Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUIG Marine Science

Options
  • 22-06-2015 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I have just completed the Leaving Cert and my first course choice is Nuig's Marine Science. Now, I have done loads of research on the internet on this course and I cannot get much information on it at all. Not as much compared to GMIT's course on Freshwater marine biology.

I'm really interested in NUIG but it's lack of information on the course is a bit off putting.
    I'm wondering if anyone doing the course or knows someone doing the course could give me some information on the course, such as if you do a good bit of practical work, field trips, lab work, is it very difficult and are there good future career opportunities?
    -Thank you!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Half Rhodesian

I have just completed the Leaving Cert and my first course choice is Nuig's Marine Science. Now, I have done loads of research on the internet on this course and I cannot get much information on it at all. Not as much compared to GMIT's course on Freshwater marine biology.

I'm really interested in NUIG but it's lack of information on the course is a bit off putting.
    I'm wondering if anyone doing the course or knows someone doing the course could give me some information on the course, such as if you do a good bit of practical work, field trips, lab work, is it very difficult and are there good future career opportunities?
    -Thank you!
    hey buddy :)

well i just completed 1st year, earth/ocean science though.
    Marine science and eos students are pretty much thrown together in first year anyway.
    same exams, same lab sessions, only difference is marine science do a joint physics and chemistry course.
    Chem in semester 1 and physics in semester 2.
    eos students didnt have that.
    I found the eos/marine labs tricky enough at the best of times to be fair but the year as a whole was fairly doable looking back now.
    i did biology (one 2 hour lab a week.. on a fecking friday evening :mad:)
    Physics (one 2 hour lab a week)
    Maths (no labs and turned out to be the easiest to pass even though im completely rotten at it, it's not that bad to pass thanks to homework assignments, so i'd encourage you to have a think on that one)
    Eos (lab on mondays)

put the work in throughout the year, enjoy yourself by all means but dont be stupid either.
    quite a few wont be back next year simply because of their own stupidity.
    not going to labs/lectures. GO TO ALL YOUR LABS!!! dont miss any if you can.
    overall you should have little problems with first year anyway, im hardly the brightest bulb but i did grand in the end and so will you.

no field trips in first year, giants causeway in 2nd apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Blackstarxxx

hey buddy :)

well i just completed 1st year, earth/ocean science though.
    Marine science and eos students are pretty much thrown together in first year anyway.
    same exams, same lab sessions, only difference is marine science do a joint physics and chemistry course.
    Chem in semester 1 and physics in semester 2.
    eos students didnt have that.
    I found the eos/marine labs tricky enough at the best of times to be fair but the year as a whole was fairly doable looking back now.
    i did biology (one 2 hour lab a week.. on a fecking friday evening :mad:)
    Physics (one 2 hour lab a week)
    Maths (no labs and turned out to be the easiest to pass even though im completely rotten at it, it's not that bad to pass thanks to homework assignments, so i'd encourage you to have a think on that one)
    Eos (lab on mondays)

put the work in throughout the year, enjoy yourself by all means but dont be stupid either.
    quite a few wont be back next year simply because of their own stupidity.
    not going to labs/lectures. GO TO ALL YOUR LABS!!! dont miss any if you can.
    overall you should have little problems with first year anyway, im hardly the brightest bulb but i did grand in the end and so will you.

no field trips in first year, giants causeway in 2nd apparently.

Hey!! , Thank you so much for your reply! It's nice to have some understanding of what I could be doing this September. I'm quite excited, well even more so after reading that. A bit frightened to be doing physics. I won't be missing any lab work or lecturers for anything. Especially after hearing how badly people do when they stupidly don't attend them :)

Do you know If there's a work placement in the third year?
    Once again! Thank you so much :D

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Half Rhodesian

Hey!! , Thank you so much for your reply! It's nice to have some understanding of what I could be doing this September. I'm quite excited, well even more so after reading that. A bit frightened to be doing physics. I won't be missing any lab work or lecturers for anything. Especially after hearing how badly people do when they stupidly don't attend them :)

Do you know If there's a work placement in the third year?
    Once again! Thank you so much :D

Physics is actually pretty easy to pass as well with all the labs, wiley plus homework assignments, clicker is worth 5% for the year even.
    I really liked physics tbh and mark lang is unreal.
    Biology was fantastic minus the fecking biochemistry.
    you do biochem and botany in sem 1 and in sem 2 it's microbiology and zoology.
    Bio was my favourite tbh, especially in semester 2.
    Microbiology and zoology are fairly easy and extremely interesting.
    The bio exams, especially in semester 2 was a piece of piss.
    Im not too sure about work placement in third year, im only going into 2nd but hopefully there will be.
    forgot to mention about the maths that if you decide to do it, then choose MA 161 (pass maths), stay away from applied maths and Hons maths unless you have a serious flair for the subject.
    ah dont be timid about the year anyway, loads of help there if you need it.
    i mean if you just do a bit then the college will give you every chance to pass the year, they really will.
    Tutorials are a great help.

you'll be totally grand, like i said and i dont mind saying it either, im hardly einstein but the year was grand. Just do a bit and you'll be all good :)

Physics is actually pretty easy to pass as well with all the labs, wiley plus homework assignments, clicker is worth 5% for the year even.
    Im not too sure about work placement in third year, im only going into 2nd but hopefully there will be.
    forgot to mention about the maths that if you decide to do it, then choose MA 161 (pass maths), stay away from applied maths and Hons maths unless you have a serious flair for the subject.
    i mean if you just do a bit then the college will give you every chance to pass the year, they really will.

you'll be totally grand, like i said and i dont mind saying it either, im hardly einstein but the year was grand. Just do a bit and you'll be all good :)

Thank you :) Physics seems a lot more fun, especially with doing lab work! I'm definitely choosing MA 161 maths then! The course sounds fantastic really especially now knowing some of what's in it.Now here's to hoping I actually get this course in August ;)
    Thanks !! :D

Thank you :) Physics seems a lot more fun, especially with doing lab work! I'm definitely choosing MA 161 maths then! The course sounds fantastic especially now knowing some of what's in it.Now here's to hoping I actually get this course in August ;)
    Thanks !! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 masseygaffey

hi was just wondering if you went on and did this course and if so how did it go for you?

Advertisement