Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston Marathon Qualifing question

Options
  • 22-06-2015 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭

The qualifying times below are based upon each athlete's age on the date of the 2016 Boston Marathon (April 18, 2016).

AGE GROUP - MEN
    40-44 - 3hrs 15min 00sec
    45-49 - 3hrs 25min 00sec
    Quick question, I'm considering entering next years race.
    I have a BQ of 3:12:08.
    I achieved it at 44, will be 44 when registration opens but will be 45 on race day. So I'm wondering do I have a 12:52 buffer or a 2:52 buffer? Both will probably be good enough but it makes a difference with the rolling registration.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

I'm reading that as a 12:52 buffer, since it says 'your age on race day'.

Maybe you could email then for clarification?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

It is definitely your age on Race Day or at least it was for this years entrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

libelula wrote: »
    I'm reading that as a 12:52 buffer, since it says 'your age on race day'.

Maybe you could email then for clarification?
    Yeah that's what I was thinking too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

neilc wrote: »
    Yeah that's what I was thinking too.

Just a caveat Neilc, as far as I can recollect that's the minimum time accepted for the age group.

They open it a few days earlier for people in the age categories with quicker times and theoretically if enough of them entered they could fill up that age category allocation.

Unlikely to happen to you though with the time cushion.

TbL

Just a caveat Neilc, as far as I can recollect that's the minimum time accepted for the age group.

They open it a few days earlier for people in the age categories with quicker times and theoretically if enough of them entered they could fill up that age category allocation.

Unlikely to happen to you though with the time cushion.

TbL
    Thanks TbL,
    From what I can find anyone with minus 1m2s got in last year so if I can use the 45-49 category it'd be a cert! Cost only issue to overcome now!
    Neil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Thanks TbL,
    From what I can find anyone with minus 1m2s got in last year so if I can use the 45-49 category it'd be a cert! Cost only issue to overcome now!
    Neil

Age on race day is definitely how they've been doing it. I've been watching this myself as I'm also changing age categories between qualifier and race. The website is pretty clear about it. Just make sure you ran the QT within the window (think it's Sept 2014 - Sept 2015). Only had a 3 min buffer myself but managed to improve it by another 7 in Cork so should be fine.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Age on race day is definitely how they've been doing it. I've been watching this myself as I'm also changing age categories between qualifier and race. The website is pretty cale about it. Just make sure you ran the QT within the window (think it's Sept 2014 - Sept 2015). Only had a 3 min buffer myself but managed to improve it by another 7 in Cork so should be fine.
    Thanks Murph_D, yeah ran it in London this year. So it looks like both of us will be registering in the minus 10 minute window,I assume the website will only let us enter then if we meet the criteria anyway.

Registration opens September 14th.
    $240 for international athletes, ouch!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Stupid Boston and my eternal youth. 3:10 for 2016, even 2017 they'll be looking for sub 3:15.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Registration opens September 14th.
    $240 for international athletes, ouch!!

Wait until you start booking Hotels :eek::eek:

• Advertisement

ger664 wrote: »
    Wait until you start booking Hotels :eek::eek:

Sussing out Airb&b, prices not too bad believe it or not! :)

Sent the BAA an email ages ago and got this reply earlier today. It's as everyone thought alright.
    BAA wrote:
    Thank you Neil for your email and for your interest in the 2016 Boston Marathon.

It will be the age you are on our race day that we will be looking at. The age you are on the date of your qualifying marathon may differ. Detailed information may be found at: http://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/participant-information/qualifying/qualifying-standards.aspx

Registration opens on our website on 9/14/15 and detailed registration information may be found at: http://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/participant-information/athlete-registration.aspx

Best of luck with your future running endeavors.

Registration Services

Boston Athletic Association

One Ash Street

Hopkinton, MA 01748

508-435-6905 | 508-435-6590 (fax)

registration@baa.org

www.baa.org

Registration opens Monday! Who's in?

Qualifying Standards

Registration Calculator

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Qualifying Standards

Registration Calculator

I'm on for it again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Qualifying Standards

Registration Calculator

One more sleep to registration for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

FBOT01 wrote: »
    One more sleep to registration for me :)

5 for me.......

2 for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

When was the last time those QT's were revised?

They're fairly soft in all fairness, especially for 'vintage' lads like meself.

Softer than London and NYC (and now Berlin) anyway. I suppose it's about supply and demand? It seems there's plenty of room in Boston. The QTs seem consistent enough in terms of age grade scores.

Registration Complete :D:D..................now just have to wait!

• Advertisement

Registration Complete :D:D..................now just have to wait!

With 20 mins in hand you're home and hosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Itziger wrote: »
    When was the last time those QT's were revised?

They're fairly soft in all fairness, especially for 'vintage' lads like meself.

They were tightened up by 5 minutes across all bands for the 2013 marathon.

Fairly soft? They are certainly achievable if you're training with some degree of determination, that's for sure. They can't exactly apply world championship standards if they're are looking for 20000+ runners to achieve the qualifying target.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

Qualifying Standards

Registration Calculator

I've registered. Been a few years since I did it last but have been a spectator the last 2. Great race, can't wait. :)

Just got confirmation of Acceptance of Entry.....happy days!!

Now all I need is the flights, accommodation and the cash to pay for them :)

It's been a long time coming but I just registered!! :)
    Now all I need is the flights, accommodation and the cash to pay for them :)
    I hear ya!

Registration in. Fingers crossed there aren't too many faster aul lads out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Think I'm in.
    All pretty effortless and smooth.

Confirmation received. I'm in. Yikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Lizzy C

Looks like I missed out on a spot for Boston...being 38, I thought with a 3:38:33 marathon in Dublin last year, I might have done enough. But looks like you had to be 2m28s within the qualifying window (which was 3:40 for my category). #very disappointed
    Enjoy the adventure everybody who did get in!

Advertisement