Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote Immersion Switch

Options
  • 22-06-2015 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

Hi

I seen a thread on bargains about a Smart Plug,http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057449034, more or less you can turn it on and off from your mobile phone.

I have Climote installed and asked them if they had option for Immersion but they said no. I just have standard on/off - sink/bath switch in at the immersion.

I was wondering is there any option out there to replace with wifi enabled switch? I guess you cannot use a plug because the power going into the immersion is too high?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

That is correct. The immersion would be too much for this I think they are usually 13Amp max and that would be really pushing it. Those units are for things like lamps etc and not a continuous load situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The wifi socket could be used to switch on/off a small contactor, to switch the immersion on and off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

On this remote control idea for elec items, either by fone or even the hand held ones I think one needs to think carefully about them because of the risks involved if they are left on rather than off.
    One example I have is using them for electric blankets where it was turned on instead of off, lucky the smoke alarm on the landing saved them as it went on fire while they were down stairs.

Re the immersion, I would use a contactor with an inbuilt timer so as it will go off after say an hour, regardless of human intervention.
    The last one I bought was about 40 euro

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

On this remote control idea for elec items, either by fone or even the hand held ones I think one needs to think carefully about them because of the risks involved if they are left on rather than off.
    One example I have is using them for electric blankets where it was turned on instead of off, lucky the smoke alarm on the landing saved them as it went on fire while they were down stairs.

Re the immersion, I would use a contactor with an inbuilt timer so as it will go off after say an hour, regardless of human intervention.

Any link?

Immersion should go off itself within an hour and stay off a lot of the time if cylinder is insulated, but timer into the setup is still a good idea. I use a lightwaverf setup for bringing on the gas boiler, with different time lengths to choose from setup into the app thing. Electric heater in shed is on it too, always with 1 hour timer and it turns itself off. I kept forgetting to turn off.

• Advertisement

I forgot to mention at the moment I never turn off the immersion, it is going 24 x7 7 days a week 365 days a year:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    I forgot to mention at the moment I never turn off the immersion, it is going 24 x7 7 days a week 365 days a year:)

How much are your electricity bills? They must be sky high.

aido79 wrote: »
    How much are your electricity bills? They must be sky high.

Not really, I keep it on sink all the time and it is handy to have hot water for the kids, thats why I do it. But really I would rather have timer/wifi switch to turn off and on when I want...

A quick look at the app gor the silvercrest wifi socket,and it seems to have timers you can program into it. So it might do the job with the addition of a 20 amp contactor.

You could get the socket, test out how well it works, then get someone to set it up with contactor, once the socket is shown to work well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    Not really, I keep it on sink all the time and it is handy to have hot water for the kids, thats why I do it. But really I would rather have timer/wifi switch to turn off and on when I want...

You would be far better off with a timer than leaving it on all of the time. Best thing to do is to get an electrician to come and fit one.

Advertisement