Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Hard Drive Dying a Death

Options
  • 21-06-2015 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Hoping someone here can help me with this. I have a 1TB USB 3.0 Western Digital external hard drive. I've been using it for the last 2 years to store videos I've edited. Long story short, it has started to die over the last few months. When I plug it in I can hear the drive clicking and spinning at an awful rate but it still take about 5 minutes for it to be discovered by the laptop and be usable.

Last week I tried plugging it into the USB on the laptop again and it gives a little beep indicating a device has been detected but it never shows up in My Computer or even when I go into Device Manager. I'm still able to safety eject it and whatever but I can't actually access the files on it.

Any ideas on how I could get it to work. Drivers are up to date. I have purchased a new external hard drive so I only need to fire it up once to get the stuff off it. Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Chavways wrote: »
    Hey,

Hoping someone here can help me with this. I have a 1TB USB 3.0 Western Digital external hard drive. I've been using it for the last 2 years to store videos I've edited. Long story short, it has started to die over the last few months. When I plug it in I can hear the drive clicking and spinning at an awful rate but it still take about 5 minutes for it to be discovered by the laptop and be usable.

Last week I tried plugging it into the USB on the laptop again and it gives a little beep indicating a device has been detected but it never shows up in My Computer or even when I go into Device Manager. I'm still able to safety eject it and whatever but I can't actually access the files on it.

Any ideas on how I could get it to work. Drivers are up to date. I have purchased a new external hard drive so I only need to fire it up once to get the stuff off it. Thank you in advance!

Always worth trying on another laptop / pc. Might not make a difference though. You could also try and remove hd from case and plug it directly into a pc if you have accessed to one.
    Hope it works out and you've not left it too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

There ia a dieing/dead hdd expert here on boards who should be along shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Once them HD's start clicking it's essential to backup what's on it because its usually the start of the end for it.

Advertisement