Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrible fps recently

Options
  • 22-06-2015 3:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hey everybody, so in the last day or so my fps in all my games have seriously dropped. I play a bit of CS:GO here and there and I usually get 200+ fps easily with everything maxed out but all of a sudden I'm getting like 50, with spikes all over the place. One minute it could be 80 the next 30 then back to 50 it's just very odd especially when I'm used of running it with ease with 200+ fps.

I tried other games such as Arma III, H1Z1 - Games that I'd usaully be running on decent fps on ultra but now it nearly unplayable. I thought it was my temps at first but my CPU and GPU temps are fine. CPU is usally about 30-40 and GPU never goes over 60.

I've got a i5 4460 and a GTX 960 2GB Gaming edition. I've tried dusting around my PC a little and even re-installed all my graphics drivers but it's still the same. Anybody know why this is? I'd really appreciate some help, thanks! This also isn't an old PC I just build it a few weeks ago.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Bob44

Anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Open resource manager and check what your maximum cpu frequency is at when playing games.

Thanks for the reply! I'll take it you mean inside the task manager?

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU@ 3.20GHz

Maximum speed: 3.20 GHz
    Sockets: 1
    Cores: 4
    Logical processors: 4
    Virtualisation: Enabled
    L1 cache: 256 KB
    L2 cache: 1.0 MB
    L3 cache: 6.0 MB

Utilisation 7%
    Speed 0.74 GHz
    Up time 0:00:37:24
    Processes 69
    Threads 1003
    Handles 25730

When I tabbed out I seen it was near 20% utilisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Bob44 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply! I'll take it you mean inside the task manager?

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU@ 3.20GHz

Maximum speed: 3.20 GHz
    Sockets: 1
    Cores: 4
    Logical processors: 4
    Virtualisation: Enabled
    L1 cache: 256 KB
    L2 cache: 1.0 MB
    L3 cache: 6.0 MB

Utilisation 7%
    Speed 0.74 GHz
    Up time 0:00:37:24
    Processes 69
    Threads 1003
    Handles 25730

When I tabbed out I seen it was near 20% utilisation.

Resource manager, not task manager. You can access it from the bottom of the performance page in task manager. Although from the above I can tell it was running at about 20% max freq with a game running in the background.

Change your power settings to high performance. Make sure in advanced settings that the maximum processor speed is set to 100%. If the problem still persists you have a thermal throttling problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement