Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

irishrail charge point

• 21-06-2015 11:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭

Do I need to pay for parking if I pull up and charge at a charge point at a train station? What about normal Council parking?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 ecocar

You don't have to pay for parking at Irish rail station car park once the car is been charged, in Council car parks it depends on the town/county council for that area.

ecocar wrote: »
    You don't have to pay for parking at Irish rail station car park once the car is been charged, in Council car parks it depends on the town/county council for that area.

Didn't know you don't need to pay at Irish rail ?

If it's not signed I'd pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Dexter1979

lfp wrote: »
    Do I need to pay for parking if I pull up and charge at a charge point at a train station? What about normal Council parking?

Unless it says there is no parking fee due I would pay. The Irish rail parking areas are always paid parking and this includes the area where the charge point is.

County Council car parks vary.

All charge points should have a simple sign explaining the rules about payment. This is what is happening in other countries and would simplify this issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 ecocar

Dexter1979 wrote: »
    Unless it says there is no parking fee due I would pay. The Irish rail parking areas are always paid parking and this includes the area where the charge point is.

County Council car parks vary.

All charge points should have a simple sign explaining the rules about payment. This is what is happening in other countries and would simplify this issue.

I use the train once or twice a week and I always leave the car charging and never had any problems. I phoned Irish rail and they weren't sure so they put me onto a rail supervisor who checked and they confirmed that once it is plugged in there is no car parking fee. Also to make sure I contacted the parkbytext people and they confirmed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭surpy

Are these charging spots intended to be blocked for 10hrs or so while people are at work?

Is there any time limit on a charging spot generally?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

surpy wrote: »
    Are these charging spots intended to be blocked for 10hrs or so while people are at work?

Yup, Pretty much. People travelling who need a charge use rapid chargers and not these slower 22kW units.
    The solution is when those chargers are full on a regular basis... Irish Rail and eCars need to add more.
    surpy wrote: »
    Is there any time limit on a charging spot generally?

When it comes to private parking like Irish Rail... nope. On a public street, only while you are charging. On a rapid... stay with your car or be monitoring it via your EV's mobile app and leave when you hit 80% or whatever you need for your journey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭lfp

Thanks folks, got up off my lazy arse and rang the parking company myself and they confirmed once the car is charging it is free to park.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭styo

ecocar wrote: »
    I use the train once or twice a week and I always leave the car charging and never had any problems. I phoned Irish rail and they weren't sure so they put me onto a rail supervisor who checked and they confirmed that once it is plugged in there is no car parking fee. Also to make sure I contacted the parkbytext people and they confirmed it.

Appreciate this i an old thread, but can you confirm that this is still the case? I rang parkiytext to check this when parking an EV for charging t a train station and I was told that I had to pay. Is this incorrect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

It depends on the station. Also they tend to word it so tha its only free while charging. Bit ridiculous if commuting as you can't come back during the day but they make the rules. SO potentially it becomes paid once the charge is complete.
    You're also likely to encounter some EVholes who like to litter your car with warnings for tying up an scp while at work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I've parked at a few stations recently as I find in rural towns the more central spots are rarely marked and usually have a VAG TDI weapon parked in them.

I've never paid, but I've also never not been charging. Bear in mind some of the posts are only putting out 16A so it'll take a while to charge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement