Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting a joint rest in the roasting tin

Options
  • 22-06-2015 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Quick question, I did a leg of lamb yesterday. when time was up i took it out of its tin and sat it resting on a wooden chopping board wrapped in foil.

a large puddle of juice ran out from around it making it a bit messy.

should i just let it rest wrapped in foil in the roasting tin then after 10/20 mins move it onto a chopping board, so its less messy carving?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I usually leave mine in the roasting tray covered in foil until I am ready to carve. Then I move it to my chopping board.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I usually stand it on a load of kitchen roll on the chopping board for a couple of minutes, then remove the kitchen roll and cover the meat with tinfoil. That way I can get the roasting tin washed while the meat's resting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I usually stand it on a load of kitchen roll on the chopping board for a couple of minutes, then remove the kitchen roll and cover the meat with tinfoil. That way I can get the roasting tin washed while the meat's resting.

:eek: Dark, sticky roasting tin is the only way to make gravy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

when i moved it onto the board i made sure to keep those juices but lost tons by moving it, so i think next time it rests in the tin

thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Minder wrote: »
    :eek: Dark, sticky roasting tin is the only way to make gravy.

Yes indeedy! When my joint moves to the chopping board for carving, the pan goes on the hob, for a good scrub with a wooden spoon to scrape off the gorgeous gunk, & reheat with a splash of hot water & maybe a spoon or two of Bisto (:eek: - oh, the shame!) .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I rest my joint on a tray thing with little groves (it was my Grandmothers) for the juice to go in I normally pour this off back into the gravy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I have a wooden carving board that has grooves in it that lead to a little 'reservoir' at one end to catch the juices too. These go into the gravy as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I move it straight to a warmed, deep plate and cover in foil to rest so I can then have ease of access to all those delicious juices from the roasting tin, nyummy. After a decent 30-40 minute rest I find there's a lot of juice on the plate too which can go back into the gravy also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Yes indeedy! When my joint moves to the chopping board for carving, the pan goes on the hob, for a good scrub with a wooden spoon to scrape off the gorgeous gunk, & reheat with a splash of hot water & maybe a spoon or two of Bisto (:eek: - oh, the shame!) .

I will hold my hand up and admit to Bisto use too...YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I effing love Bisto. You can't get it in Canada (well, there's a thing called Bisto but it's not the same). My gravies just haven't been working out well without it :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I love Bisto too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

:eek:
    Don't think I've ever wash mine the same day. Meat sits in there with all the juices. Unless if I'm entertaining then I'll place them in a serving platter after carving. Leftovers go back into the tin afterwards.

Advertisement