Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT COLLEGE LOST MY EXAM PAPERS

Options
  • 22-06-2015 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hello all,

I recently sat my end of term/year exams and i then flew out to mexico on a 4 month trip scuba diving and teaching people how to scuba dive.

My parents received back the results last week and it said i hadnt sat 3 of my exams we later establsihed in fact i had and they had lost my exam papers.

Now, i am in mexico, quite expensive to return if they want me to resit the exams. my return flight is already booked and paid for in september. Will DIT make me return back home early becuase of their own stupidity? Will i have to pay for their Mistakes?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

What did the college say when you phoned them?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭themissymoo

Have you contacted the college? Did you definitely write your exam number on the paper, and not your student number? It's strange that a multiple of your papers went missing rather than just one.

As you know, during every exam a record is taken of what students were present in the exam hall so they have no reason to deny you were there, as it's recorded on paper.

Also, get in contact with these lecturers asap, explain what happened and ask for advice regarding repeats as they'll be harder to contact later in the year if it turns out you do need to repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 gary9061

college came back to me and said because they lost it, i failed! Because that fukcing makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭endacl

There's more to this...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Something doesn't sound right.

How can 3 separate exam papers for the same person get lost? Would I be right in saying the 3 papers would never be stored together? Except until maybe after they've been marked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

gary9061 wrote: »
    Hello all,

I recently sat my end of term/year exams and i then flew out to mexico on a 4 month trip scuba diving and teaching people how to scuba dive.

My parents received back the results last week and it said i hadnt sat 3 of my exams we later establsihed in fact i had and they had lost my exam papers.

Now, i am in mexico, quite expensive to return if they want me to resit the exams. my return flight is already booked and paid for in september. Will DIT make me return back home early becuase of their own stupidity? Will i have to pay for their Mistakes?

Thank you

Not Ireland but here are a couple of examples of how this situation was dealt with elsewhere
    York
    Birmingham

You need to find out if there is any formal policy in place where exam papers are lost. You also need to work out what you want and ask them for that. Chances are that this doesn't happen very often and they'll open to any reasonable suggestion. You might be able to come to an agreement about taking results from coursework and the one exam paper that did survive. Just make sure you take into account any long term implications of what you agree.

If they were to insist on you repeating during the repeats (which doesn't sound reasonable to me) then it would be entirely reasonable for you to ask them to cover all of your costs and compensate you for the holiday time and/or earnings lost.

Edit to add that this is a consumer complaint like any other one so if you're not getting treated fairly then just keep escalating up the food chain. TBH I'd expect that a lost exam paper will have been noted quite high up the food chain.

what do you mean? dont message if you cant help me at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

what do you mean? dont message if you cant help me at all

Perhaps they looked at your posting history? You posted the below message less than a year ago (3/8/14) and you've now completed a year at university and are in Mexico at the age of 16?
    hi all,

im 15 and i am starting up as a sole trader!! I'm just filling in the TR1 form and i was wondering, is there anyway i can send this off by computer or does it have to be by post? another question, how long should it take for me to become a registered company once I've done this? or do i have to fill in other forms aswell?!?!?! is there anything else i need to do?

thanks everyone for the help

im talking on behalf of my brother who is 22 in mexico

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

college came back to me and said because they lost it, i failed! Because that fukcing makes sense

That didn't happen :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

im talking on behalf of my brother who is 22 in mexico

Well why wouldn't you have said that in the first place? Why say "I" the whole way through. And why be ignorant to people who are trying to help?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭daithi84

:rolleyes:

thats what we are being told at the moment

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Well why wouldn't you have said that in the first place? Why say "I" the whole way through. And why be ignorant to people who are trying to help?

because thats what i was told to do and when the matter is as serious as it is we dont have time for arseholes

thats what we are being told at the moment

What exams/modules were lost? What course is you/your brother studying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Tails142

If I know DIT, and I do know DIT, if they lost your exam paper the lecturer would just make up a result and give it to you and not say anything.

Tails142 wrote: »
    If I know DIT, and I do know DIT, if they lost your exam paper the lecturer would just make up a result and give it to you and not say anything.

thanks for will mention it

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

Based on my own college experiences, this mean 3 different lecturers lost 3 different papers for one person out of hundreds. If this did happen it was most likely an admin error. Essentially someone accidentally deleting a row or column in an excel document.

YOUR BROTHER should contact each lecturer separately by email, IF there has been contact with the exams office, he should forward that information to each of his lecturers. If they need to speak to him in person he could offer to facilitate them on Skype, but this is something only he can deal with. If it's already proven that he sat his exams that's the hard part over. Now he needs to make sure there is no record of his results before looking into the college policy on lost exams.

Mentioning to anyone in DIT that someone on the internet told you they probably fake students' results will not help you or your brother. Don't go down that route. Keep it official.

I don't believe any of this to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭joeguevara

What were the names of the courses, who were the lecturers and what dates were the exams?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

because thats what i was told to do and when the matter is as serious as it is we dont have time for arseholes

We don't have time for name-calling either. Cutting you a small piece of slack as you are probably young.

Get your brother to contact the college. He's a big boy now and can do it himself.

Thread closed. Asked and answered.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement