Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laurel hedge uneven growth & discoloration

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭nathan184

bump

I'd really appreciate any advice guys. My gardening knowledge is pretty limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

Cut them down to the hight of second rail up.bit of fertilizer should do it.
    The fathers that he planted last year I cut them down a bit and this year they are booming.
    They grow pretty rapid and are near impossible to kill even if you cut them at the top of ground they will sprout back

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jack Sawyer

If it was me I'd get a secateurs and prune 4 inches or so from each vigorously growing shoot to promote bushiness/stimulate more shoot growth and to change the Laurels natural inclination to grow as quickly as possible in a mainly upwards direction which does not make an ideal hedge and is at the expense of overall growth - ie. this will stimulate many more new shoots all over the plant itself and lead to a stronger more vigorously growing hedge.

Check Lidl/Aldi for soaker hoses and buy a 50Kg bag of potato fertilizer (good NPK ratio AFAIK) in the local co-op (about €25) and ask your local recycling depot if you can take some mulch in trailer loads (free in mine) to suppress all weed growth and keep the roots nice and happy.

I have a laurel hedge that is a nice substantial 8 foot plus green wall now having been planted in March 2012 - It would probable be 50% bigger now if I'd found out about soaker hoses, cheap fertiliser in a bag that's too heavy to lift and selective pruning earlier too!!!

Advertisement