Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Fever in a dog

• 21-06-2015 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hello, I have a red setter who had nine puppy's three weeks ago today. Two days ago she was unwell (stiffness in her back legs, temperature, getting sick, very pale colour) and the vet said it was eclampsia, she received two injections of Calcumium, and supplements to take daily along with anti biotics. she has improved since then but is still unwell, in that she is not eating much food, upset stomach, still very groggy and sleeping alot. She has lost alot of weight in the last few days. The vet never told me to stop her feeding the pups, but since reading about it we have stoped her, however she has gotten into feed them at times, and we have taken her out again, but she keeps wanting to feed them. Just not sure what to do, I will take her back to the vet tomorrow but for now just want to see if anyone else has a dog with milk fever and how they found it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

No experience of that, sorry, but have a suggestion.
    If she's on antibiotics that can upset her stomach too, try giving a little natural yogurt, and if her appetite is poor, try cooking up some chicken thighs with veggies and rice, like a casserole, but be sure to pick out all the bones before giving it to her.
    Just a little at a time, a few times a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭leanonme

Thanks for the advice, I know this might sound really stupid but for tonight all I have is natural yoghurt with some favouring in it. Do you think that might help untill the morning. I will try the chicken thing tomorrow and see how we get on. Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Sorry just saw this now, mine love the flavoured stuff more than the plain, it will be fine until you can get some plain. Once it's the natural stuff it's ok.

Advertisement