Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus service from Ballinteer to city centre

Options
  • 22-06-2015 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Am considering a move to the Ballinteer area, but work in the IFSC.

What's the bus service like from Ballinteer area to city centre, particularly at rush hour? (Let's assume one is living too far from the Luas for it to be an option).

What are the approximate journey times at rush hour?
    In particular the No. 14?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

14 would take a while. The 16 goes to town too

• Registered Users Posts: 17,721 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The 14 and 16 can take up to 50 minutes at rush hour from Ballinteer to O'Connell Bridge (when schools and colleges are on).

In general the 16 would be faster in the morning peak inbound, but the 14 would be quicker outbound in the evenings.

Normal off-peak journey time is approximately 35 minutes.

An alternative option is to take the 14 or 75 from Ballinteer to Dundrum and get the LUAS from there in the mornings. Journey time is about 10 minutes to Dundrum, 5 minute walk from the bridge if you get a 75, and then 15 minutes on the LUAS into St Stephen's Green.

Also, worth noting that there's not really anywhere in Ballinteer that's any more than 25 minutes walk (using back lanes) from Balally LUAS stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 AM2790

Hi
    Hope you don't mind me commenting here. I'm also thinking of moving to Balinteer, the Marlay View Apartments. I will be working on Kildare Street, what would be the best/fastest/cheapest way to get there and back? I know the luas at Balally is a bit away. Is there a park and rid nearby in Dundrum?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Hi
    Hope you don't mind me commenting here. I'm also thinking of moving to Balinteer, the Marlay View Apartments. I will be working on Kildare Street, what would be the best/fastest/cheapest way to get there and back? I know the luas at Balally is a bit away. Is there a park and rid nearby in Dundrum?

I am familiar with those apartments, it may simply make more sense to move to dundrum, park and ride is E5 per day. Dundrum is also much better location IMO, you dont have to drive for cinema, shops, pubs etc...

https://www.luas.ie/park-and-ride/

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The 14, 17, 44 and 61 all connect to Dundrum Luas stop. You can get bus + Luas tickets.

Alternatively, the 14, 44 and 61 will drop you to Aungier Street / St. Stephen's Green area.

See http://journeyplanner.transportforireland.ie/rm/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en

• Advertisement

Thanks for your reply! Dundrum is probably more ideal however we haven't been able to get a place there yet. Partly because the places available at the moment are just a bit outside our budget or we haven't even been able to even get viewings as rentals are gone in a blink of an eye. I know there are bus routes towards Dundrum and towards the city centre, they would probably be a better option than the luas park and ride.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for! I'm assuming the journey could take anywhere between 40 and 60mins?

AM2790 wrote: »
    Hi

Ok easy options:

14 and 16 bus serve either side of the complex and will both bring you to the city, but will take about 45-50mins at peak time to get to South Great Georges St.

The fastest option is to hop on an outbound 14 or eastbound 75 to Dundrum and then get the LUAS to the city - that option will take 25-30 minutes.

Third option is to walk to Balally LUAS and then take the LUAS. Journey time of about 20 minutes walk and just over 15 minutes on the tram.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I am familiar with those apartments, it may simply make more sense to move to dundrum, park and ride is E5 per day. Dundrum is also much better location IMO, you dont have to drive for cinema, shops, pubs etc...

https://www.luas.ie/park-and-ride/

Dundrum is also only 6 minutes away on the bus (14 and 75) or 20 minutes walk - hardly that far away.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Or cycle it in 10...

• Advertisement

lxflyer wrote: »
    Ok easy options:

14 and 16 bus serve either side of the complex and will both bring you to the city, but will take about 45-50mins at peak time to get to South Great Georges St.

The fastest option is to hop on an outbound 14 or eastbound 75 to Dundrum and then get the LUAS to the city - that option will take 25-30 minutes.

Third option is to walk to Balally LUAS and then take the LUAS. Journey time of about 20 minutes walk and just over 15 minutes on the tram.

Brilliant, thank you. The option of taking the bus to the luas is probably best. I currently drive to and from work from where I live, which takes abut 30-40 mins in the morning and at least 45 minutes in the evenings. So the time is working out around the same, but I'll just be moving around more rather than sitting in my car the whole time.

Advertisement