the assessment was wrong.

If the law is the same for everyone, why does one Superintendent licence a certain type of firearm and then the Superintendent in a different district won't licence that same type of firearm? I'm talking about blanket bans in certain districts, I'm not talking about dodgy applicants. Some Supers will licence moderators for hunting, some won't. It's a postcode lottery at the moment when it comes to firearms applications.

Plus, a lot of information on Pulse is incorrect. Regarding firearms thefts, the Pulse figures released to the Minister included gun safes, telescopic sights, airsoft guns etc. Lots of things that aren't firearms to bulk up the figures.

I had two guns registered to me that I didn't even own.

There's no possible way you can make that claim without access to court records and Garda files for the 650 cases you mentioned. You have to at least put some kind of source for this claim forward. I've been involved in processing firearm applications since the new systems were introduced and I know for a fact that you are wrong.

Many members of my target shooting club were in the batch of 158 that went to the High Court. Every single one of them were renewals, not new applications.

I haven't all the details to hand at the moment but I'll pm them to you when I have them.

There's more to it than that. If they've developed psych problems, drinking problems or begun associating with criminals then this will be taken into account. So will concerns about their state of mind or the veracity of their claims on the forms.

If a person suffered from the above problems, the firearms should be taken from them immediately, and not when the firearm is due for renewal.

I would completely agree with a person having their firearm removed if they suffered from the above. But if this was the case, why were their centrefire pistol refused and their other guns not refused?
    There is also home security to look at. Is the firearm secure at the house or is there a lazy attitude towards that.

We all have to obey the secure accommodation rules. We have to have BS7558 gunsafes and some of us must have monitored alarms and cameras.

Again, if somebody wasn't keeping their firearms in the safe, then yes, refuse them the licence. This wasn't the case.
    Some of the applicants just don't bother submitting everything they are supposed to and then end up producing it in court.

I don't think that this applies much to renewals. If an applicant didn't supply all the relevant details, would you not just tell him that this section isn't filled in or that section needs to be filled in? Would that not solve some problems?
    Exactly what kind of agenda do you think a local Superintendent has for stopping people just having sport?
    Where's the motivation to do this come from?

Brooks doesn't like handguns and this has filtered down to his subordinates, that's just my opinion based on what he said in court.

That's completely incorrect. If a Garda stops a person with a firearm then that person can be arrested on the spot if they do not have a licence for it. In a free for all system, you can't do much about the gun until it kills someone. In Ireland you can take it from them beforehand. I suggest you Google firearm seizures for this year, particularly that one a few weeks ago. Tell me how many sports hobbiest you find in the news having their guns seized.

Google is a big place. Tell me what I'm supposed to be looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

That's completely incorrect. If a Garda stops a person with a firearm then that person can be arrested on the spot if they do not have a licence for it. In a free for all system, you can't do much about the gun until it kills someone. In Ireland you can take it from them beforehand.

I agree with this, if you think somebody is likely to misuse the gun. I'm talking about renewals being refused from upstanding, law abiding members of the target shooting community.

If a target shooter breaks the law, fire the book at him. If he is a law abiding citizen who gives no reason for concern, why is he being targeted?

My point about banning guns only really affects licence holders is that if guns were banned, us law abiding target shooters would give up our guns.

The criminals wouldn't.

The new proposals in front of the Minister/Committee would seize a lot of guns from sports hobbiests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

BattleCorp wrote: »
    If the law is the same for everyone, why does one Superintendent licence a certain type of firearm and then the Superintendent in a different district won't licence that same type of firearm? I'm talking about blanket bans in certain districts, I'm not talking about dodgy applicants. Some Supers will licence moderators for hunting, some won't. It's a postcode lottery at the moment when it comes to firearms applications.

So it's an issue you have with your own local Super. Maybe you have a point but that hardly equates to Gardaí and politicians targeting decent gun owners to the detriment of society.
    Plus, a lot of information on Pulse is incorrect. Regarding firearms thefts, the Pulse figures released to the Minister included gun safes, telescopic sights, airsoft guns etc. Lots of things that aren't firearms to bulk up the figures.

I'm not sure what your point is here. What information are you talking about?
    I had two guns registered to me that I didn't even own.

Again, I'm not exactly sure what point you are getting at here. PULSE records can be incorrect but generally they are correct.
    Many members of my target shooting club were in the batch of 158 that went to the High Court. Every single one of them were renewals, not new applications.

I'm not sure why you are making an issue of them being renewals and not new applicants. The most recent information is reviewed for each renewal. A renewal is effectively a new application in that regard.
    If a person suffered from the above problems, the firearms should be taken from them immediately, and not when the firearm is due for renewal.

But that is when this information is reviewed. Unless you are suggesting Gardaí have unlimited access to your medical records with some kind of alert system in place.
    I would completely agree with a person having their firearm removed if they suffered from the above. But if this was the case, why were their centrefire pistol refused and their other guns not refused?

Who are you talking about? You are clearly referring to specific cases and extrapolating them to the whole country.
    We all have to obey the secure accommodation rules. We have to have BS7558 gunsafes and some of us must have monitored alarms and cameras.

And some people don't. Some avoid the inspection until the decision date is passed and then blame the Gardaí for not coming out.
    Again, if somebody wasn't keeping their firearms in the safe, then yes, refuse them the licence. This wasn't the case.

Again, you are referring to a few specific cases and extrapolating them to the whole country.
    I don't think that this applies much to renewals. If an applicant didn't supply all the relevant details, would you not just tell him that this section isn't filled in or that section needs to be filled in? Would that not solve some problems?

It would if they then filled it in and submitted it after.
    Brooks doesn't like handguns and this has filtered down to his subordinates, that's just my opinion based on what he said in court.

Brooks who?
    Google is a big place. Tell me what I'm supposed to be looking for.

Firearm seizures not related to firearms use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Making scrotes proficient in weaponary on the states dime probably isn't going to work out well as a long term solution

Yeah lad, thread's five years old there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

zombie thread lock mk 2

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement