Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Download speed hugely Decreased

• 22-06-2015 8:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi

Can somebody from Eircom please confirm for me that Eircom are not limiting download speeds on my line?

When I first took out my contract with eFibre 16 months ago I got speeds of 45-50 mbps, very happy with that.

Now I'm lucky to get 20-25 mbps (i know from reading this thread that i am probably quite lucky to be getting anything like those speeds and apologies to anyone who feels like i'm trolling)

Last Friday evening I got 8mbps and last night it was 6 mbps!!

I am literally 30 metres from the cabinet, it's right accross the road from my house.

I had a look at your website (which is incredibly bad for a telecommunications company by the way, broken links all over the place) and in the "Help" (i'm using that term very loosely) section it recommended using Eircom's Speed Checker. Fine and dandy except it returned an error saying that Eircom don't actually have a license to use it!

If anyone could confirm i'm not being limited i'd appreciate it, failing that i'm lucky enough to be out of contract and can very easily jump ship to UPC or SKY.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi

Can somebody from Eircom please confirm for me that Eircom are not limiting download speeds on my line?

When I first took out my contract with eFibre 16 months ago I got speeds of 45-50 mbps, very happy with that.

Now I'm lucky to get 20-25 mbps (i know from reading this thread that i am probably quite lucky to be getting anything like those speeds and apologies to anyone who feels like i'm trolling)

I am literally 30 metres from the cabinet, it's right accross the road from my house.

I had a look at your website (which is incredibly bad for a telecommunications company by the way, broken links all over the place) and in the "Help" (i'm using that term very loosely) section it recommended using Eircom's Speed Checker. Fine and dandy except it returned an error saying that Eircom don't actually have a license to use it!

If anyone could confirm i'm not being limited i'd appreciate it, failing that i'm lucky enough to be out of contract and can very easily jump ship to UPC or SKY.

Cheers
    Hi Lawros Tache

I'm sorry to hear of your degraded speeds. Please do feel free to PM me your eircom account number and I'll investigate this further,

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

Hi

Cheers
    Hi Lawros Tache

I'm sorry to hear of your degraded speeds. Please do feel free to PM me your eircom account number and I'll investigate this further,

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks Alan,

PM sent

Hi

Cheers
    Hi Lawros Tache

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks Alan,

PM sent
    Thanks for your PM,

I've run a number of tests on your line and broadband, I genuinely cannot see what could be causing your slow speeds - there is no sign of a fault on your line and more specifically your speed profile is set to up to 90Mb download.

I'm not sure if the speeds you are quoting are over WiFi but even on WiFi speeds should not go as low as 8Mb (unless there's a massive amount of streaming and downloading going on in other devices).

The best advice I can offer you is to get in touch wit our technical support team as a technical support agent will be able to run more in depth tests and assign a technician if required.

You can reach technical support on free phone 1901 or via webchat here www.eircom.ie/chatnow

Thanks
    Al

Hi Alan,

Thanks for checking things out and for getting back to me.

At the time i was experiencing the 6 & 8 mbps I didn't actually have anything else connected to the network, just the laptop doing the speedtest and no streaming or downloads active.
    It is wireless speeds i am measuring so while i never achieved anything close to 90mbps, i was quite happy with 40something. It's only when it fell to 20-25 that i noticed things running slower and last Friday and last night they were ridiculous.

I am just as mystified as you now as i had banked on the line being limited by Eircom but you obviously say it isn't.

I just ran another speedtest (again with nothing else running) and got the following (screenshot attached)

I really appreciate your help but to be honest if it continues i think i'll  simply change providers. There's obviously a bottleneck of some description or ratios are over extended as 12 mbps on a monday afternoon is ridiculous considering the vast majority of people are in work and the line is supposed to receive 90!!
    (Also the upload is 50% faster at 18!)

Thanks for your help

Hi Alan,

Thanks for checking things out and for getting back to me.

At the time i was experiencing the 6 & 8 mbps I didn't actually have anything else connected to the network, just the laptop doing the speedtest and no streaming or downloads active.
    It is wireless speeds i am measuring so while i never achieved anything close to 90mbps, i was quite happy with 40something. It's only when it fell to 20-25 that i noticed things running slower and last Friday and last night they were ridiculous.

I am just as mystified as you now as i had banked on the line being limited by Eircom but you obviously say it isn't.

I just ran another speedtest (again with nothing else running) and got the following (screenshot attached)

I really appreciate your help but to be honest if it continues i think i'll  simply change providers. There's obviously a bottleneck of some description or ratios are over extended as 12 mbps on a monday afternoon is ridiculous considering the vast majority of people are in work and the line is supposed to receive 90!!
    (Also the upload is 50% faster at 18!)

Thanks for your help
    Hi Lawros Tache

Yes i do understand your views on this. Have you run a test while disabling WiFi and connecting directly to the modem?
    Wifi speeds will always be slow based on distance from the modem, walls in the way and type of insulation etc.

It may be a case where changing wireless channels is required - A technical support can do this for you.

I can assure you the speeds are set to up to 90Mb but the 'up to' term is always used especially in consideration of connecting via WiFi.

Cheers
    Al

• Advertisement

Hi Alan,

I don't know if you did anything or not but the speeds this morning are absolutely fantastic!

Could be a coincidence of course but i'm getting over 60mbps sustained for the last few hours.

If you rattled someones cage then i appreciate it. In the meantime i'll continue to monitor and call a technician if the problem returns.

Thanks for all your help

Hi Alan,

I don't know if you did anything or not but the speeds this morning are absolutely fantastic!

Could be a coincidence of course but i'm getting over 60mbps sustained for the last few hours.

If you rattled someones cage then i appreciate it. In the meantime i'll continue to monitor and call a technician if the problem returns.

Thanks for all your help
    Hi Lawros Tache

Yes you could say a cage was rattled a little, well to be honest I just sent your details and this thread to our technical support managers.

Cheers for the update :)

Al

Well I appreciate it Alan, somebody definitely did something, check out the attached screenshot; it was never that fast...

Many Thanks again for all your help.

Well I appreciate it Alan, somebody definitely did something, check out the attached screenshot; it was never that fast...

Great :)

Appreciate you updating the thread Lawros Tache (Quite possibly the best Profile name I've seen BTW)

Cheers
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ndiver

Appreciate you updating the thread Lawros Tache (Quite possibly the best Profile name I've seen BTW)

Cheers
    Al
    Hi Al,
    Now that you are in the business of "miracle working" can you do anything for my broadband download speed of only 1.3. It has been getting progressively worse over the last few weeks.

• Advertisement

Ndiver wrote: »

Cheers
    Al
    Hi Al,
    Now that you are in the business of "miracle working" can you do anything for my broadband download speed of only 1.3. It has been getting progressively worse over the last few weeks.
    Hi Ndiver

Please PM me your land line number and I'll look in to this - I can't guarantee miracles but I'll do my best :)

Cheers
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ndiver

Hi Alan,

Did you receive my PM on Tuesday evening, and if so any update please?

Ndiver wrote: »
    Hi Alan,

Did you receive my PM on Tuesday evening, and if so any update please?
    Thanks for taking my call Ndiver

I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Cheers
    Al

Advertisement